Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the idea that in addition to the fabulous GRAND prize, there would be other cash prizes as well for 2 nd through 6 th place.

Aren't there "random number generator" apps out there that could be used to assign numbers as people purchase tickets and then to randomly select winners at raffle end? That would seem preferable to the more cumbersome and labor intensive system of issuing paper tickets, maybe having paper tickets "stick", pulling them out of a drum, etc.....

Reactions: bollar
I really like the idea that in addition to the fabulous GRAND prize, there would be other cash prizes as well for 2 nd through 6 th place.

Aren't there "random number generator" apps out there that could be used to assign numbers as people purchase tickets and then to randomly select winners at raffle end? That would seem preferable to the more cumbersome and labor intensive system of issuing paper tickets, maybe having paper tickets "stick", pulling them out of a drum, etc.....

Hi, @AZGirl,

Thanks for the suggestion! A part of me would love to do as you say. Another part of me worries that the Massachusetts Attorney General regulations imply the need for something physical that can be stored and potentially audited by the AG in the future. The regulations definitely intend for the ticket numbers to be something like relatively small, densely packed integers, e.g., of the kind that you would find on cheap raffle tickets. Also, if we did something electronic like this, regardless of the regulations we'd need some way to satisfy ourselves and any ticket purchasers that the whole thing is traceable and no funny business can happen with it. As an ex-software engineer, I worry that there are too many ways to fake the use of a random-number picking app, or substitute one app for another, or intercept what appears to be a connection to a web-based random number generator. Not that anything on the web has ever been hacked. :) The sheer physicality of ticket stubs placed into a rotating drum, observed by people and cameras, seems to me both simple and pretty effective at preventing cheating.

I'm very glad to have another opinion in favor of several prizes!

Thanks,
Alan

Reactions: ModelX
@boofagle, funny you should ask... At a Climate XChange board meeting today, a resolution was passed to begin groundwork for another raffle!

It didn't occur to me until just now -- basically because I'm an idiot, and these two posts triggered an actual Thought in the rock that passes for my brain -- but I'd like to ask for some help from this crowd. Basically, some questions/opinions/comments/advice, even though such things are always in short supply here on TMC. NOT. :)

My most important question is this: what did you view as bad / broken / suboptimal about the last raffle? Boy, do I realize I'm potentially opening myself up to a lot of criticism. :-( Turns out my skin is thinner than I had always imagined; some of the criticism on the last raffle really got to me. But I don't know how to improve without asking for feedback, so I'll just also ask that you try to be gentle.

Here are at least some of the things I want to improve on, in no particular order:

+ I'd like to get an actual, real live auditor. Wasn't able to find one last time who would agree to handle the raffle. If anyone knows a CPA or auditor practicing in MA who might be open to auditing this raffle - processes, prize awards, anything that an auditor thinks should be audited -- please let me know! We went to great lengths last time to be open and fair, we had our attorney involved every step of the way, we had multiple people on the board and in the organization cross-checking each other, and STILL had some people pointing to this issue. And, dammit, despite everything we did to cross-check ourselves, I think it's a reasonable point.

+ Tickets must be formatted in such a way that the tear-off portion is of a small size that can fit with 1999 other tickets into a raffle drum. It was an unpleasant moment when I discovered that the ticket that our designer and I had labored over for so long turned out to be too big for the raffle drum. Too big, even, for 2000 of them (well, 1744 or whatever the exact number turned out to be) to fit into a composting barrel. So I had to invent a lookup table and map the tickets onto a roll of standard carnival-style ticket stubs, which (a) sucked and (b) opened us up to questions -- how do I know you didn't make a mistake on the lookup table? How do I know you didn't put in more stubs? How do I know you put in my stub? Etc., etc. As upsetting as these questions were to me, I have to say that the whole "use a small stub in place of the large stub" thing is sub-optimal. I will NOT be repeating THAT.

+ I'd like to gather some simple demographic data. Who purchases the tickets? (E.g., current Tesla owner, Tesla wannabe-owner, environmentalist, oil-burning-fiend-who-just-wants-a-Tesla, etc.) How did the purchaser hear of us?

