Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The elusive thin-walled 13mm socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Did some searches and found this 1/4" socket that has an OD 17.1 which should fit based on the measurement done in post #21. Link on Amazon showing the OD, sizes.

Or you can buy directly from company and it's free shipping within USA. Only $12

I have not used this but looking to buy one as well.

I ground down the 13mm socket from my truck's toolbag (Toyota doesn't use 13mm fasteners) on my bench grinder and it was good enough to do my shock install, but I later developed some front end clunking and went back to re-tighten and broke the socket. Ordering the Redwood socket now :cool:

Anybody know the torque spec for the 3 13mm nuts? How about for the top nut on the shock? I've found in order to keep the shock shaft from turning, I had to wrap my vice grip in electrical tape and hold it through the spring.

Just finished my MPP Sport Coilovers install on a M3P. Confirmed that the 13mm socket linked above ($12 shipped) works without issues. Was able to uninstall/reinstall.

MicrosoftTeams-image (6).jpg

Reactions: BadassBob
Hi everyone. Did some searches and found this 1/4" socket that has an OD 17.1 which should fit based on the measurement done in post #21. Link on Amazon showing the OD, sizes.

Or you can buy directly from company and it's free shipping within USA. Only $12

I have not used this but looking to buy one as well.
Marked for future reference. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: reds2k1
For reference, here's the outer diameter of my nut driver, which is pretty much the same as the hole above the shock assembly. It's likely intended to be 17.5mm.

IMG_20200121_172236-scaled.jpg
For what it's worth, my six (6) bolt holes all had slightly different diameter.
The narrowest is 17.51 mm (pic below flipped upside-down so that you can read the measurement), the widest is 18.09 mm. Tesla's manufacturing tolerances are pretty sloppy.

The socket from Kokenusa.com is ~17.1mm, and fit just fine.
HTH

1714248873726.png