Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Screw You too? (Registration)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In summary: Paying for a car I cannot drive and Texas issued my title to someone who doesn't own the car because of Tesla's error.

The Story:

We received a MYLR7 3 February 2022. On approximately 24 February Tesla mailed the registration paperwork, however, the MCO WAS WRONG!

Tesla sent me a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO) for a Model S Plaid, but I did not purchase a model S, I bought a Model Y. (I was unaware at the time, but turns out Tesla also sent my MCO to another person. [Foreshadowing]) As to why we were sent the MCO: Texas... (you'll learn more later).

I contacted Tesla as I did not feel it was ethical to submit paperwork to Texas DMV incorrectly. It took Tesla 30+ days to resolve the matter resulting in me owing Texas a 5% sales tax late fee. Tesla finally mailed me the correct MCO and I immediately submitted the paperwork on the 59th day of "ownership" (April 2nd) to avoid a 10% late fee on the 60th day and paid a rush and processing fee to avoid the additional Texas DMV fee (note Texas has really asinine registration laws).

After 1 month of waiting I received a letter from the state of Texas stating my VIN was already registered and that my application was rejected (April 29th 2022). At the same time I received a Statement of Fact letter from Tesla informing me that they had issued MCO's incorrectly and were trying to resolve the matter. To my utter disbelief they had sent my MCO to another customer, who then submitted that document to the TEXAS DMV with non-matching paperwork and TEXAS issued them the Title for my car.

Wow! Catch you breath it gets better...

I call Tesla and they tell me it's ok to keep driving the car because they provided me with the.... Statement of Fact!

No, it's not ok. The registration expired, I cannot legally drive the car. If we get pulled over will the car be towed? How can I drive a car without a license plate? Needless to say I informed the Tesla rep that was not an intelligent response for a plethora of reasons. Adding complexity, we were relocated to PA by my company so I cannot walk into a Texas Tax assessor/DMV myself to argue with the folks who seem to be in no rush to help.

Tesla spent the next 3 weeks waffling on what to do after I requested a Tesla loaner while the matter was resolved. They told me 2-3 weeks.

End of May I was told they couldn't provide a Tesla loaner and wanted me and the wife to drive a gas loaner. We had no other option but to be forced by Tesla to drive a gas hog (need a 7 seat vehicle) when gas prices hit the all time high over the summer costing us more than $300+ per month while I'm still making payments on a more expensive vehicle.

After many requests for updates were not returned I finally reached someone in California who seems to be responsive, but it's now 5 August (6+ months after I purchased the car) that we cannot use it.

I would like guidance from someone else who experienced this issue as I would like the vehicle replaced (including the tint I had added) or I want to sell the car and be done with it. Any Lawyers who can help?

I have an object sitting in my garage, $5000 lost somewhere in registration land that I hope to get back (the title girl or Texas or Tesla have it) and I am paying for gasoline at all time highs because of the failure from the company I bought a car from to avoid exactly this situation. I would love to sell the car and get another electric vehicle now just so we have one to drive (we don't like driving ICE vehicles anymore), but really we love the Model Y so uncertain what to do.

The person who's MCO I received never had an issue because I'm not unethical, but here I am getting shafted... frustrating.

I've been very patient with Tesla through all of this and never even yelled on the phone, but as we've not reached 6 months I needed to vent. Thank you for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.

Reactions: RSpanner and voxel
I would demand Tesla replace the vehicle with a new one they can properly document or buy your current one back. Also demand reimbursement for all the fees you have incurred. If they balk, file a claim with the arbitrator. It should be fun listening to them try and defend this.
I've never filed a claim with an arbitrator, will research this. Thanks for your thoughts and agreed.

You can lemon law it as you have given them plenty of opportunity to remedy. I don't think the lemon law applies just to mechanical defects. You have a defect in title.

I got a car with no paperwork whatsoever. They told me to drive it.

Reactions: Zalick
Yes, totally FUBAR'd. In Tesla's defense, this is probably something no one has ever dealt with either on their end or at the TX DMV and I'm sure no one has any idea how to deal with it. That said, they were the ones who got the paperwork messed up so it's totally on them to fix the problem. I would send your car back to Tesla and demand a new one with a clean title & registration.

Reactions: Aviateur17
I’m sure there’s a lawyer who would take the case. You’ve given them more than enough time to reasonably sort this out. Plus they should also be paying you for all the excess taxes and fees you need to pay whenever this disaster is sorted out.