+ I'd like to figure out who, if anyone, among ticket purchasers and/or website visitors, would be amenable to hearing from Climate XChange for an actual fund-raising pitch (e.g., a tax-deductible donation). I think this has to be opt-in, as I really dislike the idea that we'd gather a person's email address for use with the raffle ticket and then just hand that address off for a fundraising letter. Seems unfair to me. Others have pointed out that opt-out is more favorable than opt-in but I'm still thinking opt-in. We managed to NOT gather ANY of the demographic or fundraising info as part of the last raffle, and I'm unwilling to use the ticket buyer email list we gathered from the last raffle to send out shotgun fundraising pitches.

+ I'm thinking it *IS* OK to use last year's ticket buyer email list for a letter letting those people know that we're doing another raffle. I'd be particularly interested in feedback saying NO, this is a BAD idea, and explaining why.

+ I was bad at consistently thanking all the people who helped with this raffle, and there were a ton of them. People on this thread, people at various blogs/publications, vendors, colleagues, and so on. This whole thing would have cratered badly without the many people of goodwill who pitched in! I hope I thanked all who helped but continue to fear that I missed people. I also got over-social-media'd -- I'm basically an introvert by nature -- and after New Year's Eve, just sort of collapsed in a puddle of can't-handle-more-FaceBook or Twitter or reddit or TMC or teslamotors.com or blah blah blah. How do I get better at tracking who to thank, and actually thanking them, and KNOWING that I have thanked them (since I forget)? How do I get better at being a partner on social media?

+ There is no way in hell I'm writing another set of raffle rules with exceptions around certain numbers of tickets. These were things like, if the raffle sells less than 867 tickets, it will be a cash raffle but above 867 full prizes will be awarded. I never thought we'd need those exceptions, and wrote them in because long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, I had a professional identity vaguely resembling that of an engineer. Except that Jar Jar Binks was a better engineer than I was. Anyway, those stupid exceptions became sticking points for some potential ticket buyers because no one (including me) has any interest in a cash raffle. Blech! So this time around, I will find prize guarantors up front -- people who will sign a pledge that they will cover some or all of the prize pool in the event that the raffle doesn't sell enough tickets. Literally, if the raffle were only to sell 1 ticket, the full prizes would still be awarded. Well, N tickets for N prizes, but you get the idea. I think this is a reasonably low risk for a guarantor to take.

I'm also going to be looking for outright donors to cover the prize pool. The pitch is basically this: you contribute $X. We put it to work for the raffle prize pool, and the raffle net will be more than you put in. We'll probably net 2-3X. This is exceptionally good from a donor perspective. We're still discussing whether the raffle is going to be done via the CXC 501c3 or the c4, which means that if it's the c3 we can't spend much of the raffle funds on political lobbying BUT donations are tax-deductible and if it's the c4 we can spend as much as we want on lobbying BUT donations are NOT tax-deductible. Whaddya think? Good idea? Bad idea?

Oh, another thing we're gonna fix: the live streaming!!! If we do another New Year's Eve Drawing, we MUST have a rock solid live stream. Oh man, the pain we caused to our viewers when that damn live stream stopped going out... turned out that the entire stream was captured and saved and was viewable later New Year's Day (and still is), but I still shudder when I think of people who bought their tickets and tuned in and saw a nice, stable, and very boring picture for three hours and then the picture vanished as we were getting to the drawing. Ouch!!!

Prizes... I'm still inclined to do 5 or 6 prizes, but I'm thinking that 2nd through 6th prizes will be CASH ONLY this time around. Last time, I spent an ungodly amount of time assembling carbon-friendly prizes: electric bikes @ $5K, outdoor care kit @ $whatever, indoor care kit, 24 hour Tesla experience, etc. Every Non-Grand Prize Winner Took The Cash. I'm interested whether anyone thinks there really should be an effort made to put together serious non-cash prizes. I think people appreciated the possibility of winning multiple prizes, and the winners certainly didn't complain.

