Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Bandit vs Slipstream Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the bandit and had to remove for it would never work with trimmed back, highly recommended grill mesh inserts

Cut and install these (amazing Tesla internals, protection)
1693187674303.png

Then is this mount for the plate, rhe best
Bandit is not strong enough
1693187611367.png

Since the tape stayed on the car but not the bracket, I assume that Tesla cleaned the car properly but the bracket/tape was somehow defective? It came off while parked on a hot day in Boston so not sure if hot weather makes the tape fail. Luckily since I was parked I was able to grab the plate, and also I was happy that the tape didn't damage the finish of my car, I was able to pull it right off. Glad it idd not happen while driving.
I would say plate holder was defective if the tape came off on that side (probably during manufacturing, tape was applied when bracket not fully clean or it was applied in colder temperatures than called for). I had to take off plateholder and the adhesive that is stuck to bracket isn't going anywhere (whether from car side or on the bracket side). Had to use a hair dryer to soften the adhesive and use a plastic tool to separate the holder from the car. Basically heat can soften VHB (the tape used), but it shouldn't make the bond fail if it was properly applied.

As a note related to this thread, the solution I used was a hybrid between the following (similar to the Etsy solutions) and some of the brackets here that puts the plateholder in the OEM position. I prefer the OEM position, given it doesn't block the airflow.

The part inside the vent is the same (carriage bolt head, then washer which can be pushed in through the slot as per video), except I added a washer and nuts on the outside of vent also to clamp it, since I can't rely on plateholder pressing on the bumper. I used corner braces in the bottom of the OEM plate holder for the bolts to go through. Basically drilled holes on the bottom of the plastic plate holder for the corner braces (used machine screw and nuts to secure), then widened the existing holes in the brace so that 1/4" carriage bolt can fit through (used 4 carriage bolts total).
Everbilt 1-1/2 in. Black Corner Brace (4-Pack) 20287 - The Home Depot