Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, all tickets are at equal odds of getting stuck in a seam and being eliminated from being drawn. That changes the odds, since now there are two "drawings" -- one getting stuck (eliminated) and the main pull. And I'm sorry, this isn't "small stuff". What if it's your ticket that got stuck in a seam?

Good question - it might "feel" unfair, but it wouldn't be unfair - it would just be the breaks. I'm not a stats person (can still hear my German stats professor in college spitting out the words "stochastic processes"), but it seems to me that rationally (and yeah I get it, we're not rational, and it's only wise-human to recognize that that's okay - that's why it's fun that Alan is taking this so seriously, and again, I just hope he's having fun with it - good deeds shouldn't be punished) these two situations are probabilistically equivalent and technically fair:

2000 tickets:

"feels fair"
1 in 2000 chance of getting Tesla Model S or
1 in 1999 chance of getting Prize 2
1 in 1998 chance of getting Prize 3
1 in 1997 chance of getting Prize 4
1 in 1996 chance of getting Prize 5
1995 in 1996 chance of getting nothing but the satisfaction of supporting an awesome cause, and all the fun of anticipating winning

"still fair, but feels (perhaps) unfair"
1975 in 1996 chance of getting nothing but the satisfaction of supporting an awesome cause, and all the fun of anticipating winning
20 in 1996 chance of having your ticket stuck in the seams so you get nothing but the satisfaction of supporting an awesome cause, and all the fun of anticipating winning

Of course, if you break it down and consider all the permutations of what if they clear tickets out of seams between drawings or not, I still think the aggregated odds will work out as above. We will all be just as likely to be more or less selectable in any given drawing.

A more interesting question (just thinking through the emotional journey) to me is: which one will be drawn first? Personally, as much as we'd all be happy to win anything, would it be better to win something and then not be eligible for grand prize (unless we've bought multiple tickets, which is another darned good reason to do so)? or to find out the grand prize winner first and then after being vicariously happy for grand prize winner, keep up hopes for runner-up prizes?

@Pollux, I can't believe you know that eBay has an old ping pong raffle machine - I can't imagine auditing (and painting numbers on) slippery, bouncy balls - that would totally give me nightmares, so if you go that route - may divine forces of good bless you with many assistants!!

I still firmly believe that interim odds don't matter. You could also, theoretically, compute the physics of rotating all those tickets, depending on order put in and see the odds of your ticket getting drawn changing between rotations - but who cares? it's all random. Your odds of being advantaged or disadvantaged along the way don't change the overall odds.

Think of it this way: what if the process were to draw 1995 losing tickets first - (the first 20 or so being those that represent getting stuck in the seams) - does that change your odds of winning overall? Sure - at one moment in time your particular odds may go to zero "prematurely" but that doesn't really change your overall odds.

Similarly, once 1 or 2 winning tickets are drawn, our overall odds for winning go from 5 in 2000 to 4 in 1999 to 3 in 1998 - so our odds of winning anything go down rapidly in the middle, as long as we all have equal chance to win from the start of the process, it's fair.

I still firmly believe that interim odds don't matter. You could also, theoretically, compute the physics of rotating all those tickets, depending on order put in and see the odds of your ticket getting drawn changing between rotations - but who cares? it's all random. Your odds of being advantaged or disadvantaged along the way don't change the overall odds.

Think of it this way: what if the process were to draw 1995 losing tickets first - (the first 20 or so being those that represent getting stuck in the seams) - does that change your odds of winning overall? Sure - at one moment in time your particular odds may go to zero "prematurely" but that doesn't really change your overall odds.

Similarly, once 1 or 2 winning tickets are drawn, our overall odds for winning go from 5 in 2000 to 4 in 1999 to 3 in 1998 - so our odds of winning anything go down rapidly in the middle, as long as we all have equal chance to win from the start of the process, it's fair.

Simple question: How do the odds *not* change if your ticket is eliminated from the pool to begin with?

