Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Drive attacks Fred Lambert, Electrek

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek works great for me as a news aggregator for anything positive related to Tesla, that's why i at least glance at almost every article they publish. That said, i can also understand some of the criticism. Of course they may be biased towards Tesla, that's why there is a disclaimer about some of the guys owning TSLA stock for example. (see https://electrek.co/about/ ) ...

I don't want to apply or demand "journalistic standards", when it comes to Electrek, since i think it's more of an opinion blog and platform for discussion. That of course limits the things i can legitimately criticize regarding their quality of work. And it's why i find some of Niedermeyers agruments inappropriate. But at the same time this also means, i sometimes dismiss what they wrote, when someone links to an article to make a point or 'to proof' something. You can have it this way or the other way around, but not both. Currently there are only 2 things that are bad when it comes to Electrek. First: They won't allow you to post links, which makes discussions much harder. I get that they probably don't have the manpower to moderate them, but it still sucks. What's worse is, that they are apparently using the Shadowban feature Disqus is offering, which i consider an invention right from hell.

Reactions: NerdUno
... they are apparently using the Shadowban feature Disqus is offering, which i consider an invention right from hell.

Agree that Disqus Shadowban is an invention from hell, but honestly this applies to most any site that uses Disqus.

At the end of the day it must be nigh on impossible for small sites that gain a following to keep up with moderating comments especially against wilful disruptors, which is where shadowban comes in.
I dont like it either, but as I said upthread it's not hard to work out a site/blog's theme/viewpoint and keep in in context with other sites you read on the web. If they deliberately misrepresent their position then that is a different matter but you could hardly say that is the case with electrek.

Reactions: YasB
I don’t see anything biased in Electrek’s coverage. Sure they publish more Tesla news ahead than anyone else, but there is nothing nefarious about it.

But for Electrek and TMC there would be zero counter balance to the all the FUD and lies from the mainstream media.

Take this article's title: Elon Musk’s Boring Company raises $112.5 million for hyperloop and tunnel projects

What impression does that give you?

Then read one of the last paragraphs: "A Boring Company representative confirmed to Electrek that Musk’s investment represents over 90% of the round and the other investors are “early employees. No venture capitalist or investment firm were involved."

Usually, when it's mentioned a company raised some capital, it's implied it's by VC / outside funding. The title / article makes it sound like that is the case, until this paragraph. That is intentional, and that is bias.

Bias doesn't just show up in journalists writing complete falsehoods, but playing on wording to imply a certain connotation or meaning. Such as the wording on those recent articles on how Model 3 reservations have to pay an additional $2500 in cash before getting the car. Not totally false, but makes it seem like you have pay 2500 bucks more than the price of the car (not true).

I'll give my perspective on electrek. I started reading it totally not as a Tesla fanboy (which I am still not). I found it to be a great aggregator of electrification information, admittedly focused primarily on Tesla.

Fred is a Tesla enthusiast. I think if you read his "Electrek's Take" section of the articles he makes that very clear. Given that, any thinking person can decide how much to "trust" electrek as a source of neutral journalism. I get a lot of good information from electrek that I might not normally see, because I don't spend my days scouring the web looking for EV news. When I find something interesting to me it will usually prompt me to research the topic more generally, and find other sources for it.

I think electrek also serves a great need in putting the real news into perspective. Case in point, after Tesla hit the 5,000 unit mark at the beginning of July the shorters went into overdrive trying to push FUD. Electrek covered the stories, and then offered some perspective, and their (Fred's) editorial view of them. Given that he is educated on the subject matter I find that much more useful than the dozens of "mainstream" news sites that just uploaded the pablum that the shorters were feeding them for clicks, without any critical review.

True, we as readers must be careful not to reside in a filter bubble. But that pendulum swings both ways. If I weren't reading electrek over the last two months, and only relying on the stories that were hitting MSM via the shorters I might have dumped my Tesla stock.

Electrek is a joke. They're the BGR of the automotive world. Pretending to be unbiased while simultaneously being on the take of their benefactor.

Agree that Disqus Shadowban is an invention from hell, but honestly this applies to most any site that uses Disqus.

At the end of the day it must be nigh on impossible for small sites that gain a following to keep up with moderating comments especially against wilful disruptors, which is where shadowban comes in.
I dont like it either, but as I said upthread it's not hard to work out a site/blog's theme/viewpoint and keep in in context with other sites you read on the web. If they deliberately misrepresent their position then that is a different matter but you could hardly say that is the case with electrek.
No, Electrek is definitely fanboyish. Hell, they used to have the current TSLA price as a permanent banner.
But I use Electrik as a summariser of this forum. Very useful, I never miss a new feature or event without having to scout pages of forum.

• Disagree
Reactions: CarlK
In my view, Electrek is one of the most balanced and informative sites covering Tesla. And I’m certainly not going to say Electrek is without bias. It’s just that everyone else is also biased, and unlike Electrek, everyone else tends to get even the most basic of facts wrong

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

EH?!?!?!?

Fred Lambert IS Tesla's free marketing arm. Don't get me wrong, I love the site, but he REGULARLY gets information "Leaked" to him. It's like when you read an article in the news and it says "according to an anonymous source who was not authorized to speak to the media". Same thing. Fred Lambert IS Tesla's marketing department.

Love the site tho. Great articles.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I don’t see anything biased in Electrek’s coverage. Sure they publish more Tesla news ahead than anyone else, but there is nothing nefarious about it.

But for Electrek and TMC there would be zero counter balance to the all the FUD and lies from the mainstream media.

You do realize your first and second paragraphs are completely contradictory right?

I think the problem is that you think countering lies, distortions and bias requires the same on the other side. It is possible to counter lies, distortions and bias with objective reporting.

Geez.... why is everyone reading all this random stuff into me lol? Just read what I said, then read what he wrote! Basic logic!

He said:

Ok, so he said Electrek is fair and balanced. Electrek is about as fair and balanced as Fox News lol. AGAIN, I agree by and large with their angle,

BUT

They are NOT fair and balanced.

So anyhow, now that we've established his first sentence states Electrek is NOT biased, his second sentence states:

This statement heavily implies Electrek is on Tesla's side, and is thereby, by definition, BIASED.

I feel like a grade 5 English teacher here lol.

Electrek is pro Tesla. Sometimes it's headlines do seem like clickbait ...
BUT ..
In a sea full of Tesla FUD, it is a Tesla Lighthouse :) ~ cheers

I agree. But there's no denying it's Tesla's marketing arm. It allows Tesla to say stuff, ensure plausible deniability, and avoid any responsibility to the markets. Electrek gets information from "a well placed source within Tesla" WEEKLY. This isn't an exaggeration, go read through the site. They're the only ones on the planet getting weekly production numbers updates. All the other EV sites either estimate based on VIN's, or the manfacturers monthly reporting, or some other method. Electrek has everything handed DIRECTLY to them.

Given Musk's anger over leakers and obsession with loyalty, a couple of traits he shares with the orangutan (sorry orangutans), it beggars belief that this leak is occurring without Musk's explicit blessing, and more likely, direction. So for anyone to state that Electrek is balanced.... lol.… I have a bridge to sell you.

I do enjoy reading the Tesla updates tho. :) Clean Technica is also very good, moreso given they don't get anything spoon fed from Tesla. A lot more real journalism over there.

Reactions: mos6507
This statement heavily implies Electrek is on Tesla's side, and is thereby, by definition, BIASED
Forget English, teach me some logical deduction here.

How did you make the logical conclusion that being a counter-balance to the all the FUD and lies from the mainstream media is considered as biased ..? In my definition that is being truthful. Biased is where you make up stuff. Are you saying Electrek makes up their own pro-Tesla stuff?. For example, do they interview select employees and give glorious reports on the working conditions?

• Disagree
Reactions: mos6507 and CarlK
Forget English, teach me some logical deduction here.

In my definition that is being truthful. Biased is where you make up stuff. ?

Wrong.

Here's a definition of bias for you:

bias definition - Google Search

prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.

Fred Lambert is very clearly in favour and prejudiced towards Tesla. For an example of a fairer discussion of Tesla on the site, I'd say adding some sort of financial analysis would be a start. Tesla's financials are complete *sugar* right now. May change, but ever since they've existed as a company their financials have been horrid. Totally ignoring that issue is an exhibition of bias.

p.s. sorry for sticking with the English.

• Disagree
Reactions: mos6507 and CarlK
Electrek does report a lot of, and usually good, Tesla news. Most were proven correct including some that are exclusive. That's the only reason I go there. I agree with others Fred's opinions sometime maybe a little shallow and pretentious when he tried too hard to make him look fair. That said the site is still way better than most of those click baiting articles about Tesla you see on the internet.

Then again Edward Niedermeyer is probably the biggest Tesla hater and FUDster out there. Score one for Fred if he has offended that guy.

Last edited: