Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Average M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post but been keeping up with everyone here and have learned a lot from the members. I have seen a lot of discussion on optional equipment for M3 which mostly is inline with MS options with slight variations in price. What I haven't seen is a discussion of standard equipment for M3. The following is a list of standard equipment on the MS that I think will be optional on the $35k M3. I call it the technology and luxury package:

Power seats $1000
Heated seats $500
Bluetooth $250
Backup camera and sensors $500
Auto dimming mirrors inside and out $500
Navigation and Internet $1500
LED interior $250
Garage door opener $250
Auto on/off LED headlights $750
Keyless entry/start $500
HUD $500
That's $6500 over the base for a total of $41,500.
Is this the average $42000 M3 EM is talking about?

Power seats - idk maybe?
Heated seats - i think it will come standard. I havent had a new car in a while but I heard its standard in many affodrabl cars (front seats) the rear seats will for sure be an upgrade in the winter package.
Bluetooth - no way they will charge for it. Slack comes standard if they charge for bluetooth, not many will get it.
Back up camera - to be standard in all new vehicles starting 2017
Auto dimming mirrors - maybe part of tech or premium package not sold separately.
Nav and internet - I dont know.. maybe Tesla will offer free of charge like S or 2 yrs or so.
LED interior - will be part of premium package.
Homelink - either standard (is it standard on S?) or part of tech package.
Auto on/off - will probably standard like many cheaper cars like civic.
Keyless entry start - no way theere will be a cost to it. more expssive to put it in than not doing it.
HUD - may be an option

Tesla wants to make this car simple... to manufacture all lthese breakdown of options wont be done.. they will bundle most ofthese up in one package or two for simplicity. I think the 42k average comes from either bigger battery or dual motor with AP.

Also, I swear to God I saw someone post a pic of holding a survey at the Model 3 reveal event given by Tesla.. they might have pulled 42k from the most popular options from the survey..since Tesla has a rough idea of what each option will cost..

Reactions: voip-ninja
Power seats - idk maybe?
Heated seats - i think it will come standard. I havent had a new car in a while but I heard its standard in many affodrabl cars (front seats) the rear seats will for sure be an upgrade in the winter package.
Bluetooth - no way they will charge for it. Slack comes standard if they charge for bluetooth, not many will get it.
Back up camera - to be standard in all new vehicles starting 2017
Auto dimming mirrors - maybe part of tech or premium package not sold separately.
Nav and internet - I dont know.. maybe Tesla will offer free of charge like S or 2 yrs or so.
LED interior - will be part of premium package.
Homelink - either standard (is it standard on S?) or part of tech package.
Auto on/off - will probably standard like many cheaper cars like civic.
Keyless entry start - no way theere will be a cost to it. more expssive to put it in than not doing it.
HUD - may be an option

Tesla wants to make this car simple... to manufacture all lthese breakdown of options wont be done.. they will bundle most ofthese up in one package or two for simplicity. I think the 42k average comes from either bigger battery or dual motor with AP.

Also, I swear to God I saw someone post a pic of holding a survey at the Model 3 reveal event given by Tesla.. they might have pulled 42k from the most popular options from the survey..since Tesla has a rough idea of what each option will cost..
I really was not thinking that these will be individual option but rather as part of one or two packages.

The HUD will save Tesla a lot of money (and production time) by replacing the instrument cluster. I think it will be standard and will be integrated into the S & X. Same with "key-less entry" IMO. Elon has stated that you will not be able to buy a better car at the same price. Therefore I think a lot of options other companies give you will likely be standard... And the options you can't get from other manufacturers (dual motors, Insane/Ludicrous Mode, Bio-hazard, Supercharging, Sub Zero) will be options. Regular upgrade options may also include Rims and Colour options. IMO

Reactions: garsh
I think there's a misconception that the "average" Model 3 price means that there is a set of options that will equate to exactly $42K -- and that's what Elon expects people to buy.

Average (of course) means that you take all the Model 3s sold, add up the total dollar amount and divide that by the number of sales.

So, Elon's figure is more like: X% will buy the base model. X% will get AWD. X% will upgrade the battery. X% will opt for ludicrous mode. etc.

He's likely basing his numbers off their Model S sales experience and adjusting from there.

A better question for Elon would be what he expects the median price of the Model 3 -- which is how people seem to be interpreting his comment. Median is the middle number in a list.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlitoDoc
OP - everything you listed as an extra cost option is something I will not get if I have to pay extra for it.

I don't want a HUD. I want a standard instrument cluster like the Model S, plus the big touch screen.

I want the base radio to be able to receive Sirius Satellite Radio, or at least have a jack with which to plug in a Sirius receiver.

Other than that, the big battery is the only option on my list.

$1000 for power seats - SERIOUSLY? Don't most cars today come with at least a power drivers seat, except for economy cars? I would rather adjust my seat manually than pay $1000 for it. And I don't care about the rest of the seats in the car, as I will not be sitting in them hardly ever.

Nope, this looks more like the "options" list for a Kia. Sorry OP, you're way off.
I wouldn't compare the standard equipment list for M3 to a Kia or other Asian brands which give you great value. I would compare to more premium brands such as BMW. Check out the standard and option list for 320i which lists for $35k. If you guys think we get all standard equipment of a MS at half the price, I hope you are right because I'm getting two!