Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Incredible Shrinking Font

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The font on the dashboard was fine and readable for months. Then it shrunk and became difficult to read. Then after an update it was back to the larger, readable size. Now, for no obvious reason, it’s too small again. Too small, and dangerous, for drivers like me. What the hell is going on?

The font on the dashboard was fine and readable for months. Then it shrunk and became difficult to read. Then after an update it was back to the larger, readable size. Now, for no obvious reason, it’s too small again. Too small, and dangerous, for drivers like me. What the hell is going on?

Personally I liked the smaller font. When it went back large, it looked sloppy and mis-aligned (to me). Mine has not returned to small again though. I am on 2020.48.35.5.

I am 65 YO with 2.5 x reading glasses. The only thing I can ever read on the screen is the speed I am going. For everything else, I have to put on and then remove my reading glasses which has become dangerous when driving. I don’t know what the solution is other than allowing the user to change the font sizes. Otherwise, everything controlled or communicated from the screen is useless. Perhaps if all controls, commands and warnings could be voice activated and delivered.

Solution? Wait 10 year when Elon is 60 and can't see up close anymore, font might get bigger.

Don't know what this obsession is with White Space. The fonts are terribly small and yes dangerous. In that have to take eyes off road longer to struggle to see the 8pt font they use for messages on the bottom of the binacle. Plenty of space to make larger text. Just poor UI design. We aren't all young with 20/20 vision up close.

Dangerous! for a font? That's a new one for me :D
Flying a jet in Vietnam and dodging AA is dangerous to me, so I guess we have a different definition of what is dangerous :)
No worries, it will change again soon.
It's dangerous if it causes you to spend too much time not looking outside the cockpit. While (most) drivers aren't actively trying to kill you, a busy roadway is unforgiving of even momentary inattention. Human Factors Engineering is a vital art that benefits pilots and motorists alike when done well.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom
It's dangerous if it causes you to spend too much time not looking outside the cockpit. While (most) drivers aren't actively trying to kill you, a busy roadway is unforgiving of even momentary inattention. Human Factors Engineering is a vital art that benefits pilots and motorists alike when done well.
I think you missed my point. The point being that we all have a different definition of danger :)

Reactions: T-Mom
Well yes, but I think most of us define a car crash as dangerous.
I'm with desert on this one. No one said car crashes aren't dangerous. You just stretched that conclusion. I understood the point to be that if someone thinks that trying to read a small font is going to be dangerous by causing them to crash their car, then they aren't a smart driver in my opinion. Keep eyes on the road. Seems you also replied to a problem that is over a year old and no longer an issue.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'm with desert on this one. No one said car crashes aren't dangerous. You just stretched that conclusion. I understood the point to be that if someone thinks that trying to read a small font is going to be dangerous by causing them to crash their car, then they aren't a smart driver in my opinion. Keep eyes on the road. Seems you also replied to a problem that is over a year old and no longer an issue.
We can blame humans for being imperfect, or we can design systems that take human psychology and physiology into account. There are many case histories showing the results of both approaches on accident rates and outcomes. I encourage you to look into Human Factors Engineering, it really is an interesting field of study.