Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a difference between FSD and AP2.5 in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

From what I understand there is no difference between AP2.5 and FSD if you drive in Europe, is that correct? I think FSD in Europe is for adaptive cruise control, reading road signs, maybe some lane changing and lane corrections and that’s it, right? I think AP2.5 can also do that and also has Summon.

There are no realistic plans from Tesla to bring anything close to self-driving cars to Europe before 2030, right?

Reason I ask is that I’d like to buy a used Tesla and I see a lot of cars on offer that have HW3/FSD and I have no idea why that would be worth any money if you’re not going to drive the car in the USA.

Thanks! Bye!
K.

No such thing as FSD so you need to clarify what you are asking. Looks like you may be asking about differences in HW2.5 and HW3/4. There are:

• FSD Capability package (what you buy)
  • FSD Computer (aka: HW3/4)
  • FSD Beta (aka: Autosteer on city streets)

No such thing as FSD so you need to clarify what you are asking. Looks like you may be asking about differences in HW2.5 and HW3/4. There are:

• FSD Capability package (what you buy)
  • FSD Computer (aka: HW3/4)
  • FSD Beta (aka: Autosteer on city streets)
Hi! I think I’d like to know the difference between HW2.5 and HW3 then. In the ads people call that AutoPilot 2.5 and FSD. If I search for HW4 it looks like it’s 2 days old and I’m looking for a 5-6 year old car so I don’t mean HW4 in any case!

So what does an FSD Capability Package do in Europe? And the computer? I’ve seen photos of The Witcher 3 in cars, is that the difference? The cars I’m looking at have the screen mounted vertically so even though I like TW3 I don’t think I’ll go gaming in a car haha. If FSD Beta is auto steer then that will not come to Europe, I think.

AP2.5, aka HW2.5, refers to the Autopilot computer, not the Autopilot feature. The features are basic Autopilot (now standard), Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), and FSD. In the US, the FSD feature (not the FSD City Streets Beta) only adds Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control to what’s already in EAP. I don’t know if it’s the same in Europe.

Hello!

From what I understand there is no difference between AP2.5 and FSD if you drive in Europe, is that correct? I think FSD in Europe is for adaptive cruise control, reading road signs, maybe some lane changing and lane corrections and that’s it, right? I think AP2.5 can also do that and also has Summon.

There are no realistic plans from Tesla to bring anything close to self-driving cars to Europe before 2030, right?

Reason I ask is that I’d like to buy a used Tesla and I see a lot of cars on offer that have HW3/FSD and I have no idea why that would be worth any money if you’re not going to drive the car in the USA.

Thanks! Bye!
K.

You are mixing hardware 2.5 up with a paid function Summon.

Tesla comes in many trims.

It's possible that an owner has the hardware 2.5 but the "standard" Autopilot was not free at that time so that 2.5 car has no Autopilot until you pay for the function.

Summon is a function, Autopilot Park is a function and the minimum requirement is 2.0. To get those function, you need to pay for EAP or FSD. That means, once paid, the 2.5 that you asked would perform those functions well without the need to upgrade to 3.0 or buy 4.0.

Thus, for your question, yes, 2.5 with paid or standard Autopilot would do;

Adaptive cruise
Autosteer without Auto Lane Change.

If those 2 features are not enough for you, like you want Auto Park, you need to pay for EAP or FSD with no need to upgrade the hardware to 3 or 4.

AP2.5, aka HW2.5, refers to the Autopilot computer, not the Autopilot feature. The features are basic Autopilot (now standard), Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), and FSD. In the US, the FSD feature (not the FSD City Streets Beta) only adds Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control to what’s already in EAP. I don’t know if it’s the same in Europe.
Ohhh okay now it’s clear to me, thanks!
You are mixing hardware 2.5 up with a paid function Summon.

Tesla comes in many trims.

It's possible that an owner has the hardware 2.5 but the "standard" Autopilot was not free at that time so that 2.5 car has no Autopilot until you pay for the function.

