Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive Heaven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of you already know some of these things,have driven the S, own one etc.....I am giving these observations as a first timer behind the wheel, and a Model 3 reservation holder.
We drove 4 hours in a 2016 Lexus ES350 to get to the test drive. I have closer Tesla showrooms but that's another story :) I mention the car we arrived in just to give an idea of where i'm coming from. It's a nice car with a real smooth ride and my wife's every day car. But damn, the S was even smoother! First impressions after longing for an S and reading this forum etc.... Even better than anticipated. WOW! Comfortable upscale leather interior and that 17" screen is clear as my HDTV. The full glass roof on a sunny 84 degree day blocked out most of the glare and heat. I was concerned about that but it does not seem to be an issue. Sitting in the drivers seat is a bit confusing and foreign at first with the 17" screen, no engine to star or gear selector and quiet as a mouse. David, the Tesla rep. in passenger seat and my wife and 14 yr old daughter in the back. I started driving and notice the torque and regen. braking right away. I find the regen. braking very cool. :)
Ludicrous: Holy SH&^%$#!. My head actually felt dizzy like from a roller-coaster from the acceleration as did the wife and daughter who said "that was awesome.do it again". So, I did:) Something to mention here is despite the acceleration I always felt in full control of the vehicle. Not a rattle, pull or even fear. This car holds the road like no other I have ever driven. And I used to own a Corvette :). We went into a large empty parking lot and I put the car thru some paces with the blessing of David, the Tesla rep. Hard turns,hard stops, fast figure 8 etc... and could not get the car to lean very much at all. Wow again!
The AP feels really weird and takes some faith but after reading about it before hand, I had no trouble letting the car take over. The Lexus has it's own version of AP but nothing like this! My wife who knows or cares little about cars said not only was she impressed but it was much better than she imagined. ( That's one hurdle jumped)
All questions answered and no pressure to buy at all. The car sells itself. All in all a fun test drive.
So, am I buying one? Hell yes! More than I ever planned on spending but this is a once in a life time vehicle.
This car had the HEPA filter so a small frunk. Won't be getting that anyway.
Ludicrous? Love it, but won't pay the 10k or whatever it is for that.
I will not be cancelling my M3 reservation just yet though. (sorry M3 holders) :) My wife's lease may be near completion by the time my number comes up.
I was advised by many on this forum NOT to take a test drive if I was even thinking about a purchase. Now I know why. I must have this car.
Sorry if I am repeating many observations about the S but I am very excited to get to building my own on Tesla's design studio. :)

Great review. My wife and I really enjoy cars having owned a Lexus and 3 Porsches among others but the Tesla is much more enjoyable.

The Tesla is special. It's a feeling that is hard to explain but a test drive can really open your eyes. Enjoy the design studio. :).

no pressure to buy at all. The car sells itself.
I'm pretty sure Tesla doesn't call them "salesmen" (or "salespeople"). A much more accurate term would be
"addiction facilitator".

So which model are you looking at? The 90D is great (no bias here, nuh-uh) but I have to admit right now the new 60 seems like
the best bang for the buck, unless you really, truly need maximum range.

Reactions: Chopr147
I'm pretty sure Tesla doesn't call them "salesmen" (or "salespeople"). A much more accurate term would be
"addiction facilitator".

So which model are you looking at? The 90D is great (no bias here, nuh-uh) but I have to admit right now the new 60 seems like
the best bang for the buck, unless you really, truly need maximum range.
That is certainly a more apt term. My addiction is raging right now and the only potion is an ordered S!. And yes i'm already seeing my wife in the S with me in the M3. We are away right now but next week I plan on heading to Tesla store to get a closer look at some things before ordering. I seem to have my wife's blessing.:)

Well I just spent $1200 on repairs for my 2008 Yukon. 8 months ago I spent $1600. It's time to move on, get my ass in gear and order the S!. One more day to check out seats at the Tesla store. I want to see how the standard seats look and feel. $2500 is a bit much for the leather upgrade so I need to take a closer look

Yes and I have a bad back that needs too much attention :( Uncomfortable seating is not an option. I'm trying to save money somewhere but it's not working. One thing is the wheels. I may get my own after-market wheels so i'll take whatever comes with it standard.