Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in my M3 for MY - Sales process is a JOKE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a new inventory Y on Saturday, took photos of my trade-in 3 in the app the same day and I’m still waiting to hear back with their final offer for the trade-in. I don’t want to proceed with the remaining steps until that part is finished. Sent multiple text messages and messages in the Tesla app at all. Nothing but crickets. I’m scheduled for delivery on Thursday, but unless they get back to me about my trade-in soon and my questions about the FSD transfer I’m not so sure the original delivery date will hold.

As the others have said, this was a much more pleasant buying experience back in 2018 when I got my 3. I talked to a live person on the phone several times. If they want to improve their sales numbers for the quarter then addressing these communication issues during the purchasing process seems like it should be at the top of their list.

Edit: Literally the second after I posted this I got a reply back from Tesla saying that they’re reaching out to the trade-in team for an update. So given the speed of things so far, I’m not expecting to hear back until tomorrow…
FWIW, When I was getting ready to order an Inventory Y, i submitted for an appraisal then started a chat. The rep was able to expedite appraisal and was given an estimate within 10 mins. I placed the order, paid deposit, uploaded docs, applied for financing, changed insurance, etc...when I scheduled delivery, thats when they decided to cut my appraisal figure by $2k.

I was livid and ready to walk away. Fortunately my appraisal with carvana was still valid and I ended up selling my M3 to them for $5k more than Tesla's pathetic offer.

Having said all this, go ahead and get other appraisals from Carvana, Carmax, etc. That way if the same thing happens, you have the other offers to fall back to.

• Informative
Reactions: RSpanner and sparkz
I ordered a new inventory Y on Saturday, took photos of my trade-in 3 in the app the same day and I’m still waiting to hear back with their final offer for the trade-in. I don’t want to proceed with the remaining steps until that part is finished. Sent multiple text messages and messages in the Tesla app at all. Nothing but crickets. I’m scheduled for delivery on Thursday, but unless they get back to me about my trade-in soon and my questions about the FSD transfer I’m not so sure the original delivery date will hold.

As the others have said, this was a much more pleasant buying experience back in 2018 when I got my 3. I talked to a live person on the phone several times. If they want to improve their sales numbers for the quarter then addressing these communication issues during the purchasing process seems like it should be at the top of their list.

Edit: Literally the second after I posted this I got a reply back from Tesla saying that they’re reaching out to the trade-in team for an update. So given the speed of things so far, I’m not expecting to hear back until tomorrow…
I took my pictures for the trade in on Sunday morning. No change in the app yet, still pending. I'm waiting on the other steps also.

I'm going from a 2020 Model 3 to an inventory Model Y with FSD transfer.

I feel the Tesla experience is a JOKE for a $95K transaction (bought a MX during the pandemic, so paid more than now cost). Bought a Refreshed model X. Had never even SEEN a Refreshed one before the day I saw mine. They expected me to ACCEPT everything on the App without even sitting in it once, let alone have a test drive. While they were busy with someone else, I grabbed the RFID credit card off the counter for my car and atleast got to sit in in before I handed over a bunch of money. They weren't happy when saw the cards were missing, but wife said, "He's no going anywhere, he's just outside sitting in it. Calm down."

Sure the dealer upsells are a pain, but the Tesla sales model is the other way, 'just give us the money and get on your merry way'. I have had some dealers actually ask if wanted help with any of the new tech in the car and spend 10 minutes going over it. Since Tesla is suppose to be ALL new tech, for new to the brand, would seem like this would help, oh like how do you turn on Cruise? or lane-keep? Or on the Refresh, put it in gear, park, or turn on Turn Signals as they are missing stalks. Not like every other car, so a little help might not be turned down by all people giving them over $90k.

But alass. That would cost them money and minimizing that is really what the 'Minimalist' Tesla thing is about. We just got tricked into accepting Less is More.

Don't trade in with Tesla, they pay rock bottom prices.

But also, if you're transferring FSD and selling the old car privately or to a non-Tesla dealer, you need to have both cars in your name for the FSD transfer to go through. Dont sell the old one before taking possession of the new one, and you verify FSD is transferred. Then transfer the old car to your buyer.

Today I decided to just drive over to Tesla in Dedham, Mass., and see if I could get all my questions and concerns answered. There I met a wonderful salesperson who cheerfully and patiently helped me with all outstanding issues. She should get a promotion. Restored my faith in Tesla. If anyone wants her name, message me. She was knowledgeable and super helpful. That's what you want these days...but so hard to come by.