Summon is a function, Autopilot Park is a function and the minimum requirement is 2.0. To get those function, you need to pay for EAP or FSD. That means, once paid, the 2.5 that you asked would perform those functions well without the need to upgrade to 3.0 or buy 4.0.

Thus, for your question, yes, 2.5 with paid or standard Autopilot would do;

Adaptive cruise
Autosteer without Auto Lane Change.

If those 2 features are not enough for you, like you want Auto Park, you need to pay for EAP or FSD with no need to upgrade the hardware to 3 or 4.
Yes, thank you, I see now.

On their website it shows what each package entails and seeing as I’d love auto lane change and especially navigate on AP I see I cannot settle for just AP :)

It would be so cool if it could do the lane changes for me or when I’m somewhere new it’ll be like, “don’t worry I’ll help you”😄😁

I thought AutoPilot disengages under 60 km/h but it doesn’t say that anywhere on their website and under FSD it says it has “Traffic and Stop Sign Control (Beta)”. So FSD could stop at traffic lights for me? Does it also go again when it’s green? That could be fun. Not sure it’s useful without autosteering in cities but I guess it’s still handy if you drive the same route every day.

I thought AutoPilot disengages under 60 km/h

Autopilot, EAP, FSD, FSD beta, all can only work up to 90 MPH on radar-activated cars and 85 miles on radarless cars.

If you press the pedal to go more than 90 or 85 MPH limit (depending on radar status), it would shutdown Autopilot, EAP, FSD, FSD beta the rest of the trip until you push the Park gear to restart your trip and your automation system again.

FSD it says it has “Traffic and Stop Sign Control (Beta)”. So FSD could stop at traffic lights for me?
Yes.
Does it also go again when it’s green?
No. Once FSD stops at a traffic light, it requires a manual press on the accelerator to get it going again.

Notice that FSD is different from FSD beta.

FSD beta would stop and go automatically at a red/green light without the need for manual pedals.
Not sure it’s useful without autosteering in cities
All Autopilot, EAP, FSD, FSD beta do autosteer in cities.

EAP, FSD can additionally Auto Lane Change in the cities with the driver initiation of turning on the turn signal.

FSD beta can additionally turn or stop and go at an intersection.

From what I recall, FSD doesn't require the press if there are cars in front of you.
Thanks for the clarification.

FSD will automatically stop at any red, yellow, or green light except when:

1) You manually use the pedal/stalk to keep the car running along
or
2) There's a leading car leading you through the green light. In this case, no manual pedal/stalk is needed to go through the green light.

All Autopilot, EAP, FSD, FSD beta do autosteer in cities.
And you’re sure that’s in Europe too? On their website they say auto steer on city streets is “upcoming” and it’s listed under FSD, not (E)AP.

And you’re sure that’s in Europe too? On their website they say auto steer on city streets is “upcoming” and it’s listed under FSD, not (E)AP.
Yes, sure. I've seen many European YouTube driving Autopilot-ONLY (without EAP, FSD, FSD beta), and its autosteer works in city streets. Here's one in Germany:

1693434886478.png

Tesla website confuses people when it use the same "city streets" to sell the special function that I name "Navigation on Autopilot on City Streets."

"Autosteer" does not change lane automatically but "Navigation on Autopilot on City Streets" would stop and go, turn at intersections and change lanes on its own in the city.

"Navigation on Autopilot" only works on highways: change lanes on its own, exit and enter highway interchanges on its own and exits to the desired exit ramp automatically.

Thus, instead of calling it "Navigation on Autopilot on City Streets", Tesla calls it "Autosteer on city street."

Again, the generic function of "Autosteer" with no Auto Lane Changes works in the city.

The function that Tesla calls "Autosteer on City Street" is not just "Autosteer" with no Auto Lane Changes but with Auto Lane Changes, stop and go and turn at intersections as needed. It should be called "Navigation on Autopilot on City Streets" to reduce confusion. This function is now active on FSD beta, not FSD (without the word beta).

Another confusing name from Tesla is FSD. We know FSD is beta but we can't call any random FSD as FSD beta.

A generic FSD does not turn at intersections. FSD beta does. Even though they are both beta and not consumer quality grade.

Last edited: