Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Average M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said it would be the best car you could buy for $35k. Not including Bluetooth or a backup camera (which is mandatory of new 2018 vehicles) would not be the best $35k vehicle. It would just have the best drivetrain.
I thought the back up camera is standard by 2017?
I think I missed it but when did he say it will be the best vehicle one could buy for 35k? I know Elon said even at base model it will be a compelling car.

Does that mean all standard equipment for M3 will be equal to MS?
I wouldn't interpret it that way. I'd interpret it to mean, more generally, that the Model 3 will have more value per dollar compared to any other car you will be able to buy when it goes on sale. A lot of this value will come from standard features which will be as good as or better than those found on other cars.

Does that mean all standard equipment for M3 will be equal to MS?
I guess the real question is what will be standard and what will be optional, not whether we would be willing to pay for them.

Pretty Much.
It is going to take time for most of the old timers to get the idea that the Model 3 is essentially replacing the Model S. Tesla's budget car will be the model 2, which comes after 2020.

Tesla originally said that the model 3 was a steel budget car. That is obviously not what Tesla revealed. But few who paid $100K for the MS want to see the obvious.

I sure some original Roadster owners clung to the idea of the superiority of their very expensive tiny car.

I dont think the interior quality will be up to BMW level and features will be missing too (I guess it cant offer every sinlgle feature available from every single car) just like Model S isnt comparable (according to some owners) to BMW 5 series or whatever

I agree. $60,000 BMW 5 has an interior that puts the model S to shame. From the pictures at the reveal that disparity in internal craftsmanship won't be changing with the Model 3.

I think that to simplify production a lot of features will be in the cars as they roll off and activated by software upgrades. I could see that with not only things like supercharging but things like comfort access and seat warmers too.

EM might say that the M3 will be the best $35,000 car you can buy but that doesn't make it true. EM is a salesman and his job is to sell you on the car.

Having said that I think that the car will offer a few innovative features at its price point and certainly Tesla won't be nickel and diming over $15 features like BT.

Expect option packages for things like upgraded interior, sub zero winter pkg or AWD and a few expensive add ons like adaptive headlights or auto pilot.

Getting the car with premium interior and a better battery might be enough to get it to an average $42,000 selling price.

Even Kias have standard Bluetooth these days. Not a chance that isn't a standard feature on a $35k car.
While I agree it will come standard, there are a few features that are standard on cheap cars that Model S doesnt offer (or didnt offer until recently (4th yr into production). Namely, coat hanger (do expensive cars not have them? sorry I've never driven cars more expensive than 25k USD ish) and cup holders etc..

I think we can all agree that Tesla must aim for that "best car" status for the Model 3 if they want to stay in business. There is a lot of really good and well-established competition in the segment they are specifically targeting. The competition has a good set of standard features, so bar is pretty high already. You can get a feel for what Tesla would need to deliver by comparing expected features for the price range. Tesla can afford to leave out features, but on balance what they can provide needs to meet or exceed other offerings for the price.

Since the Model S does not have a remarkable set of features compared to most luxury cars in its price range, it's questionable how the Model 3 would win over the larger market share of BMW, Audi and Mercedes customers.

Since the Model S does not have a remarkable set of features compared to most luxury cars in its price range, it's questionable how the Model 3 would win over the larger market share of BMW, Audi and Mercedes customers.
How does the BMW, Audi, and Mercedes feature set compare with:

- ~90MPG / with 5.X second 0-60
- Top end acceleration comparable to $500K supercars
- Drive coast-to-coast (possibly for "free")
- Never stopping at a gas station again
- Autopilot / Collision Avoidance / Summon / Mobile App
- Over-the-air updates for any hardware-present feature
- No 5K mile routine maintenance
- 8-year unlimited mile drivetrain warranty
- 5-star safety rating across the board (planned but not yet achieved)
- More interior space than any car its size
- More storage space than any car its size

Comparing interior build quality, as in "the seats and leather in a BMW exceeds a Tesla", is utterly missing the forest for the trees.

I'm an Audi A4 owner and a reservation holder.

I'm assuming the other ~370K reservation holders aren't all first-time car buyers, so it's possible some of them are also current BMW/Audi/Mercedes owners.