Why not just throw out half the tickets to start with -- according to you, the odds of not winning don't change. It makes no logical sense.

Your odds of being advantaged or disadvantaged along the way don't change the overall odds.

It's not being "advantaged" or "disadvantaged".. it's being completely eliminated from the pool to begin with!

- - - Updated - - -

So here are the actual odds:

Assume 20 tickets get "stuck".

Your chances of not being one of the stuck tickets is: 1980/2000: 99%
Your chances of being the winning ticket: 1/1980: 0.0505051%
So the chances of both of those happening: 0.05%

If zero tickets get stuck, your odds are 1/2000: 0.05%

Nevermind. :)

Last edited:
Mmmm. Point.

Well, if you are the attacker, there are a plenty of ways you could rig the analog raffle. I don't see how the device the picks the winning ticket makes a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting analysis!

BTW, yes, I am generally having fun with this. I realize one definition of insanity is repeating a behavior and expecting a different result. I propose that a second definition could be, "enjoying raffle preparations". :)

Which brings us to your point: how ARE we going to draw the winners? That is to say, the winning tickets that aren't tragically stuck in some seam of the drum. :-(

Let me begin by saying that Jessica has just spent an hour analyzing the rotation of the drum and its behavior with respect to ticket-snagging and ticket-losing. Of the two, it is by far the ticket-losing behavior that I care about most. We just plain can't have the occasional ticket drifting through the hatch seam and fluttering down to the ground. In Jessica's tests, every few minutes a ticket or two would waft out of the drum's hatch. It's bad enough under controlled conditions in the laboratory that is our kitchen, where we can see the tickets fly out and grab them and stuff them back in. Imagine the same thing happening in a crowd of 50-100 people, plus add alcohol, plus add a touch of hysteria. This is how middle-aged middle-class people wind up meeting the police late at night. Worse... how are we to KNOW that we caught ALL tickets that fell out?!

Also... after the drum is loaded and zip-tied shut, we are going to let people come spin it pretty much as they wish. My 11-year old boy, John, is fascinated by the whole thing and I can guarantee that there will be a LOT of spinning and at varying speeds, too. He's studying centrifugal force. A practicum, if you will.

Jessica figured out how to tape the edges of the hatch so that the hatch would seal shut. Subsequent QA has demonstrated no leakage. Whew.

As for ticket-snagging, first we see a reduced incidence of ticket snagging due to the hatch tape upgrade. Second, we have developed a highly-customized ticket de-snagger. It's available to the military through a standard procurement contract and costs only $695. It's also available in a civilian version -- obviously less robust and unwise to use in a life threatening situation -- for about $3. It's civilian name is "that multi-tool screwdriver thingie that John won at Dave & Buster's". A little poking through the sides of the drum and any snagged tickets are freed. I think when we're doing the drawing we might also open the hatch and, under the camera's watchful gaze, allow a highly-trained Professional Ticket De-Snagger sweep the inside with his/her hand to jar loose any remaining snagged tickets. Plus a small drum rotation to move things around again.

Those of you looking for the point I promised four paragraphs ago may now wish to congratulate themselves for their patience. Here's how I think we'll do the drawing:

1. Pick the Grand Prize winning ticket. Probability 1/N where N=number of actual valid tickets put into the drum. EVERYONE has a shot at the Grand Prize. Ticket goes into an envelope. Envelope is held by an ex-Babson College Women's Basketball Team Captain, who is simultaneously gorgeous and frighteningly tough.

2. Pick the Second Prize winning ticket. Probability 1/(N-1). EVERYONE who DIDN'T win the Grand Prize has a shot at Second Prize. Ticket => Envelope. Envelope => Amazon.

3. Repeat for Third Prize.

4. Repeat for Fourth Prize.

5. Repeat for Fifth Prize.

6. Repeat for Sixth Prize.

7. Repeat to see which people are so drunk at the party that they've forgotten there are only 6 prizes.

Now, we ask our awesome Amazon to give us the Sixth Prize envelope.

