Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thanksgiving Travel Predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay gang, I know it's still more than two months out, but I'm a total planner at heart, and I'm already thinking about Thanksgiving travel.

We'll be driving from northern LA county to Sacramento to visit family for Thanksgiving. Do we brave the Superchargers over the holiday week/weekend? Or do we suffer through driving the ICE SUV instead? I have a CHAdeMO adapter, does that help speed things up by skipping Superchargers, even with the slower charge speed?

It sounds like it was a hot mess last year. And there's only more Teslas on the road now. Add into that a husband who's still skeptical about this whole EV thing, and gets annoyed with inconvenience easily. Decisions, decisions.

What's everyone else planning to do?

Reactions: goldengate
He sounds like a peach. It would be nice if Tesla released the data on when the chargers were busiest last year. I am sure if you leave right after work you will be stuck in get-outta-town traffic, and that will be true at the chargers as well. I am sure those who left at midnight or even somewhat earlier don't have that wait, but you are driving all night, not everyone is up for that. I always use that trick, never leave for LA before 9pm.

I know there is a new Supercharger being built just north of Kettleman City, it will have 59 stations, the new Patterson charger just opened so there are a bunch of extra chargers on the route compared to last year. These new chargers and even a bank at Kettleman are v3 as well, so quicker charging. They don't slow down when someone charges next to you.

But having EVERYONE on the road is more difficult with electric than gas, that is true.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
It will be busy. It's always busy. If they manage to get the new 56 stall mega-station done in Firebaugh before the holiday (big if), that will greatly help with I-5. If not, expect to wait if you're traveling during peak times. Kettleman city had a nasty line over labor day.

If you can NOT be traveling on Wednesday afternoon/evening or Sunday afternoon/evening, your experience will be much better.

I wonder if Tesla deploys new mobile Supercharger powered by Megapack instead of diesel generators - Electrek

TEsla-Mobile-Supercharger-e1575024891429.jpg

It was indeed a "hot mess" last year. If the grapevine is closed, take your ice vehicle. They are adding capacity along 101 but it's still an underserved corridor and no way can it handle all the I-5 traffic / charging.
If grapevine is open and there are no forecast storms, I would leave early and try not to hit any SC's during meal times, especially lunch.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
Okay gang, I know it's still more than two months out, but I'm a total planner at heart, and I'm already thinking about Thanksgiving travel.

We'll be driving from northern LA county to Sacramento to visit family for Thanksgiving. Do we brave the Superchargers over the holiday week/weekend? Or do we suffer through driving the ICE SUV instead? I have a CHAdeMO adapter, does that help speed things up by skipping Superchargers, even with the slower charge speed?

It sounds like it was a hot mess last year. And there's only more Teslas on the road now. Add into that a husband who's still skeptical about this whole EV thing, and gets annoyed with inconvenience easily. Decisions, decisions.

What's everyone else planning to do?

Based on your specific circumstances, I would suggest to you that it would be simpler for you to take the ICE vehicle. Regardless of how busy it is or not, Thanksgiving can be stressful regardless of the additional stress of travel. Since you said:

===================================

. Add into that a husband who's still skeptical about this whole EV thing, and gets annoyed with inconvenience easily. Decisions, decisions.

===================================

I put forth to you that, in your circumstance, if you take your EV and ANYTHING at all goes even slightly sideways or inconvenient, it will make the rest of your trip miserable for you, and him, and whoever else you are traveling with. You dont want to be in a situation where someone is saying (or even thinking) " I told you so" or anything like that during these stressful travel times. You know your family, and if you know he is not fully "on board" with the "whole EV thing", better to take the ICE vehicle and not have to make an additional stop / wait in a line etc, while he gets more frustrated.

You would make it fine in your tesla, but that isnt the point. The point is to reduce the travel stress as much as possible. Thats where my recommendation to take the ICE vehicle comes from. Save winning him over more toward the EV side on something less stressful than holiday travel.

