Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Model Ys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fort Worth: Picked up my red/white, 19"s, 88xxx, this morning. 4 miles on the odometer.

Perfect panel fitment, gaps. Paint? I'll need a few days to look at it from various angles, different light, but so far, it looks good. I've already driven it 140 miles, and enjoyed every minute of it. 280-290 wh/mi, C/H combined. Never even explored the acceleration, will weight till after the first oil change, let the piston rings seat a bit, get the compression up.

Steering? Yikes! It sure is sensitive, much more than I remember any of my 6-7 test drives of M3s and MYs. IT tracks perfectly straight, but the slightest touch on the steering wheel makes it change direction. It centers itself after any deviation, but is just...nervous. I'll have the alignment checked after the suspension settles a bit.

No regen adjustability, as others have noted. I'm surprised it is as aggressive as it is. 140 miles, stop and go, stop lights, and I hardly used the brakes. Time it right, and one-pedal works just fine (using "hold" instead of creep). (As I write this, I'm remembering that the latest SW update changes the regen. I noticed my car doesn't have the latest update. Hmm, wonder what it will feel like?)

I'm VERY relieved the fit and finish is so good. Makes me even sorrier for those of you that have had issues.

I picked up my MYP in NW Austin today and went well. Not much to report except I can't get the driver side mirror to adjust outward as much as I would like (and to actually be useful in showing your blind spot). It is as if the range of adjustment is either having it reflect straight back, or looking in to the car. Quite strange. passenger side is fine.

EDIT: just found mirror thread: 2021 Model Y Sideview Mirrors Limited Adjustability

Last edited:
this is my experience:
  • ordered Friday (Dec 18) and immediately got a VIN
  • received an MVPA Saturday morning (Dec19)
  • paid last night using their Plaid thing
  • provided them with Proof of Insurance today after adding a new VIN to my existing policy
  • pick up schedule on Dec24

I've heard many users on this forum pay by Plaid but I'm not sure what service that is. Is plaid payment done through another website or app? Is this website the Plaid payment platform that is being referenced? Is payment relatively easy? I am going to hold off on payment until I have inspected the car and accepted delivery.

I've heard many users on this forum pay by Plaid but I'm not sure what service that is. Is plaid payment done through another website or app? Is this website the Plaid payment platform that is being referenced? Is payment relatively easy? I am going to hold off on payment until I have inspected the car and accepted delivery.
Plaid is via Tesla website. You may not get pickup date until car is paid for in full. Check with your service advisor.

• Helpful
Reactions: AprilMay
Plaid is via Tesla website. You may not get pickup date until car is paid for in full. Check with your service advisor.
I don't see the Plaid option on Tesla's website but maybe that's something that appears when I get a delivery date. I think payment works differently by state. For CA, payment is not needed for delivery date. As far as I am aware of, payment can be done at pick-up up right before accepting delivery. I'll try checking with my SA but she is not too reliable.

For Texas, are we expected to get our brand new Tesla an official TX inspection once we take delivery? Do we need this for the 1-year registration? I took delivery 12/29, and I was expecting to have Tesla handle the registration for me, but I am actually not sure...

For Texas, are we expected to get our brand new Tesla an official TX inspection once we take delivery? Do we need this for the 1-year registration? I took delivery 12/29, and I was expecting to have Tesla handle the registration for me, but I am actually not sure...

Tesla's business model is to sell directly to consumers, and not go through a third party franchise dealer. That is illegal in Texas - all cars must be sold through a dealer. That's why you can go to a gallery and test drive a car, ask all the questions you wish, yet still must go home and sit down at your computer to order it. Its also why you have to pay your own sales tax and do your own registration. These are things dealers usually do.

Once you pick it up, about 2-3 weeks afterwards, you will get a packet from Tesla with all the paperwork you need, including the inspection form - not the sticker, because that goes through your county - but rather the form that says your car was inspected. You take all that - along with your check book - to your county tax office where you register your car. In some counties, you will need an appointment because of the pandemic. Then it is a matter of paying the sales tax and paying for the registration and getting your plates and inspection sticker. In my case, it took about 30-45 minutes, and that's because I was getting specialty plates.

All in all - pretty easy - but very different from the way most of us are used to buying a car.

Reactions: Moded3
OK, thanks for the info. As long as Tesla provides the forms, etc, then that all seems fine. I wish the SAs at Tesla would have explained or even mentioned this. FWIW, this sounds a lot like buying a used car from a private party (at least the registration/tax part). I guess if I do not get the packet from Tesla in the next week or so, I will contact them.

OK, thanks for the info. As long as Tesla provides the forms, etc, then that all seems fine. I wish the SAs at Tesla would have explained or even mentioned this. FWIW, this sounds a lot like buying a used car from a private party (at least the registration/tax part). I guess if I do not get the packet from Tesla in the next week or so, I will contact them.

Your delivery was 12/29. Mine was 12/26.

Tesla has enough foresight to provide buyers with 2 consecutive Temp Tags, so I'm good until 2/27/21. I won't bother to contact them until the first week of February, if I haven't received the "packet."

Keep in mind they sold a TON of cars in December, and the SC staff (I'm more and more convinced are UNDER staffed, and probably under trained!) probably never got a day off over the "holidays."