Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas are being delivered too fast for Supercharger Growth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model Y in June of 2021 and then my Model 3 in August of 2021. Going to a Supercharger near me or on a trip to Vegas or San Diego was just a matter of mapping to the Superchargers in route and plugging in. My last couple trips it seems there are a lot more Teslas on the road and it’s overcrowding the Superchargers. So much so that when you get within a mile or so of them, it’s like a race and suddenly the rude drivers are whipping past you and cutting you off for a slightly less wait time to start charging. Anyone else notice this? My last trip to Vegas took 35 min to get an open charger in Baker. Out of curiosity to see if it was better, I stopped in Primm and the line there looked like possibly an hour wait. Maybe I’ll have to rent an ICE vehicle for my long road trips despite my Range. Defeats the purpose of getting an EV though.

Yes, but my post is about Superchargers.
Okay, but why do you have to only charge at Superchargers?

Superchargers are cheaper
It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes, EVgo and Electrify America are cheaper.

and faster
This is definitely not true.

For example, the 350 kW chargers that Electrify America and EVgo use are definitely "faster" than 150 kW V2 Supercharger

The same stops I had on my route are now overcrowded.
That's because you (and others) refuse to use anything else.

Okay, but why do you have to only charge at Superchargers?

It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes, EVgo and Electrify America are cheaper.

This is definitely not true.

For example, the 350 kW chargers that Electrify America and EVgo use are definitely "faster" than 150 kW V2 Supercharger

That's because you (and others) refuse to use anything else.
This post is specifically about Superchargers. I use other types of chargers all the time so your accusation is irrelevant and uncalled for.

So why should Tesla spend millions of dollars installing new Superchargers when there are other fast chargers nearby that aren't full?
Just move on please. Your irrelevance to the intention of this post is getting out of hand. Please just recognize that it’s about superchargers being less available than they were and I’m inquiring if others notice this as well.

I understand your concern. It’s been bad during the holidays even before the huge production jump of the past few years. Tesla has continued to invest in SC but it’s a bit of a whack a mole situation where they fix some areas but others need more SC. Currently, they are putting in 80 additional SC at Harris
Ranch in central CA. Even with an additional 40 not far away at Kettleman.

Using SC, requires planning for time of day rates, busy SC times and availability of options, like Hotels or restaurants that have charging available.

I have never found EA to have reasonable pricing. Most I’ve seen have been $.40+/kWh which is almost the same as $4/gallon gasoline.

I understand your concern. It’s been bad during the holidays even before the huge production jump of the past few years. Tesla has continued to invest in SC but it’s a bit of a whack a mole situation where they fix some areas but others need more SC. Currently, they are putting in 80 additional SC at Harris
Ranch in central CA. Even with an additional 40 not far away at Kettleman.

Using SC, requires planning for time of day rates, busy SC times and availability of options, like Hotels or restaurants that have charging available.

I have never found EA to have reasonable pricing. Most I’ve seen have been $.40+/kWh which is almost the same as $4/gallon gasoline.
Electrify America is $0.31/kWh with membership even during peak hours.

There are places elsewhere other to change other than Superchargers.

For example, in Baker, Electrify America has 8 DCFCs, EVgo has 6, and ChargePoint has 4.
Serious question...how are you fast charging at these stations? As far as I know, Tesla isn't selling a CCS adapter in North America.

I use third party chargers for level 2 charging, but that doesn't fly in many situations.

Tesla can add them to the onboard navigation.

In fact, Tesla already added EVgo charging stations.
Well I'l be dammed... EvGo has chargers with Tesla connectors now (actually since 2021). Thanks for bringing that to my attention 👍
(Not that I would ever use one on my MS90D since I have free SuC. :cool:)

Tesla is trying to add more SuC locations but really they are at the mercy of property owners, local governments and chips/part shortages. Tesla Almost Doubled The Rate Of Supercharger Deployment In Q1 2022

Reactions: kayak1
Well I'l be dammed... EvGo has chargers with Tesla connectors now (actually since 2021). Thanks for bringing that to my attention 👍
(Not that I would ever use one on my MS90D since I have free SuC. :cool:)

Tesla is trying to add more SuC locations but really they are at the mercy of property owners, local governments and chips/part shortages. Tesla Almost Doubled The Rate Of Supercharger Deployment In Q1 2022
Yes, EVgo provides CHAdeMO adapter on-site.

Reactions: cwerdna
It was super easy to get the ccs1 from Korea definitely a nice option if you need some flexibility. @JerryT75 if you're having issues figuring out how just ask it cost me 318.50 for the adapter so don't fall for the nonsense overpriced $1-2k adapters that are being sold on the forum or ebay.
Just check out CCS Adapter - ? or go directly to Get your Tesla's CCS1 Adapter From Korea!
Painless process and takes 10days or so

Reactions: KJD and JerryT75
It takes a long time to negotiate with site owners, get permits, get power brought in or upgraded by utilities, get chargers built (especially with parts shortages), get the construction crews lined up, get permits to operate etc.
It is inevitable that cars sales will outstrip charger installations.
That said, there were plenty of chargers built out in the earlier days that were heavily under used, so you could argue customer demand is simply catching up with charger availability.
Yes there are busy routes in high car sale areas that will need upgrading faster than others, but I just finished a 5,000+ mile trip around the south west including routes such as Vegas to LA, LA to SF via PCH and so on. I did not have to wait for a charger even once. I came close in Flagstaff Arizona, the next guy had to wait about 3 minutes but that was it. 2/3rds of the charging locations were v2 but I only shared a charger twice.
You can’t expect Tesla to put enough chargers at every location for peak holiday demand, at least not yet, that would be a massive waste of money.

It takes a long time to negotiate with site owners, get permits, get power brought in or upgraded by utilities, get chargers built (especially with parts shortages), get the construction crews lined up, get permits to operate etc.
It is inevitable that cars sales will outstrip charger installations.
That said, there were plenty of chargers built out in the earlier days that were heavily under used, so you could argue customer demand is simply catching up with charger availability.
Yes there are busy routes in high car sale areas that will need upgrading faster than others, but I just finished a 5,000+ mile trip around the south west including routes such as Vegas to LA, LA to SF via PCH and so on. I did not have to wait for a charger even once. I came close in Flagstaff Arizona, the next guy had to wait about 3 minutes but that was it. 2/3rds of the charging locations were v2 but I only shared a charger twice.
You can’t expect Tesla to put enough chargers at every location for peak holiday demand, at least not yet, that would be a massive waste of money.
It takes more planning to build cars than charging stations. It's the CCS1 vehicle builder who are negligent, except Rivian.

Tesla has a dozen plus stations opening this year in all large metropolitan areas. Tesla may not feel that they have a problem except in a few areas where they have not been able to build large stations. Working with PG&E in particular must be a pain.

Anyone with CCS1 enabled in their Tesla has alternatives But unfortuenexntly it perhaps makes sense for west coat owners to look at 400 mile EVs..

My last trip to Vegas took 35 min to get an open charger in Baker.
As anyone knows, all of the infrastructure between LA and 'Vegas is overwhelmed on Friday evenings and Sundays - holiday are complete disasters. The peak to average problem there is crazy with lots of travel at peak times and nearly nobody most of the time.
Superchargers are no exception. However, as we see from www.supercharge.info, Tesla is planning to more-than-double the Superchargers in Baker.
Like with all things Tesla, timing (including the definition of "soon") is always uncertain, final results are usually incredible though.