Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test ride today....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, took my first test drive in the MYLR today. I arranged it so that the only extra function was regenerative braking. I just wanted to get the feel of the car. And, well the feel was pretty good; I had read about harsh ride, but at least this drive didn't really show that. I will take it again and try different roads. I did take a Mach-e and ID4 on test drives as well and it is more 'spirited' than either, especially the ID4. The ride is quiet - not quite as quiet as the Mach-e and ID4, but not disagreeable. I didn't mind the speedo off to the right a bit, but I honestly didn't look at the display much as I wanted to focus on the drive quality and characteristics.

All in all, impressive. The next time perhaps try some of those features......

The Tesla Model Y does not have adjustable/selective regenerative braking. The Model Y did have a Low Regen setting at one time but Tesla removed this from later production vehicles.

Never believe anything that the Tesla Sales Advisors tell you. If you have a question about the Tesla vehicle's features do your own research or post a question on the TMC forums.

Reactions: JonB65
The Tesla Model Y does not have adjustable/selective regenerative braking. The Model Y did have a Low Regen setting at one time but Tesla removed this from later production vehicles.

Never believe anything that the Tesla Sales Advisors tell you. If you have a question about the Tesla vehicle's features do your own research or post a question on the TMC forums.

You cannot turn off the regenerative braking? Really? I seem to recall her showing me three buttons on the screen that I though adjusted it in some way....

Well, took my first test drive in the MYLR today. I arranged it so that the only extra function was regenerative braking. I just wanted to get the feel of the car. And, well the feel was pretty good; I had read about harsh ride, but at least this drive didn't really show that. I will take it again and try different roads. I did take a Mach-e and ID4 on test drives as well and it is more 'spirited' than either, especially the ID4. The ride is quiet - not quite as quiet as the Mach-e and ID4, but not disagreeable. I didn't mind the speedo off to the right a bit, but I honestly didn't look at the display much as I wanted to focus on the drive quality and characteristics.

All in all, impressive. The next time perhaps try some of those features......
The comparable ID.4 model to compare would've been the AWD version which I don't think most VW dealers have in inventory yet. I've also compared all 3 and keep coming back to the Y as the most practical choice. Range is the biggest differentiator for me. At least with my M3 the way that I drive (and I don't drive like a grandma) I've been averaging more than the EPA rating, so I'm confident the EPA rating will stay true for the Y.

You cannot turn off the regenerative braking? Really? I seem to recall her showing me three buttons on the screen that I though adjusted it in some way....
You can set the Stopping Mode to Hold (one pedal driving), Creep (simulates an ICE vehicle automatic transmission when you take your foot off of the brake pedal and the vehicle begins to move) and Roll (like a manual transmission vehicle when not in gear, it continues to roll.) Hold, Creep and Roll are only active at very low speed.

You can control the amount of regenerative braking by how much you lift your foot off of the accelerator pedal. What you can't do (anymore) is set regenerative braking to Low (it is now always at the Standard level that Tesla specifies based on speed and other factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: thinktwice
If ride comfort and range are priorities, the 19" Gemini wheels are the better choice. When I did the test drive, the car had the 20" and the ride was not as comfortable as the 19". I personally think that the Model Y is by far the best choice for any mid size Performance SUV, EV or ICE. The performance and infotainment system make the car stand out among competitors. Best car I have owned so far and fantastic charging network.. Drove my Model Y for 15k miles in just over 5 month..

Reactions: GadgetGary