Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The future of AutoPilot Tesla in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
the latest news aren't good for AutoPilot (In Europe)- So, What's the future in Europe?

Ultimately we're all stuck on Level 2, and the only difference is what our respective regulatory bodies will allow Tesla to do with a Level 2 system.

I'm not sure how much more the US regulatory body (the NHTSA) will allow Tesla to get away under the disguise of Level 2. We'll know soon enough when Tesla starts to roll out City NoA.

I'm not sure we'll really gain much functionality over European countries. In a sense we're all waiting on Tesla to achieve L4 self-driving over at least limited areas.

Ultimately we're all stuck on Level 2, and the only difference is what our respective regulatory bodies will allow Tesla to do with a Level 2 system.

I'm not sure how much more the US regulatory body (the NHTSA) will allow Tesla to get away under the disguise of Level 2. We'll know soon enough when Tesla starts to roll out City NoA.

I'm not sure we'll really gain much functionality over European countries. In a sense we're all waiting on Tesla to achieve L4 self-driving over at least limited areas.

Not sure why you think that we are all stuck, since there are a number of states and locations that are indeed doing level 5.

But the EU is stuck because of the European regulators, Tesla has had to roll back capabilities.

Not sure why you think that we are all stuck, since there are a number of states and locations that are indeed doing level 5.

But the EU is stuck because of the European regulators, Tesla has had to roll back capabilities.

I was talking about it from the perspective of cars available to consumers. I'm not referring to Waymo nor any other very restricted robotaxi like service.

The only glimmer of hope that I'm aware of is the Audi A8 in Germany, but I don't know if it's been certified yet for limited L3 driving in Germany.

Looks like we just got Smart Summon in the EU, and it's a good example of the regulations right now. You have to be standing within six meters of the car and the car can travel a maximum of 20m before you have to drive it manually. So basically it's completely useless for parking lots, more for using like you've used regular summon.

Well, the EU is an incredibly important institution and all the countries in it are better off together than alone. Public opinion shifts mainly because populists in all countries love to blame the EU for things that have nothing to do with it, and take credit for things that the EU has achieved. Unfortunately nothing new, and leads to the kind of mess that the UK is in.

Anyway, I'd rather do without any FSD features than without the EU. That's just silly to even compare.

Fortunately I don't need to pick, because the self-driving regulations are being constantly amended. The first revision is expected in the spring, which should improve Autosteer among other things.

Also, EU countries in this like in many other areas can set their own regulations pretty much as they see fit. Finland I'm glad to say has fairly forward-looking autonomous vehicle laws, and for example there are many locally developed autonomous busses in the Helsinki area. But unfortunately we're too small for Tesla to customize their software for us, or even Norway etc. So we have to deal with the lowest common denominator EU version. (also note: Norway is not even in the EU, yet they still get the same version)

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Tesla actually runs into the US regulations. At least EU countries will have some practice now with amending them already, if I have to look for a silver lining! And Audi, BMW and Mercedes are definitely pushing hard to be able to release their tech sooner, so fortunately it's not Tesla alone in this effort.

Reactions: Just a Reader
And Audi, BMW and Mercedes are definitely pushing hard to be able to release their tech sooner, so fortunately it's not Tesla alone in this effort.

Hmmm, I believe that vag, Mercedes and bmw are the reason for the restrictions.
Several times in the history of EU have other car makers had restrictions in Europe for new inventions, until Mercedes or other German auto makers have been releasing same features, then suddenly it becomes legal...
So, time will show...

Hmmm, I believe that vag, Mercedes and bmw are the reason for the restrictions.
Several times in the history of EU have other car makers had restrictions in Europe for new inventions, until Mercedes or other German auto makers have been releasing same features, then suddenly it becomes legal...
So, time will show...

Audi had an L3 system already in 2018 that they couldn't release, which they have been complaining about ever since. So hopefully they actually want that stuff out instead of cynically lobbying against their own tech just because Tesla is further ahead.

-just like FSD and summon in Europe then, sure u ain't talking about Elon Musk now?:p

But, on the serious side, I'm curious, because all I remember is the A8 show off, that wasn't a real product, just a future concept...
It's shipping with the whole sensor suite, including LIDAR, that was supposed to enable Level 3 autonomy.
Full Page Reload
I suppose Tesla is ahead since they've actually sold Level 5 vehicles and Audi has never actually sold any Level 3 vehicles (even though the sensor suite and compute is there).