By the way, did anyone else notice that a certain other raffle out there apparently noticed and responded to the CXC raffle? That raffle suddenly introduced a tax payment along with their Grand Prize (cool!). But they switched from awarding a Tesla to awarding (if I recall correctly) a much cheaper Jeep Grand Cherokee (boo! boo, boo, boo!), probably to keep their total prize payout the same.

@CatB - you raise an interesting point! Now, this CXC thing is an MA-based raffle. So basically it happens in an MA legal framework and the drawing must be in MA. I'm thinking that there will be some kind of launch event there as well. But what would stop us from also having an event in MD? Maybe I need to add an MD attorney along with my MA attorney. :) Of course, I can't be in two places at once, so maybe that means just an MA launch event. Hmmm. Thoughts?

By the way, I think I'm only going to do this second CXC raffle and then one other (probably not for CXC). The other one will be a little further out in time, but if I'm able to have my way with it, will make this one and the first one look like training wheels. Then I'll officially be out of the raffle-fundraising-for-carbon-pricing business!

So... anyone who still is paying attention to this thread... what else would you have me fix? Or consider? What advice would you give me?

Thanks!

Alan

This is great news! I'm so excited. I agree with all of what you said in your post. The live stream cutting out was a bummer, but from what I remember it was a last-minute icing-on-the-cake thing anyway and you had the winners on your website/twitter right after the drawing. For your info, I'm a Volt owner and EV/Tesla enthusiast and heard about the raffle from this thread. You have no idea of the amount of time I spent day dreaming with your last raffle! I think you did a great job and I know you kept this thread full of useful information and transparency.

My suggestion would be to offer a fully loaded 90 or 100 S/X, doesn't have to be Ludicrous. I'm not sure how you got to the 103,000 number, and I'm sure there are very just reasons, but it seemed like an odd number. Again, not that there's anything wrong with 103k, but you're asking for suggestions :D I think there'd be more people wiling to plunk down $250 or whatever the next amount is if there was an option to win a fully loaded S/X and not having to pay a dime. If someone wanted the S instead they could pocket the difference between the X and S. If the regular 100D price isn't out by that time I could see that as the kind of upgrade the winner could pay for themselves. Currently a fully-loaded X is $123,250. I would also be ok with only a 2nd and/or 3rd prize if it meant there could a better grand prize.

Dear @boofagle,

Your enthusiasm is infectious! I'm glad that the raffle ignited your dreams -- I had hoped for that!

Yes, the live-streaming was meant to be an icing-on-the-cake kind of thing but as I look back at it, I think, if we were going to do it at all AND let people know that it was a possibility, then we should have done a bang-up job on it. Which basically would have meant having a solid plan B to deal with any problems arising from Plan A (livestream). We lucked out, instead, through no preparation of our own: one of the staff was monitoring twitter and FB, saw problem reports and started trying to handle the reports and the actual problem; another person saw the reports and tried to notify me, which I had told her to do, and tried to call me multiple times in a row on my cell, which I had also told her to do, but then in the excitement of the moment I completely ignored the phone in my pocket. It turned out that another TMC member who was there had also been using his iPhone to video the drawing, so we wound up posting some of his imagery. But it was still a mess that ultimately was my responsibility, and that I didn't prioritize highly prior to the event.

As for the Grand Prize... while I'm reluctant to get into details for the new Grand Prize at this time (although it's not going to be wildly different from the last one), I can say that I arrived at the $103K figure for the last Grand Prize by going on the Tesla website in July last year and configuring the kind of Model S that I would want to give someone as a gift. And to me, such a gift should be comprehensive, i.e., not leave the recipient with a lot to worry about. So first I totaled up all the options I thought the car should have and that got me to $103K. Then tossed in other things that I thought should be part of the gift: money for an electrician, money for the delivery fee, money towards state taxes. That got me to $110K. And that was the base against which we computed the amount needed for federal taxes. My take-away from feedback during the raffle and the actual behavior of the prize winners is:

(1) Nobody cared a great deal about the little bits and pieces that were important to me as part of the gift: electrician, etc. Really what they cared about was how much money they could apply towards the Tesla they were configuring. In some cases, people were interested in configuring a *less expensive* Tesla and wondered whether they could then take cash for the difference between what they configured and the total prize value (my answer was "yes").

