Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesmanian Roof sunshade WARNING [Update: No proof Tesmanian product is to blame]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed the Tesmanian roof sunshade for the model Y. The car is five days old and has 80 miles on it after finishing I noticed my headliner and visor had ink or die marks from where It had rubbed the edge of the sunshade. While installing my hands were clean. I called the company they told me to send photos. I sent the photos. I called back and the call goes to voice mail where the mailbox is full. I am sickened This is not how you treat customers. Please be careful with this company.
62EA3378-D5F0-4B5F-A8A7-41E2A8566B8D.jpeg
1E029E54-25BD-4FB9-B4E2-D09A71C90653.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
That sucks! I had some blacks marks on my headliner from Delivery Tesla Service emailed me and said to "use either Mr. Clean magic eraser with a little bit of water or an all-purpose spray with a soft rag or towel." I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it worked.

Hi Steve, sorry to see there's black marks (stains) on your new Model Y and of cuz we understand your frustration. First of all, we have been doing sunshades for many different vehicles (Not only for Tesla) from the last 15 years and never have "color-off" issue.

Base on the pictures you sent us through the email (will attach photos only) :

1. In the close up photos, it is obvious that the stains contain a shade of dark red color scheme.
2. The stain areas on your Model Y are far away from the sunshade installed area. IF our sunshades really have the "color-off" issue, you head liner area will be full of those kind of stains right now.

I personally required all our staffs to reply all Tesmainan related emails with 24hrs, even on the weekend.

And here is the email we replied to your request about 10 hrs ago:

"Hello Steve,

Thank you for your email and the photos. We are not sure how these 2 stains created as it is away from the installed area. IF..let say if the dye is coming off from the shade , it would affect all the surrounding edge area.
We sold thousands of this sun shade and we always stand behind our products if there's any defect or any issue. But for these stains on your visor and side headliner, we can't determine the cause of it and we do not see how it can be coming off from the sunshade Unless there were chemical used that can dissolve the dye.

If there was a color bleed, It would got on hands before anything else. But you mentioned your hands were quite clean.

We can't suggest what product to use for cleaning these stains as we can not determine the kind of stain. However, we suggest to consult a car wash / detail company about this.

We hope this clarify the issue. Thank you!"

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 173
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 180
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Well after careful consideration I can not say with 100% certainty that the sunshade caused the staining. It might have but there is no wet ink on the sunshade now that I can find. The ink could of dried after it was installed and sat there for 36 hours. I’m at a loss as to where the staining came from. Regardless of the stains I will not be keeping this since in the back seats a person of 6 feet can not sit in the outboard spots because the sunshade is laying on their head and it’s worse in the middle seat. It droops done 4 or 5 inches off the glass. If someone comes up with a thin cross member to keep it near the roof that would be great.

• Informative
Reactions: captanzuelo
Well after careful consideration I can not say with 100% certainty that the sunshade caused the staining. It might have but there is no wet ink on the sunshade now that I can find. The ink could of dried after it was installed and sat there for 36 hours. I’m at a loss as to where the staining came from. Regardless of the stains I will not be keeping this since in the back seats a person of 6 feet can not sit in the outboard spots because the sunshade is laying on their head and it’s worse in the middle seat. It droops done 4 or 5 inches off the glass. If someone comes up with a thin cross member to keep it near the roof that would be great.
I think there is a Version 2 coming out.

Those stains do look a bit red, like transmission fluid. Have you tried a magic eraser yet? I read elsewhere that someone had luck removing some staining from a TMY headliner with a magic eraser. Wet the eraser enough to soak and wring out, then gently scrub. I hope they come out!

I wrote the following review for this Tesmanian sunshade for my new Tesla Y:

Just like Tesla, you don't care about your customer
Pathetically, you can't include a one-piece sheet of paper with directions. While this will get the job done for awhile, it's not a quality product in that it's cobbled together at best, will be difficult to remove and install, and your adhesive-magnet gizmos are doomed to fail in short order. Go back to the drawing board. Stitch these two pieces of fabric together and sew in three or more plastic ribs side to side that not only keep this from drooping (yes, it still droops due to the curvature of the roof glass) but make it a snap to remove and install.

The review generated a confirmation email from Judge.me to confirm I wrote it. However, their website will not allow me to confirm that I wrote it, and thus they have not published the review.

In perusing the Tesmanian website for this product, curiously ALL OF THE REVIEWS are 5 star except for a very few 4 star--believe me this is not that great a product. It is a glorified window shade with a coarse woven cover, a hand full of plastic clips (one of which was broken) and some cheezie magnets that adhere to the glass and allow a one inch thin steel disc to magnetically attach through both layers of fabric in a poor attempt to minimize the sagging due to the curvature of the roof glass.

I will give Judge.me, the supposed independent reviewing agency another week to get back to me. If they don't I guess you can figure this out for yourself.

Bill E