Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 1st 8 Cameras Dash Cam (DVR) installed on a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what about integrate the additional display into one of the visor?

You mean the sun visor? The view outside is already limited enough, and I don't think people will use the sun visor apart from when it's actually needed.

When I have time and money to finish my installation, it will be much easier to show how I am thinking of implementing it. Then it will make a lot of sense, as you actually see it installed.

I think this Car cam system is very useful in Hong Kong. This price is also not expensive. Just wanna know the resolution and actual quality of the cams. Blur image on the plate from front and back car is no use. Also the visibility in night view. With GPS seems to be a powerful evidence in court issue.

Heard that there is 360 with birdview system in China with recording even when the car is OFF. Wondering if we can get this in HK too.

Tony, agreed! Recording device is a must have in HK, check out the pics below from one of our whatsapp group member earlier today (confirmed/received his consent to post on TMC forum)…

IMG-20150301-WA0022.jpg
IMG-20150301-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20150301-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20150301-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20150301-WA0016.jpg
IMG-20150301-WA0050.jpg

BTW – for those from overseas the “P” stand for probationary driving period for new drivers

Mark/Bill, ah forgot to mentioned those pics 26 – 30 is not actually installed on my car, just some samples of possible alternative locations from bill/jerry.

RubberToe, will be nice to see Tesla integrate additional cams into the console along with 360 degree view! Perhaps next update, Version 6xx? In addition to what Ebill have said, please check out the pics above, you will understand why :-D

DITB(Core), agreed!

Tony, external display within the sun visor can be done. But that will add an extra step in finding out what’s going on, I prefer the screen to stay on at all time (even when is parked) with the view of all 4 corners of the rims (that’s what I use it for most of the time, to get around tight places such as parking lots, double/triple parked street…etc) so when that time comes, I don’t need to click/press/switch anything, I simply look at the rear view mirror display and act accordingly in a timely manner. The display from the rear view mirror it really is the best location for it, the distance is not too far or too close away, no need to adjust/move your body to view it and it wouldn't affect or get in the way of the airbags deployment.

Hungyip84, true!

duidui, I don’t know any good seller/installer for Blackvue.

Geist, I will upload some videos when I get my car back next week from 20k service. The 360 bird’s eye view system is available in HK, but not recommended for recording as the images are too wide (oval shaped).

- - - Updated - - -

Last but not least....

CHG-ON, this dash cam is currently not available in US. If you are interested, I can get one to you on my trip to the states between Mid March - April.

Joefee,

A few thoughts on the front camera/switch.

The front camera and wiring can be disconnected and the original wiring for the touchscreen restored to the original connections without the switch in about ten minutes on RHD cars and probably even faster on LHD cars. The switch module is easier to access on LHD cars.

You might want to try a different service center. Others who have reported that their local service center won't sell them a front camera just went elsewhere.

Not clear if you are in Canada or California from the location, but in the US there are very clear rules regarding aftermarket products and it being Tesla's responsibility to prove the accessories caused any issues to void the warranty. At least locally, they are taking the lead from the US.

Professional quality installations shouldn't create any problems. I have not seen anyone on this forum report a warranty related problem with regards to the front camera and switch. With probably almost all (>90%) of the front camera users also are on this forum I would have thought it would be reported. The thread on front cameras is very useful for additional information.

- - - Updated - - -

CHG-ON,

Echoing Sunny's comments, the units are currently not available in the US. The Taiwan manufacturer is looking for a new US distributor. The major market for this product here is in government and commercial vehicles to have recordings for any legal issues regarding accidents. Fortunately, the product is small enough and aesthetically pleasing enough to use inside a Tesla.

The trick is not only the hardware, but the installation in the mirrors and the settings. The labor and knowledge is about half the cost in the installations here.

Tony, you are very welcome! Let me know next time you are heading to Hopewell, I can drop by as my office is within a block away. Actually I’m meeting up with Suresh (who’s also interested in this dash cam) at Hopewell this afternoon at 3 PM, free feel to stop by or we can arrange some other time.

