Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model S Name

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really not seeing the big deal. I like the name, and I think it works well for the brand. I like that they continued it with the X as well. Sometimes codenames are cooler than real names (Nina -> Atlantic?)

These are not codenames. They're just titles that state what the thing is. It's like when you go to the store to buy some generic item like screws or a door handle or something. In that case, you don't want a cool name, you want to know what the item is, like a package of 3/8" screws or a package of 1/4" screws. Except I would think people care a little bit more deeply about their cars than that.

A "roadster" is a type of car.

That's why it makes for a lame name. Try it:

Announcing the new Chevy Van! It's a van!

Boeing has just announced the start of production of their all new aircraft named Plane. We're still waiting for confirmation on exactly what type of aircraft it is, but the model name would hit that it's some type of airplane.

These are not codenames. They're just titles that state what the thing is. It's like when you go to the store to buy some generic item like screws or a door handle or something. In that case, you don't want a cool name, you want to know what the item is, like a package of 3/8" screws or a package of 1/4" screws. Except I would think people care a little bit more deeply about their cars than that.

I was referring to an earlier post that stated they were using Model S (not whitestar) as the codename and it sort of stuck.

That's why it makes for a lame name. Try it:

Announcing the new Chevy Van! It's a van!

Boeing has just announced the start of production of their all new aircraft named Plane. We're still waiting for confirmation on exactly what type of aircraft it is, but the model name would hit that it's some type of airplane.

Many manufacturers do this though. The Mazda Miata Roadster, the Nissa 350z Roadster etc.... Tesla just did away with the extra jibberish.

7655389323.png

7092589343.png

3942343565.png

0812134937.jpg

Of course, the last picture sort of demonstrates which is the most popular roadster of them all :)

If you look in old threads, many assumed the name for Whitestar would be Sedan. Tesla Sedan.

Many manufacturers do this though. The Mazda Miata Roadster, the Nissa 350z Roadster etc.... Tesla just did away with the extra jibberish.
There's an obvious difference here, though. Miata is the name of the car and roadster is the type of car it is. 350Z Roadster is the convertible version to distinguish it from the coupe.

Codenames are assigned to help prevent hints or details from getting out ahead of an item's launch. Like the GameCube was codenamed "Project Dolphin", I would imagine "Plane" is intended to be less descriptive than, say, Leviathan or Peregrine. I wouldn't say this would apply to Whitestar and Model S, but it has it's uses.

@AnOutsider Even if other manufacturers did it too, that doesn't change the fact that it's boring and uncreative, but all of the examples you gave actually have model names for their cars:

MX-5 Miata
370Z
TTS
V12 Vantage

The vehicle type is sometimes appended for identification, just like sometimes it's called a Ford F-150 Pickup, but also, people can, and normally do, just called it the Ford F-150.

More and more articles are coming out about the Model S, and I've heard it be referred to as:
1) Tesla Model S
2) Tesla's S Model
3) Tesla S

Are 2 and 3 just plain wrong, or are those acceptable names too?
#2 is clearly wrong. #3 is awkward, but you certainly here sentences (from Tesla officers) that say (e.g.) "With the S we were trying to ...." The word "Model" occasionally gets dropped in conversation, but never in writing.

If it starts getting called the S, we get dangerously close to that joke with the punch line "watch that s car go".

also get dangerously close to being sued by mercedes-benz I am sure they a have a hold on that simple S for cars. I remember when volvo wanted to call their S80 the other way around 80S that was an immediate no no from Mercedes.