Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas appreciating after autopilot, how will that work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tander

Jul 23, 2012
As I understand it, Teslas might appreciate once they complete Autopilot. Will they appreciate? How done will Autopilot have to be? Will it be significant? Will it be fairly long term or just sort of a blip until other systems/retrofits come online? Will older Tesla's that don't have it depreciate faster?

Side note: Let's say Autopilot makes a car much safer than any other system, is Tesla obligated to make the safety part free to other car manufactures or make aftermarket kits available? As a shareholder I would be proud to see them do it if it saved a lot of lives. What if they gave all of autopilot away for free in exchange for a cut of the taxi revenue? What about insurance ramifications?

Anyway I thought this might make for an interesting discussion since it is supposedly on the horizon, just like last year, and the year before that...

Personally, I can't see it happening. If there's really $300K to be made just in owning a Tesla, more people will buy one and supply and demand will take over. With so many Teslas looking for people to drive places, the price you can charge will have to lower in order to complete with the other Teslas. Then you're not making $300K but far less, and it'll be a race to the bottom. Rides will eventually become free or even less than free, and Tesla owners will desperately try making a few cents by subjecting you to ads the entire trip. The billboards won't be outside the window they'll be inside the car and all over the outside.

my confirmation bias isnt up to the task of understanding the "car as an appreciating asset" line.

The best I can do is project that the new price of autopilot/FSD will increase as its capabilities increase and thus used cars will get that newer technology for free adding to their value and demand, but that increase in the value of the updated software isn't likely to make up for the general used car depreciation -- a used Tesla with latest software will always sell for less than a new Tesla with latest software.

With the general Tesla aversion to advertising, I don't see it as likely that they will try to monetize eyeballs in the cars -- even at supercharger stops. Instead, more video games.

There has been a ton of discussion on this. Search the market thread. There is also a specific sticky thread on Tesla Network.

Anyway, here is the reason Tesla will appreciate, if and when, robotaxi is possible. Note that nobody really thinks Robotaxi is possible in the near term i.e. nobody believes Musk's timeline.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

To expand on this - using ARK worksheet - this is what I get.

Cost to consumer for SAV : $1/mile

Payback period : 4 years

IRR : 20%

Price of 250 mile range EV : $270,000

That's, right. Even if you pay $270k for the car, you still end up with an IRR of 20%. This is at $1/mile - which is 50% lower than Uber/Lyft rate of $2/mile, which is itself highly discounted compared to $3.47 taxi rate.

So, if Tesla wants to sell a real working robotaxi, they should charge $270k.​

As I understand it, Teslas might appreciate once they complete Autopilot. Will they appreciate? How done will Autopilot have to be? Will it be significant? Will it be fairly long term or just sort of a blip until other systems/retrofits come online? Will older Tesla's that don't have it depreciate faster?

Side note: Let's say Autopilot makes a car much safer than any other system, is Tesla obligated to make the safety part free to other car manufactures or make aftermarket kits available? As a shareholder I would be proud to see them do it if it saved a lot of lives. What if they gave all of autopilot away for free in exchange for a cut of the taxi revenue? What about insurance ramifications?

Anyway I thought this might make for an interesting discussion since it is supposedly on the horizon, just like last year, and the year before that...

There are two parts to the future appreciation, but both are fully dependent on delivering Robotaxi functionality, not just Autopilot driver assist features. 1 is delivery on Robotaxis. 2 is increased probability of delivery on Robotaxis leading to higher value for the FSD option (but i'm not sure this increased option value alone will ever be enough to offset normal car depreciation).

I think the reason some people seem to struggle to get their head around the appreciation is just that they simply do not accept Robotaxis are ever possible. If Tesla does indeed deliver on Robotaxi functionality, there is 100% certainty the price of Robotaxi capable Teslas will appreciate significantly, I don't see how anyone can even debate this. What would you pay for something that can potentially initially print you over $70k per year with zero work?

For example, a single Tesla Robotaxi in the US with the same pricing and utilisation rates as Uber/Lyft ($2.5 per mile, 70% passenger miles) should be able to drive around 88k miles per year (15 hours per day, average 16 miles per hour), making $150k revenue and $138k gross profit in a single year. How much of this gross profit goes to Tesla vs the owner is entirely up to Tesla. If Tesla takes a higher cut of revenue, then the value of the Robotaxi to an owner is lower. I would guess around 50% of gross profit could be a good balance, leaving around $70k gross profit for the car owner. On this structure a new Tesla owner likely has to pay well over $100k upfront price of the FSD option to Tesla upfront.