We open the envelope, announce the winner. If the winner isn't in the room, we get on the speakerphone and call the winner. 50-100 semi-inebriated people compete with each other to congratulate the winner. We may or may not pretend to be calling from the Nobel Committee.

Repeat for Fifth, Fourth, Third, Second.

For Grand Prize, I simply rip up the envelope and award it to Bonnie.

All good? I'm definitely interested in proposed improvements.

Alan

Good question - it might "feel" unfair, but it wouldn't be unfair - it would just be the breaks. I'm not a stats person (can still hear my German stats professor in college spitting out the words "stochastic processes"), but it seems to me that rationally (and yeah I get it, we're not rational, and it's only wise-human to recognize that that's okay - that's why it's fun that Alan is taking this so seriously, and again, I just hope he's having fun with it - good deeds shouldn't be punished) these two situations are probabilistically equivalent and technically fair:

2000 tickets:

"feels fair"
1995 in 1996 chance of getting nothing but the satisfaction of supporting an awesome cause, and all the fun of anticipating winning

"still fair, but feels (perhaps) unfair"
1975 in 1996 chance of getting nothing but the satisfaction of supporting an awesome cause, and all the fun of anticipating winning
20 in 1996 chance of having your ticket stuck in the seams so you get nothing but the satisfaction of supporting an awesome cause, and all the fun of anticipating winning

Of course, if you break it down and consider all the permutations of what if they clear tickets out of seams between drawings or not, I still think the aggregated odds will work out as above. We will all be just as likely to be more or less selectable in any given drawing.

A more interesting question (just thinking through the emotional journey) to me is: which one will be drawn first? Personally, as much as we'd all be happy to win anything, would it be better to win something and then not be eligible for grand prize (unless we've bought multiple tickets, which is another darned good reason to do so)? or to find out the grand prize winner first and then after being vicariously happy for grand prize winner, keep up hopes for runner-up prizes?

@Pollux, I can't believe you know that eBay has an old ping pong raffle machine - I can't imagine auditing (and painting numbers on) slippery, bouncy balls - that would totally give me nightmares, so if you go that route - may divine forces of good bless you with many assistants!!

- - - Updated - - -

See, this is what I like: rather than throwing in the towel on Plan A, figure out how the heck to make it work! We've got our thought experiment: clearly, in a cement mixer, we could use the original stubs (in their envelopes), and get satisfying mixing and randomness. Now all we need to do is come up with a smaller cement mixer. I like it! :) :)

See previous post; The Wife solved the containment problem. We will be able to maintain fusion conditions indefinitely.

Duct tape. Inside seams and door. Test it. Should work. Keep the odds equal.

Tesla has to be drawn first for all tickets to have equal odds.

Plan A might work if you rent a large cement mixer. Probably not welcome in the house though.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not bright enough for stats. I'm just determined that the tickets stay in the drum, we unstick 'em from the sides so that they're in the big pile in the middle, and we stick in a child's grubby, filthy paw to poke around at random and draw out a ticket or maybe a toad.

Simple question: How do the odds *not* change if your ticket is eliminated from the pool to begin with?

Why not just throw out half the tickets to start with -- according to you, the odds of not winning don't change. It makes no logical sense.

It's not being "advantaged" or "disadvantaged".. it's being completely eliminated from the pool to begin with!

- - - Updated - - -

So here are the actual odds:

Assume 20 tickets get "stuck".

Your chances of not being one of the stuck tickets is: 1980/2000: 99%
Your chances of being the winning ticket: 1/1980: 0.0505051%
So the chances of both of those happening: 0.05%

If zero tickets get stuck, your odds are 1/2000: 0.05%

Nevermind. :)

I'm not bright enough for stats. I'm just determined that the tickets stay in the drum, we unstick 'em from the sides so that they're in the big pile in the middle, and we stick in a child's grubby, filthy paw to poke around at random and draw out a ticket or maybe a toad.

