Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Model Ys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my fedex pack with the registration papers for my model Y this morning. I set the appointment with the local tax office for first week of January.

I've been debating whether I want custom background plate for my White Y as I've been thinking of black plates or keep the standard white. I figured if I was going to order personalized plates it would be seamless to do it in one visit. BUT if I end up waiting to see if i like the white and then decide later on that I do want personalized plates.... Will I have to make another appointment to pick those up?

Figured I'd ask as it's my first time dealing with tax collector's/plates

I got my documents last week. The main Airport Ave location was booked until January, so I booked an appointment 12/17 at the Pflugerville location 30 min north of me in South Austin (they still have appointments starting 12/22 if you want to go sooner). I already have specialty plates. I spoke to the office and they said that the title appointment if’s for title only, but that you can usually get same day specialty license appointments there, so just to sign up for one the day I go.

Like Zainthy said, you have to order your specialty plates first before you can have them assigned to the car. But it should be a quick easy same day appointment if you do it after the fact.

In Illinois you buy your plate and own it for around $125 (as of 2015). In Texas I was dismayed to learn that you pay a ridiculous amount every couple years to rent your specialty plate.

As for Tesla in all of this, hoping it’s not an issue that they misspelled my first name in all of the documents.

I got my documents last week. The main Airport Ave location was booked until January, so I booked an appointment 12/17 at the Pflugerville location 30 min north of me in South Austin (they still have appointments starting 12/22 if you want to go sooner). I already have specialty plates. I spoke to the office and they said that the title appointment if’s for title only, but that you can usually get same day specialty license appointments there, so just to sign up for one the day I go.

Like Zainthy said, you have to order your specialty plates first before you can have them assigned to the car. But it should be a quick easy same day appointment if you do it after the fact.

In Illinois you buy your plate and own it for around $125 (as of 2015). In Texas I was dismayed to learn that you pay a ridiculous amount every couple years to rent your specialty plate.

As for Tesla in all of this, hoping it’s not an issue that they misspelled my first name in all of the documents.
Cool. I'll go ahead and see how I feel about the normal plates and then.

Way down here in deep south Texas, no appointment is needed. I just walked into the Hidalgo County office, paperwork in hand, and got things done. I was given my inspection sticker, but my military specialty plates will be mailed to me. Minimum hassle.

Picked my puppy yesterday
IMG_0972.JPG

I'm scheduled to pick up mine 12/28 (white on black performance), at I assume the service center in Austin, which is very close to me.

I have to say the process of ordering could use a lot of improvement. I've never really liked the standard dealership experience, but the Tesla experience so far seems to be full of confusion and very impersonal. For all I know I could be communicating with a Nigerian princess who needs the money equivalent to the cost of a Tesla. I am hoping this all comes together in a week. The process of providing insurance has been quite different from every car purchase I have made in TX. I have never had to get my insurance updated to close on the new car. Yet Tesla needs my policy changed 1 week before delivery... Also, the payment process has been quite confusing. They sent me a purchase agreement and asked that I pay the balance, which was zero, but what they really meant was to get my lender to send their part of the payment. Why didn't they just say that? As much as I did not like the old dealership experience, at least they knew what they were doing.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
this is my experience:
  • ordered Friday (Dec 18) and immediately got a VIN
  • received an MVPA Saturday morning (Dec19)
  • paid last night using their Plaid thing
  • provided them with Proof of Insurance today after adding a new VIN to my existing policy
  • pick up schedule on Dec24

I'm scheduled to pick up mine 12/28 (white on black performance), at I assume the service center in Austin, which is very close to me.

I have to say the process of ordering could use a lot of improvement. I've never really liked the standard dealership experience, but the Tesla experience so far seems to be full of confusion and very impersonal. For all I know I could be communicating with a Nigerian princess who needs the money equivalent to the cost of a Tesla. I am hoping this all comes together in a week. The process of providing insurance has been quite different from every car purchase I have made in TX. I have never had to get my insurance updated to close on the new car. Yet Tesla needs my policy changed 1 week before delivery... Also, the payment process has been quite confusing. They sent me a purchase agreement and asked that I pay the balance, which was zero, but what they really meant was to get my lender to send their part of the payment. Why didn't they just say that? As much as I did not like the old dealership experience, at least they knew what they were doing.

Yep - I understand - it is different. I've had mine for six weeks now, and on looking back, it actually was quite simple - just very different. In my case, even paying the sales tax, registering and getting my tags were all quite simple. Here in deep south Texas, the county tax office is open (no appointments needed). The only thing that was really different was having to drive to San Antonio to take delivery - and even that is changing with the pending opening of a service center in Brownsville.

Hope yours goes as well as mine.

I guess since I've been reading this forum for 2.5 months, I was prepared for the "confusion and impersonal" atmosphere. Except for the anxiety created by wiring $55k to Tesla, for a car I haven't even SEEN yet, the process was rather simple. Money wires were complete within a couple of hours.

My car is expected to arrive (off the truck) on 12/24, I told the SA I don't want to rush the delivery to me, that I'd gladly wait until after the weekend. I was sorry to hear their mgmt isn't giving them a 3-day weekend, so he might want me to pick it up on Sat. He knows my OCD character, and I'm hoping the QC on the car won't create friction between us.

LOOKING FOR A QUALIFIED ppf INSTALLER IN THE DFW REGION. HELP ME IF YOU CAN.

I decided to trade in my Y and go back to the 3.

I have a few items I am selling that I thought yall might be interested in:

1) Maxpider Floor Mats - Front seats, back seats, trunk, frunk, side compartments in trunk.
$350 (Retail: $409 + tax/shipping)

2) Model Y Black License Plate Frame - Includes screws and black covers
$20 (Retail: $39 + tax/shipping)

As I go through I will see what other items I am forgetting, but let me know if youre interested. I live in the Lower Greenville area of Dallas.

IMG_7552.JPG
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 10.33.00 AM.png

I decided to trade in my Y and go back to the 3.

I have a few items I am selling that I thought yall might be interested in:

1) Maxpider Floor Mats - Front seats, back seats, trunk, frunk, side compartments in trunk.
$350 (Retail: $409 + tax/shipping)

2) Model Y Black License Plate Frame - Includes screws and black covers
$20 (Retail: $39 + tax/shipping)

As I go through I will see what other items I am forgetting, but let me know if youre interested. I live in the Lower Greenville area of Dallas.

View attachment 620449 View attachment 620450

license plate frame has been sold!