Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The National Alliance for Advanced Transportation Battery Cell Manufacture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
A Voltron for lithium batteries? 14 companies, Argonne National Lab join forces - AutoblogGreen

196290204_daec8487d3.jpg

A new alliance has been formed between the Argonne National Laboratory and 14 US companies to try and "perfect" li-ion batteries for cars, the lab announced this week. The alliance, called The National Alliance for Advanced Transportation Battery Cell Manufacture, will ask for between $1 and $2 billion from the US government over five years to help with the task.

The companies involved in the alliance include:

• Johnson Controls-Saft Advanced Power Solutions
  • 3M Co
  • ActaCell
  • All Cell Technologies
  • Altair Nanotechnologies Inc
  • Eagle Picher Industries Inc
  • EnerSys
  • Envia Systems
  • FMC Corp
  • MicroSun Technologies
  • Mobius Power
  • SiLyte
  • Superior Graphite
  • Townsend Advanced Energy
US gov't lab, 14 firms team up on lithium battery - Forbes.com
The alliance ... intends to secure $1 billion to $2 billion in U.S. government funding over the next five years to build a manufacturing facility with an 'open foundry' for the participants to pursue the goal of perfecting lithium-ion batteries for cars.

'It's a huge deal for the nation, and for the lab,' said Mark Peters, who is in charge of transportation and battery research at Argonne National Laboratory near Chicago, which will advise the group.

'(Other) countries understand that he who makes the batteries will one day make the cars,' he said.

Last edited:
I think this is great to try and bring US battery manufacturing back domestically.

Although I think they tried to do something similar during the EV1 days, and most of that money just disappeared. I vaguely remember reading about it as part of "The Car That Could" that was partially responsible for Ovonics and the NiMH batteries, but perhaps someone else here better remembers the details. We all know what happened with Ovonics, but I believe there were other battery companies (Sulfur based and others) which didn't pan out, but did take lots of taxpayer money. I very much hope this is more successful.

I have imagined this exact model before when thinking about how it would be possible to get automotive battery pack prices down. Should be interesting to see how they work together given all the difference types of li-ions and probably also proprietary things involved.

I would love for this to come to pass and be successful. I always felt post-demise of the EV1 et al, that we were de facto ceding future battery technology to Asia. I hope we can reverse this. The future of the US economy depends on leading in some strategic technologies like this.