Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The car is definitely drunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was testing the Navigate on Autopilot this morning, and I don't know guys, I think while I was sleep last night, the car went out drinking. It swerves A LOT and can't keep a straight line. Sometimes, even when the next lane is completely clear, and I engage the turn signal, it pretends like it's going to change lane, but then it doesn't. It does that about 3 times before giving up. Or, when there's a car next to me, maybe about 40 feet back, it slows down significantly and then suddenly cuts in front of them. It's just a really bad driver, and I almost crapped my pants while letting this thing drive me to work this morning.

Is anyone else experiencing these?

Elon Musk said they need another 10 million miles worth of data before letting the car drive on its own, but I definitely think they need at least another 50 million.

Interesting. My experience has been different. In general, it has been very impressive with merging to and from highway on-ramps, and even at changing lanes after confirmation. However, I have seen some problems which are roughly in line with what I expected:

1) At one exit yesterday, it seemed like it was going to take the wrong exit (despite the nav saying to take the next one which was a few hundred feet ahead), so I took over.
2) In one case it suggested a lane change "to follow the route" which was totally unnecessary (it would've had to move back)
3) In two places this morning it suggested a completely unnecessary lane change which was on-path but way way premature (e.g. 6 or 7 miles before the exit, in moderate traffic). The main occurrence I remember was on the 520 bridge, and it gave up on the suggestion after the bridge.
4) When approaching my exit toward home yesterday, it gave an "unsupported maneuver" message so I took over so that it wouldn't miss my exit.

Some other observations that aren't necessarily problems:
- This morning in two places it recognized that there was construction (on the shoulder and off the side of the road) and displayed a message about this. Neat. It still functioned normally taking the correct exit just after this.
- Sometimes it suggests lane changes to pass on the right which I know aren't a great idea due to large amounts of merging traffic coming onto the highway up ahead. Not sure how to deal with that though.

Overall, I've found it impressive but obviously with work still to be done.

If I'm in the right lane, it completely ignores that fact that the lines on the left are there and tries to find the lines on the right when there's an off ramp. I swear I'm going to get pulled over, the cop thinking I'm DUI. I'm having a better time with lane changes, however I have noticed the car starting to slow down at times before changing lanes which is odd. Occasionally it'll break check after doing the lane change as well. Yes, I do bug reports on these. I'm tempted to change my cars name from Persephone to Asshole though.

The additional door bell tones are a bit frustrating, however the MS 90D did it's best yesterday in heavy traffic on the 57 and 91. I did clean the lenses and glass before driving to give the Tesla the best images to work with. As with every new version, learning the driving tricks of 42.2 will take time getting familiar with it's new capabilities. Having the Tesla automatically exit the freeway when in the right lane is a treat.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
If I'm in the right lane, it completely ignores that fact that the lines on the left are there and tries to find the lines on the right when there's an off ramp. I swear I'm going to get pulled over, the cop thinking I'm DUI. I'm having a better time with lane changes, however I have noticed the car starting to slow down at times before changing lanes which is odd. Occasionally it'll break check after doing the lane change as well. Yes, I do bug reports on these. I'm tempted to change my cars name from Persephone to Asshole though.

Lol. I got pulled over because the car signaled and turned half way into the left lane then decided to cancel & moved back. Few seconds later, it did the same thing again. I just got a warning not a ticket for that.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will and Hank42
Same issues with my cars. It changes lanes like a very old, can't hardly see out the window driver.

Navigate on AP is like using the Handicap button at Nordstrom's to open the door except that works 100% of the time. With AP it seems like it will change lanes but often gives up. I was almost rear ended multiple times. Many drivers were upset because of how the Model 3 make lane changes. It does it slower than the speed of traffic and doesn't accelerate until it's fully centered in the next lane.

I guess this feature is nice if you're old and scared to make lane changes. I will keep this feature off and make my own lane changes. I always take off AP and change lanes myself since auto lane change never works the way I like it.

Reactions: Hank42
Same issues with my cars. It changes lanes like a very old, can't hardly see out the window driver.

Navigate on AP is like using the Handicap button at Nordstrom's to open the door except that works 100% of the time. With AP it seems like it will change lanes but often gives up. I was almost rear ended multiple times. Many drivers were upset because of how the Model 3 make lane changes. It does it slower than the speed of traffic and doesn't accelerate until it's fully centered in the next lane.

I guess this feature is nice if you're old and scared to make lane changes. I will keep this feature off and make my own lane changes. I always take off AP and change lanes myself since auto lane change never works the way I like it.

If it does change the lane, hitting the acceleration pedal will help. It also helps the car move in to the new lane faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
I'm tempted to change my cars name from Persephone to Asshole though.

My thoughts exactly.

Having the same experiences here as well. Lane changes - partially into a lane and then back, multiple times today. The worst one was when I it asked to move into the right lane. There was a Truck in that lane back far enough back where I had room to change lanes. Well, it started the lane change, and as it was changing lanes I glanced at the screen to see the Truck doing the glitchy dance - it showed the truck in place and then all of a sudden super close to me - and the car swerved out of the way to avoid the Glitch Truck. The truck was just back there minding it's own business.

I understand how exceptionally difficult all this must be (or maybe I don't), but it seems like we have a long way to go towards FSD. But simple things weren't happening today, like others have said: there's room to change lanes, plenty of room in front, you don't 'slow down' you just go and speed up slightly. Or in LA traffic, when you have an opening you just go, you don't slow down to let the car that's a cars length behind you in an adjacent lane pass you, so that then you can change lanes, because there's most definitely a car behind that car.

The autosteering needs work still:

1. When on ramps merge onto the highway it gets confused as to just how wide the lane is (if you are in the right lane) and starts to move right. Then has to move back as the lane merges.

2. It likes the center of the lane too much. It should stay more to the left when in the left lane and more to the right when in the right lane (center in center lanes is good). Too many times I feel like a semi truck is about to run over me since they hug/kind of cross the center line when passing me or I am passing them. Gusts of wind move those things a lot. It would be better if it stayed about 6-12 inches from the shoulder line, giving a lot more space in the center. Maybe auto move over when it senses a vehicle passing/being passed then recenter.

3. As mentioned above it for no reason at all starts a lane change then aborts... Maybe it is a glitch in the road striping or something, but I never see a reason, it just aborts then waits a couple of seconds and tries again.

4. Seems to have a lot of trouble when lanes merge or split. It never seems to quite know what to do.

5. Auto speed limit of +5 only works some times. This is a whole other issue. When going into a town and the speed limit starts to drop it is very bad. If I have it at the speed limit (lets say 75 in a 75 zone) the speed drops to 70, it notes it but does nothing since 75 is 5 MPH over the speed limit. Then it hits the 55 MPH sign, well it decides that 60 is what it should be (+5), but of course it does not change speeds until well past the sign. So you are going 70 in the 55 for a bit. Then it drops to 45 and it is still going 60 and so on. It needs a setting to say stay the speed limit or +-X automatically and it needs to anticipate the speed limit, not drop some seconds after the sign (yes I know GPS is not that precise, but it can just adjust before). Nothing screams speeding ticket like a bright red model 3 speeding through a small town.

Mad Max mode feels like some teenage driver getting onto the freeway for the first time in a drivers ed car.

But well maybe that is the intent?

To my knowledge the mad max setting has no impact on how it drives. It's simply a selection that's under the settings that determine when it will prompt you to pass someone.

So far I can't say if this version is any better or worse than the previous version.

That's a problem because the expectation was it was going to be better.

Now I didn't expect magical rainbows and jellybeans or something crazy. I simply expected it to handle when lanes merge and split to be better. After all it says DRIVE-ON-NAV so why is it not driving on Nav?

The autosteering needs work still:

1. When on ramps merge onto the highway it gets confused as to just how wide the lane is (if you are in the right lane) and starts to move right. Then has to move back as the lane merges.

I have the same problem as this. It did not do this before, as it seemed to stick to the left line for awhile untill the right lane (on ramp) merged. If the hwy has dotted lines till the onramp lane ends, it is not a problem. Very concerning to drivers behind me as they probably think I am drunk, or pulling over.... I am getting a lot of new friends as they pass me and indicate I am number one!!!!!

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. Another huge issue is that the car just doesn't seem to have enough sensors to monitor what goes on behind it. It appears to see what goes on ahead up to a couple hundred feet, but as far as the back goes, it only sees about 10 or 15 feet. That's just not enough for safe driving. If another car is approaching at a high speed next to you, and the Tesla decides to change lanes because it thinks the lane is clear, we're in trouble. Overall, it needs A TON of improvements, before it can be trusted on its own.