Reactions: RSpanner
Yes, totally FUBAR'd. In Tesla's defense, this is probably something no one has ever dealt with either on their end or at the TX DMV and I'm sure no one has any idea how to deal with it. That said, they were the ones who got the paperwork messed up so it's totally on them to fix the problem. I would send your car back to Tesla and demand a new one with a clean title & registration.
No, never beyond repair. But then, how to put ,pressure? on Tesla Company to resolve (big picture,and Bob first ) to change the FU "service" that they provide? Maybe even to service that established major car companies provide. Just a simple question.....

Thanks for all the responses. I found Tesla's Lemon Law phone number over the weekend so I'll try calling that, but so far when I speak with them about it they never get back to me /respond to that topic so perhaps calling the lemon law number directly will get things started.

I never imagined it would be 6+ months without resolution. Is there anyone in California who's worked with a Lemon Law lawyer in state? Because TX doesn't allow the sale in state the transaction (I believe) occurs in California so I may need to go that route.

I appreciate everyone's support, this has caused a lot of stress so hearing I'm not being irrational is helpful.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
As an update, I called Tesla to lemon law the vehicle twice. Both times they said I should hear back in 24-48 business hours. I have not received a response within 48 hours after each call in the past few weeks.

Also, Tesla stopped paying for the loaner vehicle back in July (the rental car company called to ask who is paying for the missing payments). I informed the rental car company it's not my problem and gave them Tesla's phone number. I'm concerned that the rental car company is going to ask for the rental back and I'll be without a car and still my issue won't be resolved.

I feel like this is a soap opera.

Given the lack of action by Tesla to date it seems that is may be the only way they get stuff done unfortunately. I was really hoping it wouldn't be the case and could just get this resolved quickly. I'll admit I'm not that familiar with what you are referring to as I've been traveling so I'll look into what you mentioned.

Wow, what a FUBAR! If Elon Musk wasn't distracted by his extramarital affairs, his Twitter debacle, and his compulsion to hog the limelight, Tesla might resemble a professional company. I'm afraid a lawyer may be your only recourse. Good luck!
FUBAR is not a noun. Neither is it decent English. Unfortunately, many people have to use slang and crudity to express themselves. On top of this, Musk is not the problem, nor are his personal affairs.

Tesla more than resembles a professional company, though. Doing what they've done in the time they've done it is remarkable, but it has caused problems, which, in time, will correct. True, a lawyer might help, or they might not, but either way, a lawyer will be expensive, and you'll have no guarantee of resolution. It looks like part of the problem is the state of Texas.

The Texas DMV has had many issues (look up fake temporary tags) and this would clearly be an example of a failure on their part. Also the process of registering vehicles in TX is much more complicated than other states I've lived in. I have no argument that the TX DMV is certainly part of the problem, but Tesla sending multiple MCO's to the wrong party is the root cause and their failure to support a customer appropriately is probably my biggest frustration.

This is a symptom of Tesla's business model, but I am hopeful they learn from this situation as even with all these issues I prefer Tesla's sales model over buying from dealerships (I think everyone on TMC has a reason for this perspective). I hope Tesla's sales model continues to develop and is ultimately successful as until this issue I found it was significantly more pleasurable than buying from a traditional dealership. My biggest issue is when Tesla causes an issue they shouldn't leave the customer on an island and force the customer to quarterback a solution for their failure over a 6+ month time frame.

In some positive news Tesla of PA finally reached out to me and will be working on providing an actual Tesla loaner. What will be difficult is we need a 3 row vehicle for our family and they are only offering us a model 3. We'll try to make it work, however, when family comes to visit in September we'll need the 7 seats. I'm really hoping this whole issue is resolved before labor day though 😰

FUBAR is not a noun. Neither is it decent English. Unfortunately, many people have to use slang and crudity to express themselves. On top of this, Musk is not the problem, nor are his personal affairs.

Tesla more than resembles a professional company, though. Doing what they've done in the time they've done it is remarkable, but it has caused problems, which, in time, will correct. True, a lawyer might help, or they might not, but either way, a lawyer will be expensive, and you'll have no guarantee of resolution. It looks like part of the problem is the state of Texas.
If you're too uneducated to know what FUBAR means, I suggest you Google it. There are numerous fanboys here on TMC, but I've never seen anyone gush about Tesla more than you.

Tesla sent the title and paperwork for his car to another person who registered it and now he can’t register his car. That’s entirely Teslas fault and the fact this has taken more than a week to sort out let alone 6 months is unacceptable. The only thing more FUBAR’d than his situation is your post. If a slang term offends your morality so much I suggest not going on the internet.