(2) People did indeed appreciate the federal tax payment as part of the Grand Prize!

(3) The 2nd-6th prizes were not as attractive as I had hoped. I don't think people wound up getting excited about their all-electric nature or really anything about them. So I'm leaning towards cash for these prizes.

As I re-read your post, I realize that I missed some of your prize advice on the first reading; I was too anxious to get started on my reply. Yes, very interesting to consider investing more in the Grand Prize and have either smaller or fewer secondary prizes. One reason I like having the additional prizes is to drive the raffle odds more in favor of the ticket purchasers. Not that people are buying the tickets primarily to win 6th prize! But you buy a ticket to have a chance at the Grand Prize, and even if you don't win it, even a $1K 6th prize is a pretty nice consolation. :) I definitely buy into having the winner configure whatever s/he wants, including the option to put in extra cash, including the choice of configuring an S or an X. I think for this go-round we might even find a way to fund a Model III -- for instance, what if the winner already had a model III reservation for a car that was going to be built/delivered in 2017? (I dunno, that might be too tough a variable because we don't want any of the award to slip from 2017 into 2018.) I am looking for ways to increase the Grand Prize up to a fully-loaded beast or even all the way up to a fully-loaded P100DL.

Thanks,
Alan

(1) Nobody cared a great deal about the little bits and pieces that were important to me as part of the gift: electrician, etc. Really what they cared about was how much money they could apply towards the Tesla they were configuring. In some cases, people were interested in configuring a *less expensive* Tesla and wondered whether they could then take cash for the difference between what they configured and the total prize value (my answer was "yes").

I do think the money towards the state taxes is important.

I do think the money towards the state taxes is important.

Yes, I thought so, too... but at the end of the day there's really just two pots:

Pot #1: any cash or material goods -- things of value -- that go directly to the winner or are paid to others (Tesla) on the winner's behalf, e.g.:
money for car (to Tesla)
money for electrician (to owner)
money for delivery & doc fee (to Tesla)
money for state taxes given to winner to pay later to whatever state the winner resides in

Pot #2: federal tax payment made on behalf of winner, directly to US Treasury
this tax payment is made on ALL the pieces of pot #1 and is grossed-up ("taxes on the gift of paying the taxes")

Anything in pot #2 is fungible. So, if the winner prefers, ALL the cash in pot #1 can go into the car config. But then the winner is responsible with their own money for any state taxes, whatever charger they install, etc. If the winner prefers to treat the pieces in pot #1 separately, then the winner can do so (which translates into paying somewhat less for the Tesla config). Or the winner can lump it all together. Or, as I discovered later during the raffle as people asked questions and proposed scenarios, I'm also comfortable with the winner configuring a less expensive vehicle and taking the remainder as a cash payment. In fact, the winner can take an ENTIRELY cash payment (in the last raffle and probably again in the next one), but it will be smaller than the Grand Prize with the car. For instance, a total of $147K paid out to and on behalf of the winner for the car + US taxes last time, but if that winner had chosen all-cash, it would have been a straight $100K with taxes the responsibility of the winner, so net of about $72K to the winner with the rest sent off by CXC to the US Treasury. So a clear bias/incentive built in for the winner to actually take possession of an awesome electric vehicle. :)

Long answer to your simple sentence. If you have a ton of free time, maybe you can figure out how to digest my response into a single sentence that I can then use somewhere in the raffle rules. :)

Thanks,
Alan

• Love
Reactions: CatB
I just love that you're thinking about doing another one :)
FWIW, I'm an existing Tesla owner, have always been an environmentalist, but have learned so much more in the last 3 years, primarily from TMC. Looking forward to the next *perfect* raffle (even if I win the Big Sisters Big Brothers Tesla raffle in Nevada, I'll buy a ticket as a Christmas gift for a lucky family member)

I'm glad that it's a good prize and would never wish for less for someone's raffle and for the ultimate winner!

