Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

that little hatchback thing…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a couple of years my Roadster has been, as far as I know, the only electric car in my little town here in Texas. Recently I've seen a Chevy Volt parked downtown a couple of times, but we all know that's not really an "electric car" as such.

A few days ago I was at the post office when a man approached me and asked me how my car was working for me, and of course I said it's been great. Then he mentioned that he'd just bought a new Tesla. Oh, cool! Which one did you get, I asked. He didn't know. Let's think about that for a second… He bought a new Tesla and did not know which model it was! After fumbling for words for a few moments, he managed to explain that it was "that little hatchback thing".

uhh… Hmm. I pondered that for a few seconds and then took a guess. Model X? Is is the one with the doors that go up? Yes, he said, that's the one!

I just thought everyone ought to be informed that here in small-town rural Texas, the land of Ford Excursions and gigantic pickup trucks, the Model X is looked upon as a small hatchback.

I only spoke with him briefly, and it was clear that he was still settling in with his new vehicle and working out how far he could go, where he could charge, etc. As for not knowing the model name, I guess it's just an indicator of Tesla's changing position in the marketplace, as these cars are no longer just for "early adopters" who've done massive amounts of research.

Even in Seattle where Tesla's are abundant. I see about 10-15 Model Ss and 5-10 Model Xs on my 18 mile commute in people still consider my X a "car" even though it's wider than a Ford F250 and a Cadillac Escalade and has an upright seating position.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, in the Bay Area, where one can't go a mile without spotting a Tesla, even I have on occasion mistaken an X for that other little hatchback thing, the Prius.

e303635b39773300532476f6e4f13f598b407614eb45e78069596371f86afbb1.jpg