Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Average M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the BMW, Audi, and Mercedes feature set compare with:

- ~90MPG / with 5.X second 0-60
- Top end acceleration comparable to $500K supercars
- Drive coast-to-coast (possibly for "free")
- Never stopping at a gas station again
- Autopilot / Collision Avoidance / Summon / Mobile App
- Over-the-air updates for any hardware-present feature
- No 5K mile routine maintenance
- 8-year unlimited mile drivetrain warranty
- 5-star safety rating across the board (planned but not yet achieved)
- More interior space than any car its size
- More storage space than any car its size

Comparing interior build quality, as in "the seats and leather in a BMW exceeds a Tesla", is utterly missing the forest for the trees.

I'm an Audi A4 owner and a reservation holder.

I'm assuming the other ~370K reservation holders aren't all first-time car buyers, so it's possible some of them are also current BMW/Audi/Mercedes owners.
Those features are not really compelling enough. A couple of comments:
You're not getting 90MPG while accelerating, and that driving cost over vehicle life is embedded into the price premium
The $500K supercar owner is not buying the car for silly 0-60 times, but rather for actual driving performance which can't be matched due to EV tech capability. That's why they need to make hybrids.
Driving coast to coast forces long stops at specific stations which are completely unnecessary with a gas fueled car.
Autopilot, collision avoidance, summon, mobile app are all gimmicks at this point.
The over-the-air updates are going to be short term and of limited utility, just like with cellphone obsolescence.
What car needs 5K miles routine maintenance? Is 15K on my BMW.
The warranty, safety rating and available space I would agree with - although I'd sacrifice space to reduce the bubble look.

Since the Model S does not have a remarkable set of features compared to most luxury cars in its price range, it's questionable how the Model 3 would win over the larger market share of BMW, Audi and Mercedes customers.
Tesla may be missing 'remarkable' features, but then again, its debatable what is remarkable features. For me, its safety. I havent been in a car accident, but knowing that it will be one of the safest cars in the world will make me choose Tesla over any other cars any day. You can make more money, you cant bring back life. Even injuries avoided can save ppl a lot of money.

Plus Tesla offers OTA updates. Other cars don't. I have never seen anyone even on the forum factor this in as a potential savings in money. You are not getting any money back, but you are given features for free which in other cars, you will have to buy as options or buy a new car to have them.

I agree that BMW and MB interiors are all nice what not, but.. how many people actually NEED those features? what you need really is some comfy seats and performance that matches competitors in its segment.

Maybe I am just grateful for Model 3 coming from a 2007 yaris :p

The $500K supercar owner is not buying the car for silly 0-60 times, but rather for actual driving performance which can't be matched due to EV tech capability. That's why they need to make hybrids.

Do they? maybe they do.. I am just not sure.. because most of the supercars I see in the city.. they dont even get to race or drive fast enough to take advantage of the performance.. but what do I know.

Driving coast to coast forces long stops at specific stations which are completely unnecessary with a gas fueled car.

Forces long stops? maybe. Completely unncessarily with a gas fueled car? I dont think so. If you are doing coast to coast, you will have to stop at one point to eat, go to the bathroom and just to stretch your legs etc. I agree that it takes longer to travel in EV than gas car, but not by a huge margin and superchargers are being upgraded to charge faster. So this will become less of an issue.

Autopilot, collision avoidance, summon, mobile app are all gimmicks at this point.

AP is beta but I dont know if its a gimmick. People seem to love it and actually find it useful as it lessens fatigue over a long haul trip and stuff. and other stuff to... at what point are they not gimmicks and become more of a thing?

How does the BMW, Audi, and Mercedes feature set compare with:

- ~90MPG / with 5.X second 0-60

Yes, the comparable fuel economy is good but electricity prices will also keep going up over time. Also, most entry level luxury sedans have comparable acceleration.
- Top end acceleration comparable to $500K supercars
You'd have to describe this in more detail, because AFAIK, they have shown nothing to indicate this will be the case.
- Drive coast-to-coast (possibly for "free")
Sure, stopping every 2.5 hours when cruising at interstate speeds and spending 30 minutes "fueling up" at a SC station, not to mention your having to plan your entire route based on availability of said SC stations is going to be a huge draw. /sarc.
- Never stopping at a gas station again
See above.
- Autopilot / Collision Avoidance / Summon / Mobile App
Yes, this is one area where Tesla should be able to completely out-class the competition.
- Over-the-air updates for any hardware-present feature
Yes, Tesla, to date, have demonstrated a willingness to do this, we'll see if that holds when they are supporting millions of cars.
- No 5K mile routine maintenance
My BMW needs servicing every 12 months or 10K miles and for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles it is fully included. They also provide a high quality loaner vehicle while they are servicing the car and at no cost to me. While Tesla has waffled back and forth, they recommend the $565 annual service on their cars which actually makes them kind of pricy compared to the German cars, at least over the first 5 years.
- 8-year unlimited mile drivetrain warranty
I'd have to look this up, I didn't think it covered the electric motors. Lots of S owners have had multiple motor failures and some have had to have their cars flat-bedded after a failure. The cost, after warranty, if this happens will be enormous, as I believe it's something like $12,000 to replace one of the drive motors.
- 5-star safety rating across the board (planned but not yet achieved)
Similar to most other cars in entry luxury segment.
- More interior space than any car its size
We will see. Three adults still can't fit comfortably in the back, which is more important to me than maximum headroom... but I don't want a car as large as the Model S.
- More storage space than any car its size
The space is less useable because of intrusion in both the trunk and frunk due to electric motor intrusion into the space... also odd sizes of the openings. I can fit two massive steamer chests side by side in my 3 series... where-as I'm skeptical if you can even get a golf bag in the frunk of the Model 3.