Counterpoint to the above...
My husband was also a skeptic (now he has a Range Rover PHEV)...
Our first trip we had a momentary breakdown due to a loose cable on our 12v battery and we arrived at Atascdero supercharger to a huge line, the need to pee and 12 miles left of range. It was a disaster and I was super stressed and thought we would never get to take a trip again in our Tesla....
But then he saw .... he never has to drive since I don't get tired driving it thanks to TACC and sometimes autopilot... and we could watch Netflix while we were waiting.... and people at the superchargers were friendly and felt like family... and sound quality of stereo... and the podcasts...
Teslas are GREAT road trip cars and I can't wait for COVID to be over so we feel safe resuming our travels. As I said above, if there's any threat of the Grapevine closing, don't take the Tesla. Have a great time and crank up the music and enjoy Tesla life!

Add into that a husband who's still skeptical about this whole EV thing, and gets annoyed with inconvenience easily.
Could you avoid the rush hours?

- Many people are working remotely, so technically they could be working remotely at their "remote" trip location a day earlier or a day later.

You can also consider the cost of gas versus electrons, that would compensate for some nice other expenses.

Last edited:
Advantage..... night drivers. Rarely a line at the SpC's let alone another Tesla. If Firebaugh opens in time - looks as though it will, things should be better this holiday.

- On I-5, they've added several stations and increased capacity since last year - Patterson, - and if Sac bound, Manteca 1 & Manteca #2 (a simple divert over to Hwy 99 and it has V3's), Stockton still iffy, Elk Grove (16 v3's).

- After Tejon Ranch, Hwy 99 is an alternate with plenty of SvC's and some more almost to completion.

-Hwy 101, with the recent addition of Paso Robles (28 V3's), Goleta (12 V3's), Pismo Beach (12 v3's) - should solve the SLO debacle.

On the down side - there are many more Teslas than last year, but the Pandemic may inhibit some travel.

Be careful guys - I still wanna hear inputs from you after the holidays.

- After Tejon Ranch, Hwy 99 is an alternate with plenty of SvC's and some more almost to completion.

Fresno is a major major choke point on SR99 for holiday travel with only 10 v2 stalls. It’s also a “must stop” for most. If Traver opens up in time that will ease pressure on Fresno as most could make it from Traver to Modesto.

Fresno is in big need of an expansion. The mega pack on a trailer is there most holiday weekends, which has helped, but the line can still be super gnarly.

Teslas are GREAT road trip cars and I can't wait for COVID to be over so we feel safe resuming our travels. As I said above, if there's any threat of the Grapevine closing, don't take the Tesla.

We've done two road trips this summer in the Tesla, one being this exact drive from LA to Sacramento, the other going out to Colorado to visit my parents. It is an AMAZING road trip car. I swore up and down I wouldn't drive out to Colorado with the kids in tow (2 boys, 8 and 4), but we didn't feel comfortable flying with COVID around. And it went great!

The trip home from Sacramento after Christmas last year was nightmareish, even in the ICE SUV, because the Grapevine had only reopened shortly before we got to it. It took us 8+ hours, when it usually only takes 6. I really, really wish I had had Autopilot though.

• Love
Could you avoid the rush hours?

Advantage..... night drivers. Rarely a line at the SpC's let alone another Tesla. If Firebaugh opens in time - looks as though it will, things should be better this holiday.

We usually try to get an early start to beat the crowds, regardless. Seems even more important with the Tesla. My husband would love to go at night, just not sure if I want to deal with cranky kids who won't sleep well in the car. (Seems like no matter what, someone in the family is going to end up grumpy...)

If Firebaugh does open in time, that may help sway me towards pushing for taking the Tesla.

I suspect travel will be down for COVID reasons. But that is just a guess.

Charging availability depends on the weather; and 2) days you plan to travel. We've driven from The OC to the Bay Area each of the last two Thanksgivings, but don't drive on Wednesday or Sunday. We leave at o-dark-thirty. Last year the grapevine was threatened to be closed so 101 traffic was heavy. On the return, we got the last charge spot at Madonna Inn at ~9 am, but there was a queue 45 minutes later after we finished breakfast. I understand the line got worse by late afternoon.