Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank goodness for Self Driving

If you have Self Driving, how often do you use it?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, this is concerning behavior IMO. It's awesome it avoided a collision here, but it took you waaay onto the shoulder. Had that thing rolled a little bit more and kept affected your trajectory you would have had a very bad time... much worse than simply hitting a barrel.

Honestly, this is concerning behavior IMO. It's awesome it avoided a collision here, but it took you waaay onto the shoulder. Had that thing rolled a little bit more and kept affected your trajectory you would have had a very bad time... much worse than simply hitting a barrel.

We would have to see the raw footage to see if the cameras had the end of concrete mapped or not. I’d say it’s a 50/50 on if it knew where it ended. But I feel like that metal pole was close.....

I was on FSD and it moved me to the right. I saw it coming and had my hands on the wheel and it turned for me. I was ready to turn more if needed. Didn't need to take control.
Very cool. Some people would have over corrected and drove into the ditch.

I, too, am curious if Autopilot would've turned the car into the ditch if the barrel kept rolling towards the car...

I had an incident the other day that impressed me. I was on the interstate, three lanes, navigate on autopilot. The car likes the middle lane and I was traveling about 10 mph faster than the cars I was overtaking. My car slowed behind a vehicle ahead of me, there was a car to his right and another to my right in the right hand lane, the left lane was clear. My description sucks, basically we were in a square and I was the left rear car of the four. The car notified me it was changing to the left lane because it was faster, I checked the rear view mirror, no car within 300 feet of me, checked the left mirror and the left lane was completely clear. The car moved about 1/3 way into the left land, then yanked back into the center lane as a woman in an Audi ripped past me on the left at well over 100 mph. She had been in the right lane, closed at high speed, and at the last second jerked her car across the three lanes to whip around me on my left. Had the car not moved back into the middle lane there is no way she would have been able to get around me without hitting me and causing a multi car accident.

Now, it is possible I would have looked back into my rear view mirror one more time and seen her flying up from behind and avoided the accident if I were driving the car, but realistically probably not since I had just checked and nobody was even remotely close to me. And had I jerked the car back into the center lane I could/would have overcorrected and hit the car in the right hand lane. Instead the car yanked itself back to the center of the middle lane. Then it calmly signalled and moved back into the left lane to pass.

I was so startled I forgot to toot the horn to save the video. :/

I had an incident the other day that impressed me. I was on the interstate, three lanes, navigate on autopilot. The car likes the middle lane and I was traveling about 10 mph faster than the cars I was overtaking. My car slowed behind a vehicle ahead of me, there was a car to his right and another to my right in the right hand lane, the left lane was clear. My description sucks, basically we were in a square and I was the left rear car of the four. The car notified me it was changing to the left lane because it was faster, I checked the rear view mirror, no car within 300 feet of me, checked the left mirror and the left lane was completely clear. The car moved about 1/3 way into the left land, then yanked back into the center lane as a woman in an Audi ripped past me on the left at well over 100 mph. She had been in the right lane, closed at high speed, and at the last second jerked her car across the three lanes to whip around me on my left. Had the car not moved back into the middle lane there is no way she would have been able to get around me without hitting me and causing a multi car accident.

Now, it is possible I would have looked back into my rear view mirror one more time and seen her flying up from behind and avoided the accident if I were driving the car, but realistically probably not since I had just checked and nobody was even remotely close to me. And had I jerked the car back into the center lane I could/would have overcorrected and hit the car in the right hand lane. Instead the car yanked itself back to the center of the middle lane. Then it calmly signalled and moved back into the left lane to pass.

I was so startled I forgot to toot the horn to save the video. :/
Great to hear it did the right thing.
Don’t forget you can also tap the red dot icon (upper right hand corner) to record the last 10 mins of dash cam footage.