Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The elusive thin-walled 13mm socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
For those of you that are planning to DIY the model 3 suspension, you have probably read lots about needing a thin-walled 13mm socket for the front suspension. Other posts have offered an alternative approach that doesn't require removal of the 13mm nuts while the suspension assembly is installed but seems that if a 13mm thin-walled socket is available, it may make the job easier.

My research lead me to the Stanley Proto J7013MHT 3/8-Inch Drive Thin Wall Deep Impact Socket, 13mm, 6 Point on Amazon. The Amazon reviews are mixed. One purchaser noted: I see no difference between this and a regular wall socket. If you are looking for a thin wall socket, this is not the one for you." I decided to buy it anyways and here's a pic of it.
13mm thin wall socket.jpg

Although I have not tested it out, I'm guessing this one will do the trick.

For those of you that are planning to DIY the model 3 suspension, you have probably read lots about needing a thin-walled 13mm socket for the front suspension. Other posts have offered an alternative approach that doesn't require removal of the 13mm nuts while the suspension assembly is installed but seems that if a 13mm thin-walled socket is available, it may make the job easier.

My research lead me to the Stanley Proto J7013MHT 3/8-Inch Drive Thin Wall Deep Impact Socket, 13mm, 6 Point on Amazon. The Amazon reviews are mixed. One purchaser noted: I see no difference between this and a regular wall socket. If you are looking for a thin wall socket, this is not the one for you." I decided to buy it anyways and here's a pic of it.
View attachment 380499

Although I have not tested it out, I'm guessing this one will do the trick.

To my eye you didn't measure that correctly ;)

You are not on the measuring surface of the caliper.

To my eye you didn't measure that correctly ;)

You are not on the measuring surface of the caliper.
Good eye! there's a small divot at that end of the caliper. Trying to take a picture with one hand and holding the caliper with the other...at least that's my excuse :). Measuring again, it's about 18.1mm. Still fairly thin and can't imagine anything much thinner and still have integrity.

Thank you for the reply. I was under the impression that a 13mm was needed for the top 3 nuts. The item in the link only goes up to 12mm. Is it a 12mm nut?

I purchased the product in the link he posted. Did NOT work and retuned. Definitely need 13mm.

I bought it, and I can confirm it fits.

However, when the link was first put up, it was linking to a different item. You can tell it by the URL, it was for a 5-13mm set. The seller probably sold out of them, and change to what it currently is.

Here's what the correct set looks like:
Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 10.47.54 PM.png

Edit: Other brands' "5-13mm 9pcs nut driver" on Amazon probably fit as well. They all look the same, and are probably made by the same factory.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion, like Araex said my original link had the 13mm in the set. The top three nuts definitely are 13mm. Also another helpful tip, on the passenger side the nut was offset a tad, I couldn't get the 13mm onto the nut at first, I loosened the other two nuts first then I removed the bolt holding on the dampener and was able to wiggle the strut enough to get the 13mm onto the last nut.

As long as it can be properly torqued, I'm sure tools from Amazon or Harbor Freight would work perfectly fine.
I agree as long as it’s a 6 point and tight enough tolerances. And for one socket your talking about saving $10 for a new one. These days I get almost all my lose snap on tools (like a single socket) from pawn shops. I can buy MAC/snap-on sockets for $1-2 each all day. Even worn out ones I warranty.

I agree as long as it’s a 6 point and tight enough tolerances. And for one socket your talking about saving $10 for a new one. These days I get almost all my lose snap on tools (like a single socket) from pawn shops. I can buy MAC/snap-on sockets for $1-2 each all day. Even worn out ones I warranty.
Beggars can't be choosers. No one has actually confirmed that the Snap-On thin wall socket will fit, and those of us who are working on the suspensions ourselves, we just want something on hand that we know will fit.

Reactions: untilcomplete
Beggars can't be choosers. No one has actually confirmed that the Snap-On thin wall socket will fit, and those of us who are working on the suspensions ourselves, we just want something on hand that we know will fit.

I can see having quality tools for tightening the dampener bolts and other bolts that require high torque specs, but the three top nuts are only around 25-30 ft. lbs. So basically anything you can get to fit will do the job.

Last edited: