Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Coil Suspension finally met its match at Hotel Eastlund in Portland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
It's that moment those of us with Coil-Suspension dread. That moment when we realize "Oh, CRAP!!" we might not make it up a ramp.

It happened to me at the Hotel Eastlund in Portland. As I was coming up the ramp I saw the edge with all the black marks of previous victims, and I don't know why I didn't stop. I have no idea what possessed me to continue up it. I pictured myself bottoming out and getting stuck as my mind did the geometry, but I still didn't stop.

I went slow, and of course I heard that dreaded scrap. Not too badly, but enough to know I screwed up.

All because it was $20 cheaper on Hotel Tonight than the hotel next to it.

Now I don't believe I made a mistake in suspension choice because as far as I know the Tesla has the same ground clearance as most cars in its class. It really comes down to Hotel Eastlund having a really poorly designed entrance parking ramp. There is no way any sports car would make it up that thing without scraping. I looked at the ramp and I could see the gouges in it.

Awesome Hotel aside from that issue though so it's kind of unfortunate. If I do stay there again I'll make sure to park on the street and have them bring my car in via the exit which doesn't have that ramp.