Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslaunch Refresh Stalk kit install and review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

strider

Oct 20, 2010
NE Oklahoma
Hello Everyone,

I installed my Teslaunch stalks this past weekend and wanted to post my installation notes and general review. Note that I received my stalk kit for free as part of a giveaway from Teslaunch. I am otherwise unaffiliated with the company.

The installation video from Teslaunch is very good.
Use that as the basis for your install. I will provide some pictures and commentary as I go.

Tools you will need:
Small screwdriver to press the lever to remove the airbag
10mm Allen socket and Breaker bar to remove the bolt holding the wheel
T-15 and T-20 torx bits
electrical tape (to attach the cable to the threader)
spudger or plastic trim removal tool
PXL_20240617_182756409.jpg

First off, adjust the steering wheel to be all of the way out and down. Next, remove the airbag. There is a small hole on either side of the wheel. I used a small flat blade screwdriver. When you push it you will feel a spring-loaded lever. Press in on one side and lift that side of the airbag. Then do the other side. Once both are free you can remove the airbag and unplug it. Once you do the car will squawk about a safety system error or something. Just ignore that for now.

At that point you're looking at this:
PXL_20240616_222325468.jpg

Remove the upper trim per the video. For the lower trim you will need to remove these 2 screws with your T-20 Torx bit.
PXL_20240616_223549531.jpg

After removing the screws, the lower trim will drop down but will hang by a cable. This is fine.

The next step is to plug in the cable and route the other end to the steering column. Following the install video, you want to gently pry down on the panel above the phone tray and it will move down and then towards you. You will have to wiggle it a bit to clear all of the connectors.

Tape the small end of the cable (with 2 connectors) to the white plastic rod that came with the kit. I would spend a little time straightening it out before you try this, otherwise it will curl up behind the dash. I wrapped each connector with electrical tape so it wouldn't snag.
PXL_20240616_224352595.jpg

Fish the white plastic rod behind the panel with the blue plug and you will be able to see it peek out next to the steering column. Grab it and pull it through and untape the connectors. Now you will plug the large connector end of the cable into the blue plug. I had to remove the blue plug from the panel in order to connect the large end of the cable that came with the kit. To do that you will need to use your screwdriver to press in on the side tabs (red arrow) underneath the clip in the panel (green arrow). Plug in the large end of the cable that came with the kit and press the blue plug back into the panel. Make sure the new wires are behind the clip (purple arrow). Reinstall the panel.
PXL_20240616_225046428.jpg

Now it is time to install the stalks. The turn signal stalk slides in from the left. Be careful to align the slots in the top and bottom and then slide it in. Make sure you press it all the way in until it clicks. In this picture the clip is not all the way in.
PXL_20240616_225551589.jpg

This is how it should look:
PXL_20240616_230538301.jpg

The drive selector drops in from the top and is secured with 2 T-15 Torx screws (supplied with the kit). You can see where they go in these pictures:
PXL_20240616_225937886.jpg

PXL_20240616_230126476.jpg

Just snug them up - you are screwing into soft plastic.

Now we reassemble. Bring the bottom trim up and then back. There is a clip that needs to line up on the bottom. Slide it into place and then reinstall the 2 T-20 screws that you removed before.
PXL_20240616_230341118.jpg

Continued in next post....

• Helpful
Reactions: jlv1
Get the new upper trim piece that came with the kit. Fully attach the bit of pleather and set it into place. It will take a bit of fiddling to get the small inserts installed but they will fit. The one with the post goes on the left (turn signal side). I ended up having to shove the post into the lower trim piece and then clip it into upper piece.
PXL_20240616_231021124.jpg

PXL_20240616_231156300.jpg

PXL_20240616_231334190.jpg

Now just reinstall the wheel, plug in in the buttons, reinstall the bolt (Idk the torque spec - I just made it pretty snug with the breaker bar), plug in the airbag, an then push it back into place - the spring-loaded clips will grab it.

At that point you are read to rock!
PXL_20240616_231606512.jpg

My impressions:

They work! I am definitely pleased. For the turn signals, there is no difference between a partial press and a full press as there is in the 3/Y. But for the S/X there is no need. Remember, the stalks are impersonating the buttons on the wheel so there is no concept of partial and full presses. Wiper button works as expected. Pulling back on the turn signal honks the horn. Pressing forward flashes the high beams. I think they could reverse those functions as we are used to pulling back to flash the high beams - forward could then be used to honk the horn.

On the right side, PRD all work as expected. Pressing full down to engage AP/TACC does not seem to work but Teslaunch does not claim this functionality for the kit. The right scroll wheel is right there for AP/TACC functions.

One day in I am about 50/50 for using the stalks vs the wheel buttons out of habit but I think the wheel buttons will fade in time. My wife is definitely happier - between the wheel and the stalks my car is much closer to her 2018 MS now.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have!

Great write up from an experienced Tesla owner!
Questions:
Is it important to power off before starting the install?
Do the original functions still work , can you still swipe the little car on screen to change gears. Would need original functionality if these stalks failed.
How do these stalks compare with original Tesla stalks? Do they have all the same functions and moves as your previous Tesla stalks?

The stalkless design makes no sense for me, it is ergonomically unsafe for me.

You made this install look easy! But I would still have it installed and am trying to get any info on this mode from Tesla in Seattle.....

Questions:
Do the original functions still work , can you still swipe the little car on screen to change gears. Would need original functionality if these stalks failed.
How do these stalks compare with original Tesla stalks? Do they have all the same functions and moves as your previous Tesla stalks?

You made this install look easy! But I would still have it installed and am trying to get any info on this mode from Tesla in Seattle.....
Thanks for the kudos! I did not power down the car. In another thread, folks there were adamant about powering down the car due to the chance of the airbag deploying. I didn't even think about it until reading their posts. My install went smoothly.

Yes, all of the functions on the yoke and screen still work. Since I have been using the yoke and screen for 2 years now I am about 50/50 with which one I use but the nice thing with the stalks is that you still have the option.

These are 3/Y stalks and we have never owned a 3 or Y. Roadster, 2 Model S, and now the MXP. The only thing that doesn't work (because Tesla doesn't support it in the S/X) is activating AP/TACC by moving the drive selector down again while driving. My wife's MS has always had a dedicated AP/TACC stalk so there's no change for me there.

Also, the only kind of funky thing is that they programmed the left stalk so when you pull back it honks the horn and when you push forward it flashes the high beams. A few people have asked them to reverse those to be more like other cars.

I doubt Tesla will install this for you. Someone in the other thread posted that they had a local car audio company do the install for them and it worked well.

Questions:

The fact is, 99+% of the time there should be no problem. But, it only takes a few minutes to fully depower the car, whereas it would be quite a time and financial setback to have the airbag go off in your face.

Everyone needs to make their own decision here. The Tesla Service Manual calls for disabling the low voltage power on the car before working on the airbags.

The fact is, 99+% of the time there should be no problem. But, it only takes a few minutes to fully depower the car, whereas it would be quite a time and financial setback to have the airbag go off in your face.

Everyone needs to make their own decision here. The Tesla Service Manual calls for disabling the low voltage power on the car before working on the airbags.
I had mobile service replace my peeling yoke and he did not power down the car. I don't think people need to be lectured, let them do what they want. Theres risk with everything in life.

I bought a round wheel and my stalks arrive this week. I cant wait to get back to a normal setup.

Hopefully this company will update the left stalk and remove the horn or switch it to a push forward. It was a stupid move. Then sell just the left side, unless it can somehow be reprogrammed?

Reactions: jlv1
Great write up! I think you left out the part about removing the yoke though.
Yes, I wish they would program this so pulling back flashed the lights like every other car on the planet, and an option for us to reprogram it ourselves. For now, they should at least do this for all future shipments

Reactions: strider