Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Oversteers When Making Manual Lane Changes with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While in FSD, I use "minimal lane changes" in "chill mode." When I turn on the blinker to change lanes like I have always done, the Y oversteers while changing lanes and has to correct (swerve back) to line up in new lane. This unwelcome and sometimes unsafe scenerio started with v2023.27.7. Will recalibrating the cameras help? I'm too the point that I now turn off FSD before changing lanes, and then reengage FSD after I manually make the lane change. If I just let FSD make all lane changes, the lane change works fine, but I am the type of driver who desires to authorized any lane change (like before the version change). Love the Y, but swerving lane changes have made driving the beautiful machine a real hassle for me as of late because of the severe oversteer.

Last edited:
What do you mean by oversteer?

Oversteer means when the back of the car loses traction and starts to spin around to the front. Like fishtailing. I find it hard to believe the car is doing that on its own.
Apparently I used the term "oversteer" incorrectly, thanks for clarfying. What happens is that on manually lane changes, the Y moves towards the outside of the new lane too far, and has to turn back radically (swerve) to align in the new lane. This happens consistently no matter how long I leave the blinker on. I've experimented with letting off the blinker earlier, but 9 times out of 10 the swerve occurs. This happens on both right and left lane changes, and just started within the last few weeks.