Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas And Cold Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Related to cold weather - does the M3 have any windscreen condensation issues? It's a pet hate of mine in my current ICE and I remember seeing in one YouTube M3 review clip it was mentioned. Just wondering if it was an isolated issue (perhaps dodgy seals) on that specific M3 or if it's a more widespread issue (like on my current car). Having to use paper towels on the inside windscreen before starting a winter morning journey annoys me...

Yeah that might help but in my current car there's a ridiculous amount of condensation on a cold morning, I would have thought even cabin pre-heat would struggle to get rid of it unless running for an hour or so!

You will be surprised how effective pre-heating can be. It's not like an ICE that takes ages to warm up. Switch it on remotely maybe 15 mins before you leave and you should be fine. Even if you do need to switch it on for longer, it's no big deal unless you are not plugged in and very stretched on range.

I agree... just can’t find the extra 9k to make it happen this time

I think it's not worth the 9k difference in price tag unless you drive 200+ miles very day.

I do that maybe 6 times a year and the extra 30 min for an additional stop is not worth the difference.

Worst case scenario is I'll take the diesel during the winter. Later on, when range becomes even grater, I'll change the diesel for something that can do 400+ miles.

Right now you have to pay 9k for something I'll maybe use 6 times a year.

I'ts actually really annoying that you cant buy the full premium interior in an SR+ and goes some way to indicate that either SR+ is priced too low or LR is priced too high.

Reactions: davidmc and AMC7
I think it's not worth the 9k difference in price tag unless you drive 200+ miles very day.

I do that maybe 6 times a year and the extra 30 min for an additional stop is not worth the difference.

Worst case scenario is I'll take the diesel during the winter. Later on, when range becomes even grater, I'll change the diesel for something that can do 400+ miles.

Right now you have to pay 9k for something I'll maybe use 6 times a year.

I'ts actually really annoying that you cant buy the full premium interior in an SR+ and goes some way to indicate that either SR+ is priced too low or LR is priced too high.
I agree most of my journeys are very small, probably rarely even do a 100 mile journey, and even so there are superchargers on route. For miles the SR+ is fine, I would have liked the more premium interior but can't justify the extra when I don't need the range, if it was a little more for the premium, which is mostly software locked + speakers, I would have considered that.

Or that you simply crave the extra performance, AWD and premium interior etc. I agree on the range thing though and I wouldn't bother with LR if it wasn't for the other things it brings apart from range. I think the price differential is pretty fair, especially the P+ after the last round of price reductions!

Sorry I could be stupid, but how do you come to that conclusion?

Simply because they need to rely on downgrading interior features using software to upsell the LR.

Put another way, they use interior to make the 9k difference seem worth it, even though physically the car is the same.

You get one extra motor and an additional 24Kwh capacity... That, by itself is not worth 9k. So they feel the need to lock down features such as browser, satnav live traffic and spotify and disable speakers to make it seem worth more.

Just to put it into perspective, it will cost between $5k-$7k to replace the entire model 3 battery according to Elon. So if you take the $7k being the LR battery, you could buy the SR+ and replace it with an LR battery for less than the cost of the difference when new. I don't know the price of the motor, but I doubt its that expensive.

All other features (minus the special inverter for the performance) between LR and SR are identical and are simply disabled.

Another advantage of larger battery is that the overall life of the battery should (ignoring greater efficiency of lighter RWD vs heavier AWD) be around 1/3 more as each charge cycle uses up relatively less of the batteries theoretical charge cycles. Not a problem for those keeping the cars short term/low mileage, but it may start to become a factor as cars get into the 100k mile life.

Another advantage of larger battery is that the overall life of the battery should (ignoring greater efficiency of lighter RWD vs heavier AWD) be around 1/3 more as each charge cycle uses up relatively less of the batteries theoretical charge cycles. Not a problem for those keeping the cars short term/low mileage, but it may start to become a factor as cars get into the 100k mile life.

Can hardly call paying for essentially 2 batteries up front an advantage. If it costs 7k to replace it outside of warranty why pay an extra 9k today to only get 1 battery?

In reality you would only need to replace some of the batteries with new ones, so the cost wont even be for an entire brand new one.

Go and have a look at the US forums for people replacing batteries today. The cost is not that high.

Simply because they need to rely on downgrading interior features using software to upsell the LR.

Put another way, they use interior to make the 9k difference seem worth it, even though physically the car is the same.

You get one extra motor and an additional 24Kwh capacity... That, by itself is not worth 9k. So they feel the need to lock down features such as browser, satnav live traffic and spotify and disable speakers to make it seem worth more.

Just to put it into perspective, it will cost between $5k-$7k to replace the entire model 3 battery according to Elon. So if you take the $7k being the LR battery, you could buy the SR+ and replace it with an LR battery for less than the cost of the difference when new. I don't know the price of the motor, but I doubt its that expensive.

All other features (minus the special inverter for the performance) between LR and SR are identical and are simply disabled.

The way I see it is that the base model makes the minimum margin feasible, while the LR and P models have a more healthy profit margin, which they have actually now stripped back considerably in recent months. It might well cost Tesla relatively little to upgrade these cars to the higher specs, but that doesn't mean there isn't still fair value for money in them for the end user.

It wasn't that long ago that Tesla were charging £18k to go from 75 to 100 kWh batteries on the S/X with no other upgrades whatsoever. So £9k for 24 kWh plus a significant performance upgrade, AWD and additional interior features does not seem that unreasonable. The P+ upgrade is a bagain too for the further performance gain. Basically for around £12k you go from a respectably quick family car to supercar quick performance with a third more range. They would be absolutely stupid to give that sort of performance away at cost price while they are competing against ICE competitors charging much more money for similar performance upgrades.

Just to put it into perspective, it will cost between $5k-$7k to replace the entire model 3 battery according to Elon.

I don't for one second believe that is going to be the actual fitted cost of a new battery today. That sounds more like the production cost of the cells alone.

Edit:

I found this story

Tesla Puts Price on Model 3 Battery Module Replacement Around $5000-$7000

Looks like the cost is for replacement battery modules (not the entire pack). It's also full of ifs and buts and not something you can actually buy today. The numbers in the article are not even consistent. Is it $3-7k or $5-7k? All sounds like Elon shooting his mouth off yet again.

Last edited:
I'd go for a LR RWD with partial premium (so just an SR+ with moar battery) if it was a reasonable price difference.

I'm hoping that when I actually get my SR+ my range anxiety will go away with actual experience. Wishful thinking?

I don't go far often, but recently spent a week bumbling about East Anglia... unless you really like Thetford you're relying on 3rd party charging, and even that is slim pickings outside of Norwich and Ipswich.

Last edited:
I never really had range anxiety with a 30kw leaf with half the range.. it's mainly a thing talked about by motoring journalists I think.

The less you have the more you have to plan stops (doubly for non-tesla as the SC network is a huge bonus) but no reason for it to be a cause of anxiety.

Reactions: TestPilot
I never really had range anxiety with a 30kw leaf with half the range.. it's mainly a thing talked about by motoring journalists I think.

The less you have the more you have to plan stops (doubly for non-tesla as the SC network is a huge bonus) but no reason for it to be a cause of anxiety.

I figured in my recent trip that it would have been fine, I'd have had free charging at Norwich (with paid parking), same again at Ipswich (one of their multi storey carparks has 28 type 2 points!), and probably supercharge at South Mimms on the way home. Just living is believing I guess!