Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas License Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. For those who are in Texas and received delivery in December, did you get your official plates and registration yet? I had to put the second paper plate with an expiration date ending in February on (found in glovebox) because the first paper plate expired. I’m curious if it’s just a long wait time or if I did something wrong. I will call the dmv (oh joy) but I wanted to check here also. Thanks!

I picked my M3 up in Austin on 12/15. Called delivery center yesterday to find out about the status of the plates. Gentleman was able to see that the paperwork was just forwarded to the county where I live. He told me about the February temp plate in the glove box. Said if I still haven’t received the plates by Feb 8th to call back and let them know and they would issue another temp tag if necessary.
Cheers.

Same. Picked car up at the beginning of December (received and sent back the signed papers a few days later) and have temp tag for two months (good until beginning of February). I asked my initial sales advisor and he just replied I should ask for another temp tag if this expires. He replied very quickly, I'm 100% sure he didn't bother to check if they've actually submitted my paperwork.

As long as I can get new temp tags, I'm fine but it does make me feel a bit uneasy as I can't do anything until I get my registration completed (ie. sell it in case of emergency or who knows what).

I ordered a M3 SR+ on 8 Jan. I do not have a VIN and my expected delivery is 4-7 weeks. On 13 Jan, I got a text from Tesla rep asking for a copy of my plates and former registration on Monday (I have DV plates and already have my plates from my old vehicle). However, today, I got another text that apologized for having me send in the previous photos and that all Texas plates are now done by the buyer after delivery and Tesla won't be filing for us.

Picked up mine on 11-Nov, and had plates my Mid December. I guess I got lucky.

I did follow up with the title company (Title girl in Dallas) and they were pretty accommodating on letting me know status as the process was not really well explained to me when I picked up the car.

Good luck!

I plan to get custom plates here in the dfw area, does that make the wait longer? the wait really isn't much of a big deal since its not like I can get ticketed while I await them to send them, I am merely asking to better educate myself on what could possibly happen

Good idea with asking for an update from The Title Girl. Emailed yesterday. No reply so far but still, another lead :)

Well, Fedex just showed up with my new tags and registration. All good. Took about one month which is not bad considering it was holiday season.

Do you guys put your front plate on too? I know in TX we should, but these cars look so much better with the nose "naked"

Well, Fedex just showed up with my new tags and registration. All good. Took about one month which is not bad considering it was holiday season.

Do you guys put your front plate on too? I know in TX we should, but these cars look so much better with the nose "naked"

i have yet to see a model 3 drive by with a plate in front, so i am not planning to put it on the front for mine

Reactions: cucubits

Our MR did sport a front plate but I fully intend on keeping the P3D without (worst case I get a tow hook LP bracket)

Reactions: cucubits