Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model Year is the Best Indication of Current Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a few posts here indicating the VIN they were assigned is not one of the "newer" ones (535xxx+), indicating the numbers aren't assigned sequentially. Thus, no way to tell when it came off the line.

Since all the current quarter cars seem to have the "L" (MY2020), this should be the new metric. VINs with "K" were produced last quarter. "L" means current quarter.

Make sense?

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
There have been a few posts here indicating the VIN they were assigned is not one of the "newer" ones (535xxx+), indicating the numbers aren't assigned sequentially. Thus, no way to tell when it came off the line.

Since all the current quarter cars seem to have the "L" (MY2020), this should be the new metric. VINs with "K" were produced last quarter. "L" means current quarter.

Make sense?
Actually the tenth digit of the "VIN" tells you the model year. K=2019 and L=2020. It is universal among all cars in the US

Reactions: XLR82XS
What do you mean? VIN is universal. There are multiple standards for around the world but since 1981 vehicles manufactured in the United States have followed a federally mandated standard.

Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia

Yes, I know they are universal. My question was a direct reply to another post.

The model year's are sequential, A-Y and then 1-9. But that only will count for 35 years, and cars like the Corvette have been around a lot longer than 35 years.

I since determined the answer. VINs have only been universal since 1981. Even so, that's still 38 years. So after "9", the letters/numbers start over again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh
Yes, I know they are universal. My question was a direct reply to another post.

The model year's are sequential, A-Y and then 1-9. But that only will count for 35 years, and cars like the Corvette have been around a lot longer than 35 years.

I since determined the answer. VINs have only been universal since 1981. Even so, that's still 38 years. So after "9", the letters/numbers start over again.

which means you can't use it to id MY when it starts over? My 2054 Tesla Vin could be similar letter :)

• Funny
Reactions: dandrewk
How do they handle cars like Mustang, Corvette etc?

Theoretically, if you could end up with identical VINs, However, there are a bunch of others codes in there that have meaning about the vehicle:
4-8 are vehicle attributes
(9 check digit)
10 Model Year
11 plant code
12-17 sequence number (13-17 must be numeric).

So in order to be identical to the VIN of a vehicle made 30 years ago, you'd have to have matching vehicle attribute sequences, plant code and sequence numbers.

There's much more overlap likely with commercial trailers than cars.