Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too bad about the Livestream without a plan B, but thanks to DNA for jumping in to post here - and to Ben for pointing people here from the Livestream chat.

Happy New Year to all, and wishing CXC success in getting the MA Carbon Pricing legislation through. May it pass quickly and become an example for other states, the US and other countries.

Congratulations to the winners.

Congratulations on a successful fund-raiser.

And the Winners Are…

GRAND PRIZE: AL NIERENBERG, MA
2nd Prize: Ronald Alberico, NY
3rd Prize: Michael Moore, CA
4th Prize: Harry Scott, IL
5th Prize: Scott Gilbert, IL
6th Prize: James Decher, IL

My Name is Mud!!!

Folks,

I am VERY SORRY that the live stream went down completely! We thought that it was delayed but didn't realize that it was just plain broken!

Very, very, VERY SORRY to those people who stayed up late watching the live stream only to have it terminate just as we were doing the raffle! My understanding is that it all worked perfectly for about three hours and then broke around midnight.

Again, REALLY SORRY!!!

I am going to call the other winners now and then I'll come back and post the list here.

Alan

It's such a strange coincidence that out of 1700 tickets the second and grand prize winners happened to attend this small house party. This is coming from a sore loser of course :tongue:

I think you've got to figure that most of the tickets were bought by people who know Alan, Jessica and CXC here in MA (but somehow I didn't get it :crying:).

What surprises me more is that prizes 4, 5 and 6 all went to people in Illinois!

Alan, no worries, this raffle made 2016 NYE very special.
Thanks again to DNA for pinch-hitting on the updates - looking forward to watching the archived for posterity so-called livestream.
And congrats to the winners - especially #1 and #2 - so glad you were there to experience that in person :)

Fantastic job Alan!!!!!!

Folks, remember this is about starting to price unpriced externalities of using the atmosphere as a free waste receptacle using a revenue neutral fee and dividend model. Please support the concept by sharing and public ally supporting the idea whenever the opportunity arises. A's Elon says - it's the tool we need to implement to solve this problem:

For those who are not in Massachusetts, Citizens Climate Lobby is the grassroots national nonpartisan organization that we can support by helping build local chapters where they don't exist, and participating and showing support where they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be surprised if less than 50% of the tickets went to buyers outside MA. After all, they support a state organization, and indirectly state legislation. Anyone can dig into MA SB 1747, to witness the support that also produced dollars for this raffle.

I did worry about the "guy in the room" scenario. Oh well?

Congrats to Alan and Jessica, and those who helped make both the grand prize, and the critical benefit to this organization possible. That's what it was about.

Whew.

What a roller-coaster!

We had the live stream going from maybe 9 or so onwards. We had the raffle sales wrapping up. We had 60 or so people chowing down and drinking up and making merry. Kids underfoot. Good times!

We went through the whole drum loading ceremony, which I'd've thought would be boring as hell but at least in the room we were in people hung out for the whole thing. That's when I explained a bit about how we were verifying the tickets, putting them in envelopes, sealing the envelopes with wax, and so on. We brought the camera over to inspect the drum to make sure it was empty. Everything was in good shape when we broke for a few minutes to do the New Year's thing.

I don't know if all of the drum loading made it onto the live stream.

What I do know is that we got going on the actual raffle drawing part and apparently the live stream went south right around then. But we didn't know that in the room. Our camera operator thought that the live stream was being badly delayed, but that that wasn't all that surprising based on previous livestream performance. My phone was ringing in my pocket, but I ignored it because I was caught up in the moment with everyone else. Later, I found out that it was our web master calling... you can imagine why.

Anyway, we walked through the whole process and were always conscious that our party included many attendees over the net. We showed everybody the tickets as they were drawn, and put them in envelopes to reveal later. We showed the envelopes to the camera. We called up my daughter Stella to pick the Grand Prize ticket (which went into an envelope held by my wife, Jessica), and then my son John to pick the 2nd prize ticket, and then Danielle, the daughter of a close friend to pick 3rd prize, then Annie, our son's babysitter, to pick 4th, then Walter, my daughter's boyfriend (jury's out on that one), to pick 5th, and then Nicole to pick 6th.

Then we reversed the process and opened up the 6th place prize and announced it, working our way down towards the Grand Prize. We announced the prizes and thanked the winners out in net land. If we're to be accurate, it might even be said that there was a bit of mugging for the camera. :) Then we announced the Grand Prize, and the room broke out with excitement and applause and I think a lot of joy.

