Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drives of Other Cars for Model S Comparisons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, back to the list of ICE vehicles that are serious competition to the Model S. I would add:
  • Jaguar XJ Supercharged (5.0 Liter V8 Supercharged 470 hp)
  • Cadillac CTS-V Sedan ("World’s fastest production sedan: 0*–60 mph in 3.9 sec")
  • Lexus LS Hybrid (5.0-Liter Hybrid V8 438 hp)

Those cars, along with the first three mentioned in the thread opener, all all excellent choices to compare MSP to.

As was discussed in the M5 vs MSP thread, the MSP can't compete with any of those in top speed, thanks to being electronically limited to 130mph. With a single gear it's difficult to go faster without damaging the motor. But MSP is quite competitive with any of those vehicles in real world driving (or racing) at speeds of less than 120mph, while dramatically beating all of them in cost to operate. It also strikes a real blow against the need for oil imports and all of the economic and strategic compromises that the country has to make as a result.

I'd strongly recommend test driving all of those vehicles and thinking about how Model S would fit into your lifestyle. When reading about kinetic measurements like 0-60 times (which are very misleading compared to rolling acceleration measurements) keep in mind how composed and quiet MSP is at getting those numbers when compared to the ICE competition. Keep in mind how incredibly energy efficient you are in the MSP, even when you aren't playing nice nice with the accelerator. Even folks I know who are loaded like the idea of saving thousands of dollars per year in energy costs while getting equivalent or better performance.

Really, as far as I can make out your main compromise with MSP vs those other vehicles is that you get better technology and lower operational costs while sacrificing a bit of long range road trip performance and interior styling (I personally like the minimalist MSP interior, with the glaring exception of the cupholders). And even in terms of road-tripping, once the SuperCharger stations are rolled out you are quite capable of taking road trips of any length while accepting a modest increase in time to "refill the tank." For me the other 99% of the time where you don't have to stop at a gas station at all heavily outweighs that.

I'm presumably atypical since I'm not really in the market for a luxury car now or maybe ever. While I like cars, I wouldn't spend the money required for any of the Model S competitors. I like my RX8 and would just stick with it, but if it died/totaled and I had to buy I'd probably be in roughly that same $30k market.

The Model S purchase is sort of a fundamental shift in what I'm looking for in a car. No gas, ultra quiet, low maintenance (as in things to fix, if not cost), but sexy and quick. And simple I guess. By that, I mean in my test drive I sat in pushed a button and was off in silence. No turning a key, clutch, put into first, rev, let out the clutch, hear an engine roar, etc. All that sound and extraneous motion and engine fury, where the Model S dispensed with all that fanfare in favor of focusing on actually moving the car. A gas car seems sort of rube goldberg-ian now.

Reading that, I'm not sure it really conveys what I mean. It's hard to put into words.

And with a transmission it's difficult to do the stated maximum acceleration every stoplight with out damaging the engines and gearbox.

Totally true. Published 0-60 times are mostly a fantasy and highly misleading anyways. It takes a great deal of skill to extract maximum performance in an ICE vehicle. My deceased grandmother could hit the published marks on a Model S, because it is so smooth and drama free. Mash pedal, go fast.

In my mind, if the Model S didn't exist I'd be getting an A7. My A5 was fully loaded by 2009 standards (including keyless entry, which I'd struggle to live without (relatively speaking!)). I don't think the Audi build quality is quite as good as some people think, I have a few annoying rattles, and it's only done 25k. But, I will miss, a lot, the 'Audi experience'. I'm not impressed with my local sales team, but the service guys are great, I get a free car wash, coke/coffee and donut every weekend, and when the car goes in for a service, they have the good sense to give me a decent car, rather than a crappy Kia or something. When will all dealers work out that maybe, just maybe, their loaner pool should be something the customer might want to buy?

Anyway, the A7 wins over the Model S in the looks department (I think), and has a great selection of gadgets, but still loses overall :)

Also, I'm interested in buying American... Something that I'm uncertain of the popularity on this forum.

I work in manufacturing, and am very interested in buying 'american'. Saying that I own a VW that was made in Germany. But I won't buy an american car just to buy american. It has to fit all my requirements.

I'm presumably atypical since I'm not really in the market for a luxury car now or maybe ever. While I like cars, I wouldn't spend the money required for any of the Model S competitors. I like my RX8 and would just stick with it, but if it died/totaled and I had to buy I'd probably be in roughly that same $30k market.

The Model S purchase is sort of a fundamental shift in what I'm looking for in a car. No gas, ultra quiet, low maintenance (as in things to fix, if not cost), but sexy and quick. And simple I guess. By that, I mean in my test drive I sat in pushed a button and was off in silence. No turning a key, clutch, put into first, rev, let out the clutch, hear an engine roar, etc. All that sound and extraneous motion and engine fury, where the Model S dispensed with all that fanfare in favor of focusing on actually moving the car. A gas car seems sort of rube goldberg-ian now.

Reading that, I'm not sure it really conveys what I mean. It's hard to put into words.

This is basically the boat that I am in. I wouldn't be looking at cars that cost over $35,000 at all, and most likely in the $25k-$30k range. But the benefits and simplicity of a car that is always 'on' and is silent, and doesn't spew exhaust is worth so much to me.

The OP asked what he should drive to get the feel of what a premium sedan can do -- doesn't necessarily mean that's what he'd buy if the Model S weren't around. I agree with the OP that it's worth trying to sort out what, of the Model S drive, is unique to the car rather than generic to premium sedans.