Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Car Can't Find Phone via Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The phone key is working, and walkaway locking works, but when I try to connect to my Galaxy J7 phone it fails.

I go to the Calendar app, and it says no phone is connected. I chose to add a phone and click Search. It never finds it. I have bluetooth on.

Any idea as to why?

Also, when I click the Music icon, nothing happens.

Does making calls and answering calls, hands-free, work?
What happens if you play music from the phone? Do you hear it through the car's speakers?

If so, then your phone is already connected via Bluetooth.

If this is the case, then the issue with your calendar is probably related to something other than bluetooth. I'm unfortunately not very well versed in Android-based phones, so I can't offer much help on how to make your calendar available to your car, but hopefully someone will be along shortly who knows Android well

The phone key is working, and walkaway locking works, but when I try to connect to my Galaxy J7 phone it fails.

I go to the Calendar app, and it says no phone is connected. I chose to add a phone and click Search. It never finds it. I have bluetooth on.

Any idea as to why?

As a FYI, there are two kinds of bluetooth that the car is connecting to. One is a low power bluetooth for "phone as key". the other is the regular bluetooth you are used to, for bluetooth for phone calls, media (if the phone supports bluetooth media streaming) etc.

If you want to troubleshoot this, first, ignore things like calendar app connection. Forget the connection to the phone from the car (go into the cars bluetooth interface, and forget the connection) AND forget the connection to the car, from the phone. On the phone, ensure you are forgetting just the tesla connection, and dont toucvh the 3-4 "strange" bluetooth connections you see that have a bunch of numbers and letters.

After forgetting the connection from the car, and the phone, connect bluetooth again. After connecting via bluetooth, inspect your bluetooth connection and ensure that you turn on notifications, or any settings for the bluetooth connection to the car (been a while since I looked at an android phone connected to a car to see what those menus look like).

After that, ensure that you can make a phone call via bluetooth, and that media streaming works via bluetooth.

After you ensure THAT works, you can check your calendar. If that doesnt work, then you know for a fact that it is settings with your calendar / sharing.

Basically, same thing that @LakeForestM3 said, with a lot more words, and some step by step instructions.

Any idea as to why?

When you try to add a phone, do you just have your phone's Bluetooth on or did you try to add a device on your phone? Both the car and your phone needs to be in pairing mode. Go into your phone's BT setting by holding your BT icon. You need to select Pair a new device and then do the same with your car's. Once you have paired. You need to go into your car's and your phone BT settings to enable everything including Calendar and Message.

Forget the connection to the phone from the car (go into the cars bluetooth interface, and forget the connection) AND forget the connection to the car, from the phone.

I lost bluetooth connection with my phone to the car. I was able to connect to other devices without issue. My wife's phone connected to me and the M3 without issue. The only things unable to connect were my phone to my car. My connection showed on the M3 but couldn't connect. I could still unlock and control things via my phone, but not listen to media or make phone calls etc. I rebooted both phone and M3, reset networking on the phone. Nothing seemed to get it going. I was hesitant to "forget" my phone on the M3 thinking I would make things worse. But after running out of things to try I finally opted to forget my phone. After doing that, things connected back up within seconds. All back to normal.

Thanks!