The Grand Prize winner and his wife came over to get a certificate from Jessica, and we all posed for a picture together.

Then we took a moment to reflect, and I gazed into the camera and said THANK YOU first and foremost to the many supporters and ticket purchasers who made the raffle successful. There would be no raffle without the eager endorsement of 1700+ people who committed time, energy and money to understanding and supporting it. I thanked many other people, too.

It was right about then that things fell apart in the sense that the news finally penetrated *to us* that the livestream was actually a deadstream. Oh, man, Jessica and I were crushed. All this work to get to this point and to have the livestream drop at the worst possible time was a sickening and demoralizing feeling. I felt sick, because I had never stopped to think about a Plan B for live streaming. I didn't think about it breaking. We got it working pretty easily, so didn't think more about it. Wow, was that a painful lesson.

So, to all of you who gathered to watch... who had your tickets at stake!... I offer my apology for not being able to share the experience with us here. We thought you were with us and ironically we were having more fun because of that thought. Funny how we in the room felt connected to you at a time when the livestream had failed us.

Thank you, again, for your support. It has been the best raffle I could imagine and what made it so was the supporters, not the prizes or the organizers. The order database and my personal email are filled with reams and reams of suggestions, inquiries, expressions of support, offers of help. Nicole plotted purchaser locations on a map, and we could see that there was support from all over the country. When I go to sleep tonight, I won't be thinking about raffle logistics and next steps. I'll be thinking about the support that has been offered from the communities that have intersected over this raffle. And... yeah, I'll be thinking about that !@#$ deadstream.

Best wishes to all for a wonderful New Year!

Alan

P.S. I also am grateful to the people in the room who videotaped and posted and whatnot to work around the deadstream. I had no idea, until I logged in a few minutes ago and had a chance to review the thread. Thanks, guys.

- - - Updated - - -

I have already called and left messages where appropriate.

Winners of the 2015 Climate XChange Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle:

• 6th prize, 24 hr Tesla experience ($1000) - James Decker, Glenview, IL

• 5th prize, iRobot Roomba ($1000) - Scott Gilbert, Chicago, IL

• 4th prize, iRobot scrubber & mopper robots ($1000) - Harry Scott, Avondale, AZ

• 3rd prize, Outdoor care kit ($2000) - Michael Moone, Pleasanton, CA

• 2nd prize, Hero Eco A2B bikes (2) ($5000) - Ronald Alberico, Clarence, NY

• Grand Prize, Tesla, goodies, taxes & fees ($110K FMV, $37K US withholding, $147K total outlay by CXC) - Al Nierenberg, Boxford, MA

Congratulations to all of our winners!

And SUPER THANK YOU to all of the many, many supporters of the Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle! Please use us as an excuse to talk to a friend this weekend, and a colleague next week, about carbon pricing.

Alan

I fell asleep long before the drawing anyway! It gave all of us ticket holders some fun daydreaming, so thank YOU! As of yesterday, I had even decided that if I won grand prize, I was going to go all out with a P90DL. Thank goodness I didn't win, that would only have been trouble!

Congrats to all the winners!

I also read that some tickets were sold then couldn't be validated, so they have to exclude some tickets from the tub. It may be more like 1500 tix.

What does this mean? If payment was successful, what else can invalidate tickets? Would love to see a list of numbers which got excluded, and the winning ticket numbers.

Pollux & wife and others involved:
Fantastic job on the entire thing (despite picking the wrong numbers ;))!

It was nice to be able to think about 'what if', and love that this was in support for a really good & important cause.

Thanks for all the work you've put into this, hopefully you enjoyed it at least as much as we did.

Last edited:
Alan and Jessica-

Thank you for your efforts! It was fun, the video stream notwithstanding. It doesn't matter, I assume most if not all of us were participating to help a worthy cause. The prizes were icing on the cake.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the problem was caused by a bug with livestream and the change of the year. I think it died at midnight. You should certainly ask for your money back.

What does this mean? If payment was successful, what else can invalidate tickets? Would love to see a list of numbers which got excluded, and the winning ticket numbers.

At the start I believe he said there were 1790ish tickets sold with 1747 valid tickets being loaded into the drum, the remaining 40ish being invalid for reasons like returns and cancellations.