Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in my M3 for MY - Sales process is a JOKE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the way the M3 drives better than the MY. And I like the way the M3 looks, better than the Y. I especially like my original Aero wheels/covers better than the hideous Geminis on the Y. But it's time to move on. I have three teenagers now. I often load up the M3 on trips to our cottage on Cape Cod. Practically speaking, the MY blows the M3 away. And a new bumper-to-bumper warranty never hurt anyones nerves!
I was about to head the way you did and trade my Model 3, but blinked and traded our Honda. Got a better trade which was $5-600 worse than Carvana after the tax difference, so that was worth the less hassle. Picking up on Monday and becoming a two Tesla family :)
One thing on the naff Geminis, I'm planning on switching out to some Rimetrix covers. I have Orbitals on my Model 3 and am looking at their Medusa for the Y. Shop Model Y
I was about to buy a new wall charger before noticing that my 10000 loyalty points will cover the cost of the wall charger - points for the win.

Looks like my delivery scheduled tomorrow is going to hold. I called the number for my service center that I’m picking up from and followed the automated prompts and was connected to an actual live person surprisingly quickly. They were actually able to help me with the trade-in issue. The Operations Advisor at the location I’m picking up from had emailed me yesterday asking for the payoff letter for the loan on my 3 and I emailed them back very quickly with it. They never attached the PDF to my order, so the trade-in team couldn’t provide the final offer. The person I spoke with on the phone was able to get this all resolved within an hour after I spoke with them.

Had to call Tesla back another 2 times to do the FSD transfer agreement (I never saw anything in the app about this) and fix the financing stuff as it showed me owing over negative $8K for the down payment. All remaining issues were fixed very quickly after I spoke with the Tesla reps on the phone. I would have called them earlier, but I just assumed it was impossible to get a hold of an actual person.

TLDR; call your local Tesla location and follow the phone prompts to connect with an actual person to get any immediate issues addressed quickly.
The negative downpayment means their automated MVPA generator hasn't kicked in. It doesn't run in real time.
I had the same issue and by the following morning the updated MVPA with the correct numbers was there waiting for me. No calls needed.

Reactions: PoitNarf
One thing on the naff Geminis, I'm planning on switching out to some Rimetrix covers. I have Orbitals on my Model 3 and am looking at their Medusa for the Y. Shop Model Y
Is there any real data on the Medusa’s efficiency? I feel these claims of efficiency are easily completely made up. And I’m kind of OCD when it comes to range. I do NOT want to lose any range due to the wheel covers!

Is there any real data on the Medusa’s efficiency? I feel these claims of efficiency are easily completely made up. And I’m kind of OCD when it comes to range. I do NOT want to lose any range due to the wheel covers!
They usually list their tests, I certainly found the Orbitals to be good on my Model 3.
I also like the build quality of them, they've stood up to a lot over the years I've had them. No annoying squeaking/creaking etc like the original covers.

After all the fun of working through the ridiculous Tesla in Texas sales process, I've been delayed by my lender deciding to send the check to Tesla via slowest and cheapest UPS, so after all that high speed work with Tesla I get to wait a week extra.
Have you taken delivery yet @dansev ?

After all the fun of working through the ridiculous Tesla in Texas sales process, I've been delayed by my lender deciding to send the check to Tesla via slowest and cheapest UPS, so after all that high speed work with Tesla I get to wait a week extra.
Have you taken delivery yet @dansev ?
Yes, it all went smoothly in the end. I got an incredible rate (5.5% on a 60 month loan) from a local credit union. I have the MY. Loving it and not missing the M3 as much as I thought I would.

• Love
Reactions: Twiglett and vickh
When I bought a Model 3 in 2019, I met a human being at a Tesla store, and I had access to a phone number allowing me to call people. Granted, they were borderline idiots, but at least they could answer most questions. Now, I seem to have the same type of idiots, but the only way I can reach them is via text. And they barely respond. I don't mind the texting method at all, but at least be responsive. This is ridiculous. Anyone have any advice here?

I have questions about the rebates/credits being taken at POS, whether the car will come with mud flaps and the $50 PPF, and if not, can I pay to have that installed? I'm also trying to download the proper sales documents and the mysterious texter says they are in the "financing" section of the App, but I don't see any docs there to download. Also trying to understand what's going on with my trade-in. No answers. Just confusion--especially confusing as there are at least two people on the receiving end of my texts and they don't seem to share information or even be able to access all of my text history.

Complete joke. Eh, no big deal, just spending $55,000!
Well, we are picking up our new model Y this morning here near Santa Fe--at the Pojoaque Pueblo site and trading in our 2020 Model 3. We have had a different experience. We did communicate through texts, though I did have a couple phone calls. I asked for a phone number and got one I used. It was to a Tesla sales center. You do have to do everything through the APP. and sometimes "buttons" balked. They wanted me to call the Tesla insurance folks, which I did but they don't do that here in NM. But the call freed the button so I was able to move on. We had the most trouble loading pics of driver's license sand of the car. Their system (or mine) is a bit glitchy. But all told, we did get the 7,500 Federal deduction and they gave us 23, 600 in trade-in on the 2020 which is shocking--but more than the Ford dealer was going to when we were shopping a Lightning.
I found everyone to be pleasant and supportive---not idiots at all. But it can be frustrating at times. I just kept on texting and calling. I guess I built alot of patience while teaching public school for 29 years, and doing Special Ed. paperwork. The Tesla stuff was a breeze compared to all that.

Well, we are picking up our new model Y this morning here near Santa Fe--at the Pojoaque Pueblo site and trading in our 2020 Model 3. We have had a different experience. We did communicate through texts, though I did have a couple phone calls. I asked for a phone number and got one I used. It was to a Tesla sales center. You do have to do everything through the APP. and sometimes "buttons" balked. They wanted me to call the Tesla insurance folks, which I did but they don't do that here in NM. But the call freed the button so I was able to move on. We had the most trouble loading pics of driver's license sand of the car. Their system (or mine) is a bit glitchy. But all told, we did get the 7,500 Federal deduction and they gave us 23, 600 in trade-in on the 2020 which is shocking--but more than the Ford dealer was going to when we were shopping a Lightning.
I found everyone to be pleasant and supportive---not idiots at all. But it can be frustrating at times. I just kept on texting and calling. I guess I built alot of patience while teaching public school for 29 years, and doing Special Ed. paperwork. The Tesla stuff was a breeze compared to all that.

that is great trade-in $ on M3. Mileage/ trim ?

I agree about patience and expectations. You can't compare it to a commissioned traditional dealer. Expect IRS/ public school and you'll be fine ;)

Reactions: Jane4