Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The “Right” Sticky Stuff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, all the best for 2024 to you

Kinda revisiting an old post here reference attaching the front plate to the plastic base on model Y.

Don’t want to screw it and drill holes in things. Must be someone out there who has used tape of some description that has been more than adequate to hold things in place sufficiently?

Thanks.

"No more nails" do (or at least did a few years ago) sticky pads that I used when I gently bumped an old car and number plate fell off. Was supposed to be a temporary fix but stayed so strong I left it and did another 80k miles or so and it held up strong.
3M also do some pretty strong stuff too.

That's assuming you never want to remove the plate again.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl

The Lotus-7 "Hooligan" i built had the fibre glass front wheel arches glued (with "Wurth") to chrome'd supporting rods. They got some stick, but never came off ... also impossible to remove if any got onto hands / clothes etc.!

Without doubt overkill for a number plate though ...

Remember that the plastic plinth is made of the waxy plastic that many ‘usual candidate’ options are ‘not suitable for’. We fell foul of this doing exactly the same thing when we found the number plate on the floor after sitting in hot sun for the whole day. It wasn’t poorly fitted, I just didn’t read the ‘not suitable for’ part and assumed that it would be fine as others had used same product for similar but not identical purpose. Our rear one is still rock solid nearly 4 years later, but that is attached direct to the car and not the plastic plinth on the front.

"No more nails" do (or at least did a few years ago) sticky pads that I used when I gently bumped an old car and number plate fell off. Was supposed to be a temporary fix but stayed so strong I left it and did another 80k miles or so and it held up strong.
3M also do some pretty strong stuff too.

Paid quite a bit for 3M tape (can’t recall the product number), tried that and fell off after a few hours! This is after I’d made sure to wipe the plastic down with alcohol rub.

Remember that the plastic plinth is made of the waxy plastic that many ‘usual candidate’ options are ‘not suitable for’. We fell foul of this doing exactly the same thing when we found the number plate on the floor after sitting in hot sun for the whole day. It wasn’t poorly fitted, I just didn’t read the ‘not suitable for’ part and assumed that it would be fine as others had used same product for similar but not identical purpose. Our rear one is still rock solid nearly 4 years later, but that is attached direct to the car and not the plastic plinth on the front.
This is exactly where I am at! So what did you opt for for the front? This plinth is the issue for sure, I haven’t found anything that will stick to it long term and that include 3M VHB.

Used VHB Velcro already, fell off after a few days
3M branded? Did you use pieces the same size as the plate as I linked to, or just a few strips? Did you prepare the surface by cleaning with IPA wipes?

I've got the same velcro on two Model 3s stuck to the 'waxy plastic' and it's been fine for 3years+. Want to see photos?
Trying to get away with a few thin strips of it won't work.

I did this orginally because we were doing various car events and some filming with the cars so we were switching to show plates quite a lot, so they've had quite a bit of abuse but the velcro is still stuck firm.

This is exactly where I am at! So what did you opt for for the front? This plinth is the issue for sure, I haven’t found anything that will stick to it long term and that include 3M VHB
3M branded? Did you use pieces the same size as the plate as I linked to, or just a few strips? Did you prepare the surface by cleaning with IPA wipes?

I've got the same velcro on two Model 3s stuck to the 'waxy plastic' and it's been fine for 3years+. Want to see photos?
used this in decent sized strips and after wiping down the plastic yeh.
VELCRO Brand Heavy Duty Stick On... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00186Q9AK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Also have tried this and that didn’t work either
3M VHB 4941193 Adhesive Tape... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EDLCS9S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I did this orginally because we were doing various car events and some filming with the cars so we were switching to show plates quite a lot, so they've had quite a bit of abuse but the velcro is still stuck firm.
I used Velcro method on previous M3 too but both front and rear ends were stuck straight to bodywork. Even with the curvature in the front, the Velcro still kept the plate on for 3 years with no issues.

4941/4947 VHB is the right one, but preparation is all important with any adhesive, especially if you want it to stick to a material like the one used for the number plate plinth. Abrading the surface slightly then cleaning with IPA helps. Using a heat gun to warm the surface up to 30 deg. C or so, especially in cold temperatures, also helps a lot when applying VHB. There are also sprays/wipes 3M do called 'adhesion promotors' which I may have used originally and you should be able to find wipes on ebay or somewhere so you don't have to buy a spray can.

At the end of the day, if you use a piece of Velcro (proper stuff with good adhesive) the same size as the number plate and prepare the surfaces well, it will work, as will using enough VHB tape. But 3 or 4 thin strips of VHB along the length of the plate won't be enough, that's true. Especially as the plinth on the front is slightly curved to fit the car.

4941/4947 VHB is the right one, but preparation is all important with any adhesive, especially if you want it to stick to a material like the one used for the number plate plinth. Abrading the surface slightly then cleaning with IPA helps. Using a heat gun to warm the surface up to 30 deg. C or so, especially in cold temperatures, also helps a lot when applying VHB. There are also sprays/wipes 3M do called 'adhesion promotors' which I may have used originally and you should be able to find wipes on ebay or somewhere so you don't have to buy a spray can.

At the end of the day, if you use a piece of Velcro (proper stuff with good adhesive) the same size as the number plate and prepare the surfaces well, it will work, as will using enough VHB tape. But 3 or 4 thin strips of VHB along the length of the plate won't be enough, that's true. Especially as the plinth on the front is slightly curved to fit the car.
Thanks, really appreciate this and will give this a go

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Just don’t like them I guess
Could you not get stick on but then apply them to the plinth, therefore giving you the illusion of a proper plate on the plinth?

Unrelated... It is funny how our tastes change. When I was younger I always wanted one of these number plate surrounds like Tesla use - secured in place with a screw but without the need to drill the plate itself. Now I look at them and think how they look so clumpy and clumsy. I will likely stick a plate direct to the boot when I have my highland, and then either apply a plate to the plinth or replace the plinth with a vinyl plate.