Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The demise of the OEMs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But they do now!

I mean, they had to buy the whole powertrain from BYD, but they have a BEV there now

They've had a couple BEVs in China for years plus they try to sell the bZ4xqpwktys there, but it's all just a rounding error. Maybe bz3 will do better or maybe the 5k orders are a PR stunt. I'd like to see BYD and Toyota merge, but neither government would allow it. Toyota has a strong brand in Europe and very strong in Japan, US and ROW. BYD dominates China and has the battery tech, but is very weak or non-existent elsewhere. I don't put a lot of stock in JVs, e.g. look at Toyota's JV with GM at NUMMI or their later deal with Tesla.

Reactions: CarlS
BYD impact discussed by Rob:

Elon didn't want total domination but that is what he is getting.
BYD has always been a lot more seasonal than Tesla. Tesla's price cuts had a huge effect in China, not only offsetting LNY and the subsidy cuts, but actually producing ~13% (~16k units) sequential growth. In fact, China produced all of Q1's sequential growth -- net unit growth ex-China was basically zero despite the huge price cuts.

If BYD changes their 2023 goal of 3.6m EV sales then I'll agree Tesla's price cuts caused too much pain. Until then I'll withhold judgement.

There’s a facet to price cuts that I’m not reading anywhere.

Tesla are announcing to the market “you are now passing parity point”. For anybody watching and considering a brand new car, it simplifies their decision a great deal. They would need rocks in their head to buy a freshly made ICE that will have no resale value. The idea of an orderly transition from ICE to EV is bollocks, imo. Legacy’s demise is going to be sudden.

Corolla sales are plummeting. If we’re seeing the beginnings of the great ICE production crash of the 20s, Tesla’s price cuts deserve some credit.

Reactions: CarlS
Chinese emission standards forcing them to panic sell at huge losses, Tesla's "totally not a price war just aggressively lowering prices to capture market share", high interest rates killing consumers, Chinese EVs going on export in the pacifics, IRA benefiting Tesla in US, European emission standards going up etc. Not gonna be fun next few quarters for OEMs.

Ford Mach-E & F150 not selling that well, high inventory at dealers. I wonder if dealers fail before OEMs - harder to hold stock in a high-interest environment.

7:27 for F150
4:30 for Mach-E

1683102429557.png

1683102496555.png

Ford Mach-E & F150 not selling that well, high inventory at dealers. I wonder if dealers fail before OEMs - harder to hold stock in a high-interest environment.

7:27 for F150
4:30 for Mach-E

View attachment 934089

View attachment 934091

Are the days in inventory based on Q1 production- a time when the factory was shut down for much of the quarter for upgrades, greatly reducing the # produced- and thus using that for "days of inventory" wouldn't be accurate?

Same problem with the -102% margin thing--- no doubt Ford is losing a bunch on each car, but using that quarter specifically to suggest it's typical loss would be like using the Q2 that Shanghai was shutdown for a couple months and suggesting that's typical Tesla results.

Last edited:
Are the days in inventory based on Q1 production- a time when the factory was shut down for much of the quarter for upgrades, greatly reducing the # produced- and thus using that for "days of inventory" wouldn't be accurate?

Same problem with the -102% margin thing--- no doubt Ford is losing a bunch on each car, but using that quarter specifically to suggest it's typical loss would be like using the Q2 that Shanghai was shutdown for a couple months and suggesting that's typical Tesla results.
Dunno. I would have thought that days of inventory was more to do with sales, and it's referring to dealer stock I believe. Running down stock due to low production would seem to make the numbers worse for Ford and especially their dealers.

First time Ford have split out EVs like this as far as I know. We'll see more data in future. Ford's accountants could be doing a number of things to either help or hinder the EV part's figures, depending on how costs are allocated to different entities/cost centres across the 3 parts. Mach-E isn't a new product though, so I would have hoped Ford would be in a better position by now with its EVs.

I do think Tesla is way ahead at controlling costs, partly due to less overhead per decision made.

House of cards developing for USA OEMs.

There will always be new Luddites. They eventually evaporate.

I honestly think this hurts the UAW more than Biden. With EVs, the labor force for building cars is dwindling. That makes the UAW less and less relevant every passing year. That horse has left the barn and is not coming back.

Good riddance, the UAW is a cancer on this country and is the primary reason for the downfall of the auto industry here (sans Tesla).

I didn't realize just how bad it's been for automakers not named Tesla the past week. Solving the Money Problem sums it up pretty well:

- Toyota CHEATED safety tests (on 4 vehicles)
- Ford -102% EV margins (RIP)
- BYD gave up on FSD
- VW = fooked (can’t figure out software)
- China ICE market IMPLODING
- Lucid = fooked (money furnace & can’t sell vehicles)
- Rivian bleeding $

Reactions: CarlS and JusRelax
Hmm, so even after tax incentives kicked in, Mustang Mach E sales seem to be grinding to a halt.

US sales: 998 in March
Production in March: 7,381

I just looked and there are 53 Mach Es on the lot within 50 miles of where I live, over 6300 in the nation in inventory.

It’s actually a pretty great car. I’m surprised it’s not selling better than that. Sadly it doesn’t really compare favorably to model Y. Especially at these prices. $65-82k es mucho.

It must really suck trying to compete with tesla.

View attachment 936517

As predicted before the Brexshit referendum ........

Oh dear, Brexshit really has landed, exactly as predicted ......... I can't see any reason why the EU might want to do any renegotiating. So my guess is the UK will try to show a bit of leg on the defence front and wiffle about unity and Ukraine and stuff.

These may interest folk re OEM manouevres and their costs. (and the consequences of Brexshit) ..... and of course it remains to be seen whether £500m will be enough to pull JLR's battery plant to the site near Bristol/Somerset that Tesla rejected