Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas to Have Windows Auto-Close When It Rains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon replies with "sure" in response to a tweet asking him for the ability to have a Tesla's windows to automatically close when parked and detecting rain. We'll see if this happens soon but sounds promising given the straightforward, affirmative answer.
Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 11.55.17 PM.png

Electric windows typically have a sensor system built-in and will roll back down if they encounter a significant obstacle. It might hurt a bit but shouldn't harm. I'm sure Teslas have the same system.
I know this sounds crazy, but I was completely unaware of this feature. I feel like I know a lot about cars and I am one of the few people that will sit and read a manual cover-to-cover. But it turns out my 2008 Acura (car before my 2018 Tesla) also has this feature - my daughter drives it now and we tested it last night. It seems the "anti-pinch" feature came along about the same time as "auto-up" windows (maybe circa 2002?) I guess it's been so long since I was a stupid kid and would roll the electric window up on my arm just to see what it would do. But in hindsight this feature just makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: GtiMart
This is really indicative of the thought (and veracity) behind Elon's tweets. Having the windows automatically roll up at any point is not wise because there may be extremities (arms, legs, dog noses, etc.) hanging out of them. And even if you use the weight sensors and cabin camera to determine occupancy, it is still not a slam dunk and is going to require some testing and validation. Do you think Elon thought about all this before tweeting "Sure?"
It's a simple software update, and all the other sensors in place would override the instructions, just like if someone had pushed the button from inside the car. He also didn't say it would be available next week.

I know this sounds crazy, but I was completely unaware of this feature. I feel like I know a lot about cars and I am one of the few people that will sit and read a manual cover-to-cover. But it turns out my 2008 Acura (car before my 2018 Tesla) also has this feature - my daughter drives it now and we tested it last night. It seems the "anti-pinch" feature came along about the same time as "auto-up" windows (maybe circa 2002?) I guess it's been so long since I was a stupid kid and would roll the electric window up on my arm just to see what it would do. But in hindsight this feature just makes a lot of sense.

Yes, and dirty car windows will trigger it (especially cars from VWAG like VW, Audi, Porsche, Bentley) as the windows have a tight felt strip that seals against them. Once the pinch protector is triggered, if you keep trying to roll the window up, it will disable it completely. Then you'll have to reset the window switch.