Comparing interior build quality, as in "the seats and leather in a BMW exceeds a Tesla", is utterly missing the forest for the trees.
. I have a news flash for you. 99% of all the time you spend "with your car" is sitting in the cockpit. The current Model S leaves a lot to be desired in this area, as the fit, finish, amenities, etc, are so sub-par compared to the Germans it isn't even funny. Model S didn't even have basic things like map pockets and cup holders until recently.... and not everyone wants to have to interface with a non-haptic touchscreen to do basic things like change volume, cabin temp, etc.

I'm an Audi A4 owner and a reservation holder.

And I'm a 3 series owner and a reservation holder because I would prefer my next automobile to be greener, cheaper to own long term and more reliable with fewer headaches than the cars I currently like. We'll have to see how many boxes Tesla can actually tick on my list when the Model 3 is actually out.

I'm assuming the other ~370K reservation holders aren't all first-time car buyers, so it's possible some of them are also current BMW/Audi/Mercedes owners.

You seem to be under-estimating the draw of the entry level price plus the huge tax breaks many are anticipating getting. A lot of people are salivating at the thought of buying a $35,000 "luxury" car that will, after tax breaks, be less than $25,000. People like me who expect to spend more like $55,000-$65,000 before any breaks (and I don't assume I will get them either by the time my order is filled) will hold Tesla to a much higher bar.

You are also under-estimating the "green" factor of Tesla. There are people who will choose a Tesla or similar product over other products for no other reason than that they think they are saving the world by driving an EV instead of an ICE vehicle. In CA in particular there seem to be a lot of eco warriors driving Tesla cars for no other reason than green bragging rights.

Reactions: jkk_ and ZAKEEUS
MS owners don't seem to care about the subpar interior quality, reduced features, and the additional headaches that come with owning a car company that is only a few years old. After all MS outsells all the big sedans in US. It is more about prestige, being unique, and being green. In California also carpool lane access!
Unfortunately, I don't think the ownership experience is going to be 5 star like Lexus but having owned German cars with the exception of getting a "free" rental, it should be comparable.

Hmm, wondering if I'm the only one looking at this list and thinking if they were all stand alone options (which I definitely don't think they would be), I'd be selecting exactly zero of these. Not to say I'd be getting a base model, just none of these are features i find particularly compelling.

I want a standard instrument cluster like the Model S, plus the big touch screen
Then you aren't going to want to buy a Model 3, because it is very clear from the Model 3 reveal that there will not be a "standard instrument cluster like the Model S". There will definitely be a center display as shown on the prototype cars. And Elon tweeted there will be something else that he described as "like a spaceship", whatever that means.
You actually want that screen? That thing has to go.
I am not clear on what you are referring to.

Sure, stopping every 2.5 hours when cruising at interstate speeds and spending 30 minutes "fueling up" at a SC station, not to mention your having to plan your entire route based on availability of said SC stations is going to be a huge draw. /sarc.

Most people are stoked about free superchargers. Seriously, everyone who asks about my Model S, or asks me about Model 3 because I have an S sees this as a major selling point. Dropped off my car to be repaired because I got rear ended. The guys at the body shop mentioned them. The rental car guy who picked me up from the body shop mentioned them. The guy at the rental desk mentioned them. Everyone (who stopped and gauked) I met at the supercharger stations on my 7k mile roadtrip loved the idea.

I'd have to look this up, I didn't think it covered the electric motors. Lots of S owners have had multiple motor failures and some have had to have their cars flat-bedded after a failure. The cost, after warranty, if this happens will be enormous, as I believe it's something like $12,000 to replace one of the drive motors.

8 yr unlimited mile battery and drivetrain warranty. That includes the motors. And electric motor will certainly be cheaper to replace than an internal combustion engine. Not sure where this 12k for a motor is from. Takes <2hrs to replace entire drive unit, which includes motor, reduction gear/differential, and inverter/rectifier (it drops out as one piece with a few bolts)

The space is less useable because of intrusion in both the trunk and frunk due to electric motor intrusion into the space... also odd sizes of the openings. I can fit two massive steamer chests side by side in my 3 series... where-as I'm skeptical if you can even get a golf bag in the frunk of the Model 3.

I guarantee you can't fit a golf bag into the frunk of your 3 series due to ICE intrusion into the space. Electric motor is the size of watermellon, and sits between the rear wheels. If anything the 3 series is the vehicle with the engine related interior intrusion.

and not everyone wants to have to interface with a non-haptic touchscreen to do basic things like change volume, cabin temp, etc.

Then use the steering wheel controls? That's what I do. Much easier.

Homelink - either standard (is it standard on S?) or part of tech package.

Have Homelink built-in to the sun visor on the Jag. Died after ~6 years. $350 to replace. Uh, no thanks. A remote control from Home Depot is only $19. :)

$1000 for power seats - SERIOUSLY? Don't most cars today come with at least a power drivers seat, except for economy cars? I would rather adjust my seat manually than pay $1000 for it.

Personally, I always prefer a manual seat -- fewer motors/working parts, less weight, and less things to break!

Reactions: jkk_