Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving subscription for 2023 Model Y HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And, for the record: On 2/8/2024, V12 hasn't been released to any production branch at this time. Some influencers, company alpha testers, but the hoi polloi, nope.

May be coming in a few weeks, but it looks like Tesla is being careful.

Well... doesn't really matter, I guess. I got in with FSD for cheapsies back in 2019 or so and have hung on to it since then. 11.4.9, the current FSD-b release, has its moments when it works well and others when it's not wonderful.

When 12.x shows those with 11 will be updated.
Bunch of online posts are saying that they are restricting lot of FSD features for HW4 since it doesn’t have USS and Tesla is still working on its Vision based FSD!!

I just wanted to confirm from few members who has HW4 without USS and FSD.

Bunch of online posts are saying that they are restricting lot of FSD features for HW4 since it doesn’t have USS and Tesla is still working on its Vision based FSD!!

Yeah, those are the naysayers at work. And, probably, the ‘Junk’ brigade. Ever since FSD-b got introduced, there’s been posters who’ve claimed that any kind of FSD is impossible, that LIDAR is critical, RADAR is critical, there’s not enough compute power, there needs to be more cameras, or they need to be in different places, the whole idea is flawed, and so on.

Some of these types claim various engineering degrees, software degrees, and experience designing similar systems.

The ‘Junk’ brigade in general mostly believes Musk is a total charlatan. Some have supposedly worked hard to remove FSD from their cars (or so they claim).

If this sounds suspiciously like a crowd from TeslaQ.. well, it kinda does.

There are those of us who’ve been impressed with FSD’s performance and vast improvements over the past few years, cumulating in 11.4.9. Others (even over the last few days) who’ve pointed out that V12’s photons-in, steering-out approach approach is unlikely to run out of steam on V3 compute power. Interestingly, these posts get a laugh-at response from the negative types.. but not a technical response. Which should tell you something.

Nobody is claiming that any FSD is in robotaxi state. Clearly, though, Tesla hasn’t given up on V3 and their efforts. We’ll see.

If you want to wait until V12.x releases to GA, fine, that’s your prerogative, of course. But don’t forget that on the internet anybody can be a dog.. and their are lots of people who would like to see Tesla fail.

Reactions: Ritu_o0o

All current FSD Beta features work with HW4. I’ve used them in both of our HW4 cars (neither of which have USS). When HW4 first came out about a year ago, it didn’t support FSD Beta initially.

As to whether you should wait for FSD Beta v12, it depends on what you’re trying to get out of it, and how long you’re willing to wait.

Reactions: Ritu_o0o
I recently subscribed to FSD Beta to check it out and it works on HW4 Model X but not particularly well. I have driven a pre-refresh model X loaner and it drove much better, especially when it came to stop signs and turns. It just drove more like a person would. HW4 X does the "creeping forward for visibility" thing that is annoying.

Today I got to drive to the airport. First longer drive on it. It's about 40 miles or there about.

• Twice it attempted to merge onto a shoulder. Once quite aggressively.
  • It would have missed a transition from one highway to another had I not taken over because it would have run out of time to make that lane change due to traffic
  • Fantom breaking once
  • Randomly switched speed limit to 35 mph twice and slammed the breaks (I was traveling 70 mph at the time and the speed limit was 65 mph). I think it read a sign on the back and got confused. I can't confirm that though.
  • A few times it hesitated making a turn on local roads
  • Stopped for RR crossing with a flashing yellow light and the gate open every time I drove over it

So, it's far from perfect but much better than a few months ago when I had a free trial on the Y.