Don't trade in with Tesla, they pay rock bottom prices.

But also, if you're transferring FSD and selling the old car privately or to a non-Tesla dealer, you need to have both cars in your name for the FSD transfer to go through. Dont sell the old one before taking possession of the new one, and you verify FSD is transferred. Then transfer the old car to your buyer.
Yes, this necessity of owning two cars for as much as 48 hours is a real deal-breaker, and may basically force me to trade in with Tesla even though they are low-balling me by $2,000. It was pointed out to me today that in trading the car with Tesla, it will reduce the effective price of the car, which will reduce the taxes I pay by $875. So even with Tesla screwing me by $2,000, it's effectively "only" a loss of $1,125 if I trade it in with them vs. 3rd party sale. That, combined with the complicated FSD transfer may have me not do the Carmax thing. Decisions....

Yes, no, no. You can schedule a mobile service appt after taking delivery if you want someone to come to your house to install the accessories.

Everything you've said seems par for the course. Texting Tesla sucks, but someone will call you as you get closer to your delivery date.

correct they're much more responsive (almost too much) as you get closer to your delivery date.

Finally some activity today. Sent Tesla the info on my trade-in on Saturday. Only today did they ask for the payoff letter from the bank for the loan on my 3. Trade-in offer is still listed as pending. Tesla rep told me that if I don’t have all of the delivery tasks completed 24 hours before my delivery then I’ll need to reschedule…

I close the deal Thursday at 5pm. All my ducks are lined up. I do feel like they dragged me through the mud. And I’m upset they low-balled me on the trade. But I’m looking forward to the MY. At the same time, I’m a bit sad to lose the M3.

What a great car that was for me. My first “nice” car. My first EV. And the first commercially successful, somewhat affordable car with significant driver assist features.

What an improvement in my life autopilot has brought. And what a car it was for 100,500 miles. I’ll miss you, Model 3!

I close the deal Thursday at 5pm. All my ducks are lined up. I do feel like they dragged me through the mud. And I’m upset they low-balled me on the trade. But I’m looking forward to the MY. At the same time, I’m a bit sad to lose the M3.

What a great car that was for me. My first “nice” car. My first EV. And the first commercially successful, somewhat affordable car with significant driver assist features.

What an improvement in my life autopilot has brought. And what a car it was for 100,500 miles. I’ll miss you, Model 3!

I hear ya.My feeling exactly with trading my 3 for Y. Except I only have ~50K miles on my '19 SR 3, but it only has 180 mile range. I love it though

Less than 29 hours to my supposed delivery and Tesla still has yet to provide me with the trade-in offer. They said if all of the delivery tasks are not completed at least 24 hours before the scheduled pickup time then it will have to be rescheduled. Hoping there will be some activity in the next few hours, but with the way this has gone so far I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla drops the ball.

I hear ya.My feeling exactly with trading my 3 for Y. Except I only have ~50K miles on my '19 SR 3, but it only has 180 mile range. I love it though
I like the way the M3 drives better than the MY. And I like the way the M3 looks, better than the Y. I especially like my original Aero wheels/covers better than the hideous Geminis on the Y. But it's time to move on. I have three teenagers now. I often load up the M3 on trips to our cottage on Cape Cod. Practically speaking, the MY blows the M3 away. And a new bumper-to-bumper warranty never hurt anyones nerves!

Reactions: vickh
That's just it, never needed hand holding with regular dealership. Go there, pick a vehicle, make an offer, go pick it up. If I had questions about features included or purchase process, I had someone to call and ask. Unlike Tesla, where you talk to a different person each time and they can lie to you or misrepresent things with no accountability.

I think part of the problem is that in Texas, Tesla does not have dealerships or sales locations. You can't go and sit face to face with a salesman and discuss a specific vehicle. Evidently, in NY you can, since you refer to Tesla salesman. No such thing in TX.

When I went to Houston to demo a MYLR, I sat down with a very knowledgeable Tesla Rep who answered lot's of generic questions. I went home and ordered a vehicle. I had specific questions about that vehicle, so I called the number that the Rep had given me, even with his extension. A guy in Denver answered the phone and lied repeatedly to me. Subsequent calls to that phone number got answered from Florida and California and Texas and Colorado, but never by the same person. They all had a different take on the process.
Every dealership deal for me was like the "write the check" scene out of FARGO.
Tesla is not a problem until their a problem, which I do understsnd.
I had a couple little defects on the car at delvery and fixed them myself. I have little faith in the cosmetic fix area at the SC's.

Here is hoping the Car is Perfect and delivery itself goes smooth.

Last edited:
I like the way the M3 drives better than the MY. And I like the way the M3 looks, better than the Y. I especially like my original Aero wheels/covers better than the hideous Geminis on the Y. But it's time to move on. I have three teenagers now. I often load up the M3 on trips to our cottage on Cape Cod. Practically speaking, the MY blows the M3 away. And a new bumper-to-bumper warranty never hurt anyones nerves!

Yeah. You can buy aftermarket covers better than the hideous Geminis on the Y ( some claim more efficiency??)

Same here with space. Wish they'd make a 3 row SR.

I did buy a 3 extended warranty but I think they pro-rate refund if not used ?

Less than 29 hours to my supposed delivery and Tesla still has yet to provide me with the trade-in offer. They said if all of the delivery tasks are not completed at least 24 hours before the scheduled pickup time then it will have to be rescheduled. Hoping there will be some activity in the next few hours, but with the way this has gone so far I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla drops the ball.
Looks like my delivery scheduled tomorrow is going to hold. I called the number for my service center that I’m picking up from and followed the automated prompts and was connected to an actual live person surprisingly quickly. They were actually able to help me with the trade-in issue. The Operations Advisor at the location I’m picking up from had emailed me yesterday asking for the payoff letter for the loan on my 3 and I emailed them back very quickly with it. They never attached the PDF to my order, so the trade-in team couldn’t provide the final offer. The person I spoke with on the phone was able to get this all resolved within an hour after I spoke with them.

Had to call Tesla back another 2 times to do the FSD transfer agreement (I never saw anything in the app about this) and fix the financing stuff as it showed me owing over negative $8K for the down payment. All remaining issues were fixed very quickly after I spoke with the Tesla reps on the phone. I would have called them earlier, but I just assumed it was impossible to get a hold of an actual person.

TLDR; call your local Tesla location and follow the phone prompts to connect with an actual person to get any immediate issues addressed quickly.

Reactions: vickh
Looks like my delivery scheduled tomorrow is going to hold. I called the number for my service center that I’m picking up from and followed the automated prompts and was connected to an actual live person surprisingly quickly. They were actually able to help me with the trade-in issue. The Operations Advisor at the location I’m picking up from had emailed me yesterday asking for the payoff letter for the loan on my 3 and I emailed them back very quickly with it. They never attached the PDF to my order, so the trade-in team couldn’t provide the final offer. The person I spoke with on the phone was able to get this all resolved within an hour after I spoke with them.

Had to call Tesla back another 2 times to do the FSD transfer agreement (I never saw anything in the app about this) and fix the financing stuff as it showed me owing over negative $8K for the down payment. All remaining issues were fixed very quickly after I spoke with the Tesla reps on the phone. I would have called them earlier, but I just assumed it was impossible to get a hold of an actual person.

TLDR; call your local Tesla location and follow the phone prompts to connect with an actual person to get any immediate issues addressed quickly.

So did they give you a trade in offer?

So did they give you a trade in offer?
They did. They low balled it as everyone else here mentioned, but my monthly payment is right where I was expecting it to be. With the FSD transfer rules it would be too big of a pain for me to sell it elsewhere. I’m getting a $2400 discount because it’s an inventory vehicle, so that definitely helps.

Looks like my delivery scheduled tomorrow is going to hold. I called the number for my service center that I’m picking up from and followed the automated prompts and was connected to an actual live person surprisingly quickly. They were actually able to help me with the trade-in issue. The person at the location

They did. They low balled it as everyone else here mentioned, but my monthly payment is right where I was expecting it to be. With the FSD transfer rules it would be too big of a pain for me to sell it elsewhere. I’m getting a $2400 discount because it’s an inventory vehicle, so that definitely helps.
Yep. That's exactly what happened to me but fortunately my Carvana appraisal was still valid so I pulled the trade and sold it to Carvana for $5k more than Tesla's offer. They literally just picked it up a few mins ago.

View recent photos.jpeg

Reactions: DarrenHD