Uber & Lyft's overall average revenue per mile are lower than the US due to Asia/Latam country and scooter mix, but overall in 2018 Uber and Lyft together made 30 billion miles of customer journeys making $50bn in gross bookings and with 5 million active drivers in the final quarter. This 30 billion miles and 5 million drivers could be replaced by about 500k Tesla Robotaxis - and on the Robotaxi cost base these journeys would make a total $43bn gross profit (compared to the approximately $0 gross profit made by Uber & Lyft).

Of course, if Tesla released 500k Robotaxis the cars wouldn't make quite this much money - the increased number of taxis on the roads would reduce utilisation from the current c.70%. While Robotaxis are still competing with Uber/Lyft (US breakeven at $2.5-3 per mile) and taxis (US breakeven at $3-3.5 per mile), there is no reason for Tesla to price its Robotaxi journeys much less than $2.5 per mile in the US.
Looking globally, beyond Uber & Lyft's markets, I think it would take 2 to 4 million Robotaxis to put all ride hailing, taxi and car rentals out of business, at which point Robotaxis start competing with themselves and then there is an incentive to lower pricing to increase ride hailing adoption rates. But until there are 2-4 million Robotaxis on the road globally, each Robotaxi is still likely to charge around $2 per mile and make over $100k gross profit per year.

As we go from around 4 million Robotaxis globally to around 200-300 million, the price per mile is likely to be slowly driven down towards the cost of personal car ownership of around $0.6-0.7 per mile (as more and more people make the decision to rely fully on Robotaxis). Past this point, as more Robotaxis are built, price should be driven closer to the EV AV operating cost of c.$0.2 per mile, with Robotaxis now driving a significant increase in annual miles travelled as people switch from public transport, travel more due to the lower cost and potentially move further into the suburbs now transport is more easy. But this is a long time away. I think Robotaxis should still make over 50% margins until more than 200 million are on the roads.

I just replayed the autonomy day portions again, and as I thought i remembered, the full statement of the prediction was a statement about 1 million cars that are ***hardware capable of being robotaxis**** being on the road next year..

but then he later confusingly summarizes the point without making the distinction btw cars with the hardware being on the road vs the system being in place and operating. This leads many to think the promise was that the system wld be up and running in 2020, not merely the cars with the hardware would be on the road.

Was this clarified in any subsequent EC or otherwise?

I just replayed the autonomy day portions again, and as I thought i remembered, the full statement of the prediction was a statement about 1 million cars that are ***hardware capable of being robotaxis**** being on the road next year..
In the ARK podcast he said they will have FC this year and one more year to make it reliable enough to be able to sleep in the car.

[QUOTE="EVNow, post: 3975892, member: 1798"... reliable enough to be able to sleep in the car.[/QUOTE]
IMO that sleep in the car thing could be pretty profound and bring Tesla a new competitor, airlines. I could see opting to sleep in a car overnight instead of schlepping to the airport for a short flight. Also love the idea of being able to have a car drop me off at one trailhead and pick up at another. Wonder how long it will be before it would work in snowy conditions.

IMO that sleep in the car thing could be pretty profound and bring Tesla a new competitor, airlines. I could see opting to sleep in a car overnight instead of schlepping to the airport for a short flight. Also love the idea of being able to have a car drop me off at one trailhead and pick up at another. Wonder how long it will be before it would work in snowy conditions.
5 years. Robo cars are always 5 years away.

Google's Sergey Brin: You'll ride in robot cars within 5 years

ps : Sergey Brin said that in 2012 ;)

• Funny
Reactions: tander
Tesla probably has working robotaxis today, they're just waiting for fusion power to be widely available to charge them.
Fortunately we'll have those moon bases capable of mining helium-3. Really, the whole thing is pretty much a solved problem. :)
Seriously, though, I love dreamers and people who push boundaries and conventions. But reality set a hard limits, and the other side of that line is just fantasyland.

• Funny
Reactions: tander
Fortunately we'll have those moon bases capable of mining helium-3. Really, the whole thing is pretty much a solved problem. :)
Seriously, though, I love dreamers and people who push boundaries and conventions. But reality set a hard limits, and the other side of that line is just fantasyland.
I guess it's fair to look at it as a solved problem in the sense of knowing how to do it, but I guess knowing how and doing are not always the same thing.