Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test driving Jaguar iPace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning my wife and I are attending the Jaguar Electrifies experience at Santa Monica airport. Among other Jaguars, we will be driving the new Jaguar iPace. I'm very interested to compare how the Jaguar drives compared to my Model 3.

Keith

Reactions: BerTX
I did the SF experience (and held the record for fastest time outside of the pro drivers ;) ). I liked it a lot, can't really compare a sedan to an SUV though, but love my P3D way more... Just more responsive, obviously faster, nimbler, and I really dig the minimalism of the 3. Plus there is more space in the rear seat area than the iPace. Then when you think about the efficiency being about 30% less in the iPace, it's not really a contest (even though we're comparing apples to oranges).

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
I went there and drove the i-pace on the street and on a small closed course. Great 1st EV for Jaguar but falls short due to lack of superchargers.

• Car is bigger on the inside. More space than Model 3 and S
  • Air suspensions is better than Teslas
    • Felt like coils and no noise like a Model S
  • I like buttons and they are everywhere
    • 1st time in the car and I can change radio and AC without taking my eyes off the road.
    • I still have issues with the radio controls and A/C with my Model 3 after 15k miles in it.
  • It had tow hitch.
  • Door unlock 100% of the time like a Model X and Model S
    • Was very embarrassed when I was leaving the event that my Model 3 won't unlock. My passenger kept trying to open the door and everyone was watching. I had to pull out my phone and unlock the car with the app.

What I didn't like:

• No Superchargers so can't take long trips to SF or Vegas.
  • Chassis flexes.
  • Suspension buttons out on speed bumps at 25mph.
    • Model 3 had no issue going over the same bump at 25mph. Other SUVs were going over it much faster.
  • HUD was distracting -can turn Off
  • Didn't look like an EV. I see them driving around and had no idea until I saw the stickers on the side that says i-pace. Front grill had fake hexagons that look like air flow for the radiator.
  • Didn't have a large touch screen.
  • Nav was so tiny and UI already look outdated.

I test drove an I-Pace at the Las Vegas Jaguar Land Rover dealership. I asked the salesman if the car was an SUV or a crossover since it didn’t look large enough to be an SUV. He readily admitted describing it as a crossover would be more accurate. I examined one in the showroom then test drove another. With only thirty miles of range left on the battery, they are having issues with the EVSE in the parking lot, the drive did not cover much of the city.

It came well equipped with options, and for $89,000 it should. The seats were comfortable, front and back. While not as nimble as my Model 3, it drove smooth without a jittery feel and generally behaved like a luxurious car. The center console controls were numerous as were the controls on the steering wheel. I’d become accustomed to the austere look and feel of the Model 3 but there is something to be said for having to select only one button to change a setting instead of selecting different menus for various functions.

I must agree that the most serious drawback is a lack of public DC chargers for this vehicle. I make numerous trips to Flagstaff AZ from Vegas so this vehicle would not be an option for me. To make such a trip I’d have to utilize level 2 EVSEs and DC chargers at motels that require patronage. For my Tesla I simply charged at the Kingman AZ supercharger for fifteen minutes then continued to Flagstaff where there is another supercharger. I could drive to LAX and Reno and use EVGo DC chargers but even then the charge rate is only half the pace as a Tesla supercharger. Tesla, for now, is the only option for quick and reliable long distance EV travel.

My observations after driving the car mirror what is posted above. Nice car overall, but didn't feel as fast as my LR RWD Model 3. Brake pedal felt mushy, but that might be because the cars we were driving were prototypes. I loved the HUD, wish our cars had that option. The HVAC/Nav interface was nice, but had a real annoying lag between button push and anything happening, something I've heard is typical with Jaguar. Another thing I noticed was the steering wheel seemed larger in diameter than a lot of cars. Might be because I've gotten used to the smaller wheel on my Model 3? And, man, the buttons!! They were everywhere! There must have been 20 buttons on the steering wheel alone. And, while I'm on the steering wheel, no power adjust, it adjusted like the one on my Ford Focus.

The killing factor for me was when I got home and decided to price one out. First thing I did was price out the one I drove. It came in at an eye-watering $93,000!!!! The cheapest version is well north of $65,000. And nicely equipped it's pushing $80,000. Yeah, it's a Jaguar, but it certainly didn't give me that much more than my $51,000 Model 3 to justify the higher price. It's pretty evident they aren't targeting the Model 3 owner, they are trying to present a lower priced alternative to the Model X.

A previous poster stated that he felt the car was small. It is, on the outside. Inside, it had gobs of room. Rear seat was comfortable, even when I had the seat adjusted for myself (I'm 5'11"). The cargo area is huge. The frunk was a joke, maybe room for a duffle bag, but not much more.

Jaguar also gave us a nice lunch (tacos, salads, brisket, drinks), and we were given a nice Bluetooth speaker for coming out. Plus got to hang out around Santa Monica airport for a while. Been years since I'd been down there, and was pretty impressed. Museum of Flight was great, the parks are nice, and the observation deck was kind of cool.

Keith

PS - also got to drive a F-Type. Wow!! Wouldn't buy one new, since depreciation is awful on those things, but found on the Internet a nice 3.8L supercharged version with manual transmission, 2015 with <$30,000 miles, for under $45,000. That would make for a nice weekend cruiser. Tempted....... :)

@Campfamily

Thanks for the review! I don’t like the way the I-Pace looks, I can’t get over that. I’m one of those that would never buy a car that didn’t have the looks I want. That being said, competition in business is always good for the consumer. I wish Jaguar success, and I admire the fact that they choose to go electric and got a legit product to market quicker than most (other than Tesla and Chevrolet, but I dislike the design of the Bolt even more than the I-Pace). Time will tell who has the best strategy going forward. But I believe it’s going to be years before anyone other than Tesla will have the infrastructure built out to reasonably travel long distances w these EVs.