It seems there is a new group buy on the way.

I believe the price is in the range of 10K HKD, depending on what details you require.

Please show your interest here if you want an install like this.

- - - Updated - - -

I want a separate battery somewhere, which charges when the car is running, when plugged in, and from solar panels mounted on the parcel shelf. This is because I am concerned to run down the cars own 12V battery too low, and I want the DVR function to be able to keep going for weeks. Only recording movement, but from all cameras (vandalism and car park damage).

I also want a slightly different setup of screens. I want the three rear facing cameras to show as a "virtual rear view mirror" that flips down in front of the normal rear view mirror. Will give a lot better view, but in case of low sun or other problems, I can just flip it up to get the original mirror back.

I also want a string of screens on the dash board, behind the top of the steering wheel. These screens will be "always on" any time the car is running, and show front and sides of the car. They won't obstruct the view, and a quick glance down from looking straight ahead will show me obstacles near the car, as well as blind angle objects. I DON'T want to need to press a button first, it must be ON always, when the car is on, and not needing to select any particular camera.

Tony, the dash cam with install is 12,000 HKD (promotion price I got at the car show in Dec, retail is about 14k), since we got Jerry (shop owner) to come out last weekend at Gold Coast to demo the 360/dash cam, they are offering similar price for group buy, listed below are GP packages (with install).

A. Base package (5-cam with installation):
1. Main control unit (with built-in two cameras at the front)
2. One camera at the rear windshield
3. Two cameras at each side mirror (either front or rear view)
4. Two SD cards (8GB and 64GB)
Price: $8,100

B. Full-side-view package (7-cam with installation):
1. Main control unit (with built-in two cameras at the front)
2. One camera at the rear windshield
3. Four cameras at each side mirror (front view x2 and rear view x2)
4. Two SD cards (8GB and 64GB)
5. Constant surveillance with low battery detection and cut off
Price: $10,000

Other optional items (w/ installation):
6. GPS antenna with CAREC Playback software -- $480
7. 8th camera for view of dashboard -- $900
8. 8th camera for reverse recording with view of bumper -- $1,400

The overall size of rear-view mirror (either 3.5 or 4.3 inch embedded monitor) stays the same, alternative to that would be a standalone unit (mini DVR) with 3.5 LCD or a 5 inch external LCD that plugs into mini DVR (can’t upload any pics, will have Mark upload it. Thanks Mark!).

Vmax, I don’t think this will be an issue with Tesla warranty. If I recall the constant power / ACC cables were directly from fuse box, so not even a single cable being cut or modified in anyway. Other than the 2 holes per each of the side mirror for the cameras.

Hello all,

SUNNY and all, thanks so much for sharing all this wonderful info!

Seeing as the first post was in Jan and the last in May, I'm reading this rather late!...

My 70D isn't expected until another 2 months but I am interested in something like the 5-cam base package. Wife won't be happy as we're already spending over HK$50K on charger installation (110m cable run), not to mention the cost of the car!:eek: I'm interested in it mainly for surveillance when my car is parked. I'd like it to record video whenever it detects motion to catch door dingers/vandals in the act. I'd also like to use it to see if anyone tries messing around with the charger connector while my car is charging, especially at my private parking stall. Those 2 cams at each side mirror seem really good for that but of course the system has to have motion detection and such a feature to record whenever motion is detected.

I think the professionalism, care and know-how of the installer/installation company is critically important to make sure nothing is damaged during the installation and to ensure all cables go through factory rubber seals, etc.

Looks like SUNNY's shop is great. SUNNY, can you please share the contact info for that shop?

Are there any updates on the camera make/models, packages offers from the shop, or the group buy?

Has anyone else besides SUNNY gone for the same 8-cam setup from that same shop?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited:
Frogwheels and derektom,

Contact Jerry Cheng at 9439.6969.

