Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thanks to Slackjaw!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today Ian and I met up. He let me drive his Roadster and it was a nice long drive. A while ago (over a year, maybe a little longer) I posted about having a quick drive in MPTs Roadster. That was fun and I really enjoyed it, but having this long drive where I could really accelerate and get a feel for the Roadster was awesome. I really enjoyed the car as a whole (though getting in and out is definitely awkward when you aren't use to it, though I think I managed well). Now, I have to say, I'm really upset that I have to go back to my ICE Ford Focus. I really enjoy (enjoyed?) the manual shifting, but after the Roadster, an ICE really does feel slugglish. Also, especially since there was really no real agenda of where I was driving, except when we went to a final Mini-E meetup, I didn't feel any guilt at all about just driving like I would in an ICE (taking a Sunday drive concept).

So, I definitely enjoyed the experience and really look forward to when EVs are in the cost range that are more affordable. I would definitely love to buy one.

Unfortunately there are no pictures (next time) as my cell phone died and my mom had both her cameras so I couldn't take one to use.

Thanks again Ian!

-Shark2k

Yeah, once you drive a Roadster for a significant period of time, you get spoiled. I was fortunate enough to test drive one for a whole day! Very fun!!!

However, I couldn't justify even $80,000 on a used Roadster given the limitations of it, so I went on a quest to find a reasonable facsimile. After test driving lots of cars from a BMW Z4 to an Audi TT to a Lexus IS 350C convertible, none of them even came close to the feel of the Roadster until I got in a Mercedes SLK 55 AMG. For $25,000, (a used 2006), the AMG was close enough and I pulled the trigger. Love it!

Now I just need to wait for my Model S to be built.

Thanks again Ian!

-Shark2k

Shark2k: Really, my pleasure. Thanks for the demo of the solar array and monitoring system. We'll have to do it again so you can get some good pictures...

Fellow TMC members: You should have seen Matt (Skark2k) explaining the Roadster to his Grandparents (and their neighbours... and that guy down the street)! It's really something to see and hear someone else advocate EVs and promote the Roadster. Somehow it carries more weight from a non-owner; I regularly advocate EVs to myself, my dog, and our goldfish, mostly after wondering "I spent *how much* on that car?".

If anyone wants to read about the Mini-E meet a short report was posted here on Tom M's blog.