Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Driving the Tesla S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do they come with you or let you drive it alone? anyone gotten one for longer than the lets say 20 mins? how long you get? anyone gotten an overnight? I have seen some dealers do that, with lower end cars though.

Test driving is great...low pressure.

If you want to try a Tesla for longer like a day or two or to take on a quick road trip, don't forget Turo.com (formerly RelayRides) There are a decent number of Tesla's for rent on the site but of course a lot of those are in CA.

I test drove the Tesla a couple of times before buying it. My last test drive was with my son and our friend from Scotland. They drove for 1 1/2 hours and asked 1M questions. They were so impressed with the car they wouldn't let me leave the store before putting down my deposit. I'm so glad they supported me and helped me with all the options. My son and I pick up or Model S 90D on 11-25-15. Our Scottish friend is now looking to buy one. I have to say, this was the best car buying experience I have ever had. No pressure at all and the guy at the store gave me his business cell number and said "call anytime you have a question or need anything" WHAT!?!? Now that's good service! P.S. I have called him a couple of times and he answered all my questions and thanked me for calling. WHAT?!?! I'm so happy with Tesla!

I did exactly one test drive with my wife and son, in the configuration of car that I was interested in (85D, 19", solid roof), and what we ended up ordering. Our Owner Advisor (from the Walnut Creek, CA store) had both of us drive the car, on the freeway and on surface streets.

As a number of other people have said, there was absolutely no pressure at all from our Owner Advisor...he seemed genuinely interested in making sure that we learned as much as we needed / wanted to know. I'd already done a bunch of research (including a lot of time on TMC) so it was pretty clear to me what was right for us. After the end of the test drive, my wife and I made one small tweak to our intended configuration and put our deposit down. (We, alas, had to veto my son's proposal to go for a P85D.)

OK Navyguy, now having gotten a bunch of us to tell you our stories...we're all looking forward to hearing how your test drive went!

WHen you did the overnight how did that go? they do the credit check then or just say here you go see you tomorrow etc.

They just made a copy of my driver's license and I signed a waiver of some sort. No credit check or anything serious like that. It was basically "here you go, have fun and see you tomorrow!"

Good luck and definitely keep us posted!

I definetly agree with comments here.
Don't test drive it. It's a trap!
After the test drive, you're gonna hate your car, and start the calculate what it's take to get a Tesla. I am telling that as a BMW 6.30 driver.

If you're thinking about getting a new car, then you should definitely try Tesla.

I definetly agree with comments here.
Don't test drive it. It's a trap!
After the test drive, you're gonna hate your car, and start the calculate what it's take to get a Tesla. I am telling that as a BMW 6.30 driver.

Reminds me of a Tesla review I read recently. Very positive review that included a line that went something like "Don't test drive it if you can't afford it. It'll ruin your life." :)