I helped Jerry and Sunny with the install above. I have a 7 camera installation with a remove DVR versus the rearview mirror mounted unit. The rear view mirror mounted unit was too large for my tastes and I wanted a more discrete DVR unit. I have the DVR unit installed in the cubby below the 17" screen with cables that I can also pull the unit in and out as needed. See pictures below with dvr in cubby and holding it outside the cubby. I also have a remote display but haven't taken pictures yet. Send me a PM if you would like to see my installation.

Jerry has a number of options on the number of cameras, DVR (rear view mirror or remote unit), extra displays, tire pressure monitoring, GPS positioning, 24 hour surveillance, etc. Best to pay him a visit and see what options works best for you. With 60% of accidents in HK reportedly to be side impact events, a typical black vue with front and rear cameras won't capture the event. He does first class work and stands behind all his installations. Having watched him work on several cars I have seen Jerry and his technicians take the extra care to do all their installations correctly.

Say you know Cindy, Sunny, John, Lincoln or myself (Bill) and he will know you are part of the local Tesla group and should give you a better price. Due to the range of options available there isn't one standard price.

View attachment 92156View attachment 92153View attachment 92154View attachment 92157View attachment 92155

Re-posting images of the products. The first one is the DVR installed in a clip on review view mirror. The second one is the remote DVR inside the cubby. The third photo is the remote DVR pulled out of the cubby plus a remote display on the left side of the photo.

rearview_mirror_DVR.JPG
remote_dvr_in_cubby.JPG
remote_dvr_remote_display.JPG

Frogwheels and derektom,

Contact Jerry Cheng at 9439.6969.

I helped Jerry and Sunny with the install above. I have a 7 camera installation with a remove DVR versus the rearview mirror mounted unit. The rear view mirror mounted unit was too large for my tastes and I wanted a more discrete DVR unit. I have the DVR unit installed in the cubby below the 17" screen with cables that I can also pull the unit in and out as needed. See pictures below with dvr in cubby and holding it outside the cubby. I also have a remote display but haven't taken pictures yet. Send me a PM if you would like to see my installation.

Jerry has a number of options on the number of cameras, DVR (rear view mirror or remote unit), extra displays, tire pressure monitoring, GPS positioning, 24 hour surveillance, etc. Best to pay him a visit and see what options works best for you. With 60% of accidents in HK reportedly to be side impact events, a typical black vue with front and rear cameras won't capture the event. He does first class work and stands behind all his installations. Having watched him work on several cars I have seen Jerry and his technicians take the extra care to do all their installations correctly.

Say you know Cindy, Sunny, John, Lincoln or myself (Bill) and he will know you are part of the local Tesla group and should give you a better price. Due to the range of options available there isn't one standard price.

Hi EBill,

Awesome - thanks so much for the great info and photos! My 70D won't arrive for another 2 months or so so I will ring Jerry a bit later but great to have this info on hand... I like to plan ahead as much as possible!:biggrin:

Do you think your setup with the DVR will work for what I'm after - mainly for surveillance when my car is parked?... I'd like it to record video whenever it detects motion to catch door dingers/vandals in the act. I'd also like to use it to see if anyone tries messing around with the charger connector while my car is charging, especially at my private parking stall. Those 2 cams at each side mirror seem really good for that but of course the system has to have motion detection and such a feature to record whenever motion is detected.

I'm really wondering what the recording options are like with the motion detector. How is the user interface and configuration - easy to use or difficult or complicated? Have you had any hardware or software issues with the system?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Cheers,
Derek

It does not have motion detectors however none are needed for this solution. It is on 24 hours which effectively acts as car surveillance as well as the parking lot. I haven't turned it off in months except to change SD cards.

A motion detector could be wired up, but the latency between the motion being detected and the start of recording may miss the critical events. Hence my decision to keep it always on.
I've been gone for over a week and the marginal additional draw that I estimate is about 5km. For a 128gb card I get almost two days of recording at the highest definition level. For lower definitions longer recording times are possible.

User interface is easy. Videos can be reviewed and edited on almost any PC.