Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Bandit vs Slipstream Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the best I have on my phone right now, hope it helps!
QMLGvOe.jpg
Which model did you ordered? The universal?

I have used this, but only to get out of a fixit ticket and then took it off

Just so people know, this one is just some screws. You actually drill into the black front plate that comes with the car and these screws then attach that holder to the grille of the vehicle. Worked great for me to get out of a $200 ticket but I was going to be taking it off the next day and preferred the $7 over the bandit

FYI my $5+shipping solution: https://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Accessories-78410-Suction-Accessory/dp/B00032KBEA

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 11.40.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 11.39.43 AM.png

I only put it on "as needed". Obviously it needs cleaning though, ug. Yeah, I've gotten a warning once when I didn't have it on. Right now it is just stowed in the trunk because my wrap is still settling. I've been told by someone else that uses them that it'll be fine used on PPF, that I had added overtop on the front bumper.

I think you can see in the picture that I warped the plate vertically to match the curve of the bumper. You do need to be careful not to mount it up too high or it'll interfere with the radar.

Alternatively I've been told you can get two sets, drill 6 holes into the factory mount, and use the suction cups to mount the factor plate holder. I much prefer this "floating overtop, matching the curve of the car" look, though. It isn't as good as not having it there at all but I find it close.

P.S. Yeah, that's "fancy" duct tape on the edge. I replaced the license protector on the rear with it, too. I liked the look on my OBM. I'll be changing that to some sort of satin/matt black trim not that I've wrapped.

My Bandit bit the dust today....ppf installer said there was difficulty in removing the bolts, which caused the inner threaded sleeve to come out of one of the brackets. Tried to get the sleeve back in using Edd China's nut and bolt trick, which worked.....but now it doesn't tighten, because the inner sleeve starts to come out again - bolt just spins. Possibly not meant for repeated removal and installation ? Will be looking for another brand of bracket now.

FYI, Craig has been backordered on the universal bracket now for quite some time. He emailed me last week indicating he thought they'd be in that week but still nada.

He mentioned that the 18-19 Mustang bracket is very similar to the universal bracket with the only difference being the mounting base shape so I'm wondering if anyone has tried that one.

Just ordered the Bandit - I had my car detailed with SunTek PPF and Ceramic Pro so the stock plate holder won’t stick very well... I looked at a few and this one seemed the easiest to install and keep clean. Once I receive and install I will post my thoughts on it.

Hi All,

I’ve read through a lot of the previous discussions on the whole “front license plate solution”..just wanted to hear it out on these two top runners IMO:

The Bandit (v2.0)
https://www.1975creations.com/product-page/tesla-model-3-front-license-plate-bracket

Slipstream
ThatGrin.com | Slipstream Bracket No Drilling Front License Plate Mounting Solution for Tesla Model 3

Any feedback on those who have either? Thanks!

Just ordered the Bandit - I had my car detailed with SunTek PPF and Ceramic Pro so the stock plate holder won’t stick very well... I looked at a few and this one seemed the easiest to install and keep clean. Once I receive and install I will post my thoughts on it.

I have PPF and ceramic. The 3m on the plate holder should stick. I had the bandit...one thing I didn’t like is how far out it stuck out. There was also an issue with the mounting hardware seizing up...but he has fixed that problem. I switched to the magnetic OttoSteer and like that one a lot more. My unused replacement bandit is just sitting on the shelf now lol.

Initially installed one of the holders that clips onto grill. Very well made, but clearly -- as someone already described -- any solid bump will not only crack the grill, but looks like the mounting bolts could be driven into the metal work. Personally think the one that came with the car looks better than any on this thread. Only no-plate looks better.

Initially installed one of the holders that clips onto grill. Very well made, but clearly -- as someone already described -- any solid bump will not only crack the grill, but looks like the mounting bolts could be driven into the metal work. Personally think the one that came with the car looks better than any on this thread. Only no-plate looks better.

This is why I like the magnetic OttoSteer. It looks like the factory holder but easily removable if you don’t want to run a plate for whatever reason.

I have PPF and ceramic. The 3m on the plate holder should stick. I had the bandit...one thing I didn’t like is how far out it stuck out. There was also an issue with the mounting hardware seizing up...but he has fixed that problem. I switched to the magnetic OttoSteer and like that one a lot more. My unused replacement bandit is just sitting on the shelf now lol.

I haven’t received it yet, but I like that I can clean behind it... we have some nasty salt/slush during the winter months... I typically park far away from other cars... so, hopefully the extra distance that the plate protrudes, won’t be an issue.

Keep an eye on your bandit plate holders. Happened to look at my replacement one that was sent after the nuts/bolts seized. This was NEVER installed and was just sitting on the shelf...and I noticed the mounting bracket was broken.

03FBBD1F-69DA-4B70-B9AE-A35BAB7251CA.jpeg
156E5223-4AF7-47B6-9EC1-A203DCFA8CD8.jpeg

Last edited:

I’m very happy with mine. The only modification I did was purchase longer screws so I could add a smoked cover over my plate.

I’m wondering how the Bandit / Slipstream or Snapplate hold up in cold weather and snow? Say like 0 degree with lots of snow. I imagine the plastic gets brittle. Does anyone have experience with them in that kind of weather?

I’m wondering how the Bandit / Slipstream or Snapplate hold up in cold weather and snow? Say like 0 degree with lots of snow. I imagine the plastic gets brittle. Does anyone have experience with them in that kind of weather?

I didn’t have any issues with my bandit last winter. I’m currently running the magnetic OttoStick.