To be specific, I'm booing:

(1) Less money put into the car-as-prize, to make room for the taxes-as-part-of-the-prize. Would prefer to see the car dollars stay the same AND the tax dollars get added!

(2) Tesla instead of Jeep. Yes, I can certainly see how the Jeep could be an awesome Jeep, and for the right winner, that Jeep is going to be the cat's meow! Let's not kid ourselves that a Tesla can replace a Jeep when a Jeep is being used for what is meant to be used for and not just as a way to cart one's offspring from school to ballet. But, at the end of the day, I have become a Tesla lover and so want all prizes to be Teslas. :) :) :)

Alan

P.S. I think more about the Zombie apocalypse than I should, what with being a huge Walking Dead fan (although I'm behind by about a season and a half right now, please don't send me any spoilers)! I'm definitely thinking I want the Jeep for the Zombie Apocalypse. Otherwise, gotta get myself as quick as possible over to Arizona or Nevada and hunt for working self-sufficient solar systems. Maybe I could use a Jeep to tow a Tesla over to Arizona...

Reactions: Cowby
If you need something bigger than last time, maybe you could buy this and figure out something for a stand.
rare vintage galvanized tombola raffle ticket drawing prize drum cage barrel

A bit more expensive, but holds 10,000 tickets, the advantage over the last one you had was no seams to seal with sticking tickets:
RAFFLE - LARGE Capacity ACRYLIC Ticket Coupon Drum - 21 1/2"L x 17 1/2"H x 16"W

Damn, I think you just solved a problem for me!

I can't get excited about the galvanized drum but I sure do like the looks of the large capacity acrylic drum. Before I buy one, I need to do some calculations about the size of whatever ticket stub we ultimately generate, because I'll be roasted on a spit before I willingly use those little red raffle tickets (or their other-color equivalents) again. This ain't no ordinary raffle / carnival event. We're gonna do like before, and create a custom ticket for each purchaser. Except this time, instead of dividing the 8.5x11 ticket into two equal-sized pieces, one for CXC to retain and one for the purchaser to retain (or available to the purchaser at CXC headquarters if the purchaser isn't local), we're gonna have to figure out how to have a detachable segment that goes directly into the drum. And that detachable segment maybe should have more than just a number on it (in fact, MA Attorney General regulations have some very specific information requirements, but possibly those requirements can be me without needing quite as much info put on the actual goes-into-the-drum stub itself). My point being, 10,000 regular little red raffle tickets needs to be equivalent to 2,000 whatever-size-we-decide-upon custom tickets. Or I need an even larger drum and will find myself back in galvanized land.

Anyway, musings and ramblings aside... thanks, s'toon!!

Alan

Reactions: S'toon
The people have spoken! By popular demand....! :)

Just had a con-call today... really, my Wife / The Boss held the con-call and she plus an executive director and a board member gently prodded Certain Laggards -- that's me! -- and Read Me the Riot Act and so we set sail. The board member even called this thread to my attention! And this is NOT a guy you want to annoy... he walks softly... but carries an ARMFUL of Big Sticks. :)

Anyway, not to whine overly much, but I've found myself much more engaged with the whole relocating the household thing than I imagined. Stupid issues! My best guess is that we'll do another round of this raffle around March 1 or April 1. I think we need a solid three months to prepare, and November/December are not the best prep months, at least not for me, not while still dealing with those Stupid Issues. Plus if we can't hit an interesting date like January 1 (either for kickoff or for drawing), then we need to find another interesting date. It's not a requirement, but it's still a good thing for attracting attention and generating excitement for the cause.

In fact, if you've got any opinions, please do feel free to share them with me in this forum or privately.... Earth Day? Memorial Day? Just keep in mind we want to do both an exciting kick-off AND an exciting drawing. Oh, and I'm thinking of a roughly three-month ticket sales period, like last time (which was Sep 26-Dec 31, 2015).

