TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The National Alliance for Advanced Transportation Battery Cell Manufacture

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by doug, Dec 20, 2008.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    A Voltron for lithium batteries? 14 companies, Argonne National Lab join forces - AutoblogGreen

196290204_daec8487d3.jpg

US gov't lab, 14 firms team up on lithium battery - Forbes.com

2. graham

graham Active Member

I think this is great to try and bring US battery manufacturing back domestically.

Although I think they tried to do something similar during the EV1 days, and most of that money just disappeared. I vaguely remember reading about it as part of "The Car That Could" that was partially responsible for Ovonics and the NiMH batteries, but perhaps someone else here better remembers the details. We all know what happened with Ovonics, but I believe there were other battery companies (Sulfur based and others) which didn't pan out, but did take lots of taxpayer money. I very much hope this is more successful.

3. doug

I think the foundry model is a good way to do it. Kinda like a TSMC for batteries.

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I have imagined this exact model before when thinking about how it would be possible to get automotive battery pack prices down. Should be interesting to see how they work together given all the difference types of li-ions and probably also proprietary things involved.

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Strange that none of the customers (i.e. car companies) are involved in the consortium.

It will be good for the likes of Eagle Picher - I know that today they are using GS-Yuasa cells in their satellite li-ion products.

6. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

What about the U.S. Advanced Battery Consortium? I'm curious how these two different organizations will work together, if at all.

7. doug

My hope is that this is more about manufacturing and less about research. Starting with existing technology and staying ready for next year's product (not the next decade's).

8. doug

9. graham

graham Active Member

I would love for this to come to pass and be successful. I always felt post-demise of the EV1 et al, that we were de facto ceding future battery technology to Asia. I hope we can reverse this. The future of the US economy depends on leading in some strategic technologies like this.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member