This time, unlike last time, I'd also like to find donors to cover the cost of the prizes, rather than pay for the prizes out of the raffle proceeds. Obviously, that means more cash coming out of the raffle to pump into the Carbon Pricing Cause. A prize donor would actually get a tax deduction, unlike a ticket purchaser who does NOT get a tax deduction. But a prize donor can't be allowed to purchase a ticket -- too much craziness if a prize donor then actually WON. So if you know anyone who wants to contribute to the prizes... I'm thinking we're talking amount of $5K or more... please let me know.

At a minimum, I want to find prize guarantors -- people who will pay off for prizes IF and ONLY IF the raffle somehow fails to sell enough tickets. Why this? Because I wound up hating the raffle rules I had to write last year to cover corner cases where if the raffle only sold a certain amount of tickets we'd do a cash raffle so that Climate XChange wouldn't wind up bankrupting itself. I never in a million years thought we'd ever NEED those rules, because I refused to accept that we would only sell a few tickets. And of course we wound up selling 1700+ tickets, so it wasn't an issue... except that in the early days, lots of people looked at the rules and said, well, let me know when the Tesla becomes available, I'll just sit on the fence this time. If instead we can get guarantors, we can write simple raffle rules so that no matter what the prizes are awarded. Even if only one ticket gets sold. :)

Oh, the other thing that *donors* would let us do, at least IMHO, would be to max out the Tesla Grand Prize. Last year, a max'd out Tesla was maybe $140K; right now, it's about $165K. We chose instead to award ~$110K, which corresponded to a Tesla I configured with max range and other good options but NOT a P. I'd like to increase the grand prize this year, ideally all the way up to a fully loaded S/X P Ludicrous. With all the AP options, etc., etc.

Comments, questions, suggestions -- most welcome!!

Thanks!

Alan

P.S. This is still a **Massachusetts** raffle, operated by Massachusetts folks, I'll just be advising them (for free, of course, I'm still a member of Climate XChange, no dollars will in any way flow *to* me from this raffle or the organization involved, except for any legitimate expenses that I pay out-of-pocket and then get reimbursed, such as legal fees and advertising expenses).

If you had the drawing on or around October 31, 2017, then you could advertise the winner could get a new Tesla by Christmas. November 1 to late December allows plenty of time for someone to make up their mind about options, order, and get delivery. Especially since this will be limited to US residents.

I liked the last raffle's prize because what you offered was right in line with what I would have bought even if money was no object. The P models get a lot of press, but from looking at the ordering and delivery spreadsheet, the S90D was the most popular model by a wide margin. (The 60/75 might be more popular today, I haven't looked in about 6 months). I think for most of us we'd rather have the "paltry" performance of a Corvette, but maximum range of a 90D (probably 100D by the time this raffle happens) rather than the super car performance of a P100D.

The max acceleration of my S90D is too much for my inner ear, I get queasy punching it. Now my SO on the other hand wanted to be a race car driver when she was a kid, but her father talked her out of it. She would love to have a P100DL and take it down to the Portland International Raceway and drag race against other cars. Though she's tepid on the Model S in general because of the size, she likes smaller cars. She thinks the Model X is an abomination size-wise.

Offering a maxxed out Tesla as a prize might help the raffle's wow factor, but most people would be perfectly happy with a non-P Tesla (S or X).

I agree that the Ludicrous P is not necessary, but the longest range at the time with all options except possibly the rear facing seats would be good. That way more of the ticket proceeds go to the cause and not the winner. If the winner wants to add Ludicrous and rear facing seats it would be on their dime.

Does the drawing HAVE to be physically held in Mass?
The east coast Tesla Road Trip has been held in the April/May-ish timeframe the last few years. It's been a VA locale but I believe they're open to other opportunities. Having the drawing at the dinner would be nice and maybe an opportunity to sell more tickets.
I think the organizers start planning after the new year if you want to try and attract them to Mass or get onto their radar for another state.

Reactions: jcadman22