Hey, any time you delegate to a child, you have a winning plan - I *love* it!! :)

I'll even take (and kiss) the toad... (hope springs eternal... after all ...)

Ooh! Rent one of those "cash phone booths", where you have to get inside and catch money as it blows around you. No, might not have the blowing power for the size of plan A stubs in envelopes. So, build a larger one, with bigger blowers. Be fun to watch a kid trying to catch a winner in it.

Or, rent a ball pit with 2000 balls and a couple of kids for sufficient mixing.

Or, near Lowell, there's a place with a large wind tube where you can experience skydiving free fall. That would have the power for plan A. Rent the whole place for the next party. Put a kid in there to catch a ticket stub!

Last edited:
I live in Washington and I am familiar with Washington politics as well as the law (my SO is a lawyer). I see a couple of problems with the initiative, one will dump it in the courts if it passes. The Washington constitution only allows initiatives to address one subject and the state supreme court has interpreted that very narrowly in the past to kill off initiatives. This initiative creates a carbon tax, but also funds the low income tax credit program, it will be challenged because of that and the opponents might win.

Another thing I find confusing is the bit about lowering the B&O tax on manufacturing because manufacturers will be paying more for electricity. Washington state ranks near the top of US states in renewable energy (and the state produced close to 11% of the entire country's renewable energy), most of it from hydro. The only reason Washington isn't ranked highest for renewable energy is there is one very large nuclear power plant still running on the Hanford reservation. Washington has one small coal powered plant which is scheduled to close soon and a couple of small natural gas power plants, but the percentage they contribute to the grid is negligible compared to hydro, nuclear, and other renewables.

They cite Seattle steel mills, or which there is one small mill. The biggest manufacturer in the state, by a massive margin is Boeing. The city of Seattle came close to bankruptcy in the early 70s when Boeing hit hard times and had to lay off a lot of people. The tech economy in the Seattle area has changed that quite a bit. Not only is Microsoft in the Seattle burbs, but all the cellular phone infrastructure work is done in and around Seattle too. And a number of other tech industries. I can see they are throwing Boring a massive bone here. I think Boeing pays more B&O tax than anyone.

The bulk of fossil fuel use in the state is for transportation and most of the natural gas in the state is used for home heating. Washington also has the second highest gasoline tax in the US. Between federal and state taxes, Washington consumers pay $0.625 a gallon for gas. End consumers will pay the bulk of this tax with higher gasoline and natural gas prices. I can see the opposition using higher gasoline taxes in attack ads on the initiative. It may pass, but it's no slam dunk. The GMO labeling initiative had massive support initially, but lost because of flat out lies told by a few special interests during the campaign.

They are trying to buy off Boeing with the big tax break, but Boeing has a natural stake in opposing carbon taxes in general. The airline industry is one of the biggest users of fossil fuels and the one industry with few viable alternatives on the horizon. It's a given the Koch family will oppose it, but Boeing might too and that would weaken support in some of the most liberal and most populated counties in the state. Boeing is still one of the biggest employers in King county and they dominate Snohomish county.

Ran this by them for comment. Got this back:

"We’re turning in our signatures tomorrow so I don’t have time to reply in depth right now except to say that the constitutional questions are almost certainly wrong. The single subject is “taxes”, and that includes the Working Families Tax Exemption. Also note that manufacturers will pay more not just for electricity (which your commenter is right is largely hydro) but also direct consumption of fossil fuels (mostly natural gas).

Regards,
yoram"

If we can pass it in both states, will be interesting to compare the results.

It's a toss-up as to which quote I like more.... :)

Hey, any time you delegate to a child, you have a winning plan - I *love* it!! :)

I'll even take (and kiss) the toad... (hope springs eternal... after all ...)

- - - Updated - - -

You should NOT put ideas out there that are hilarious and you think I would never be so foolish as to do one of them! These are ALL top-notch ideas! They are going on a list...

Ooh! Rent one of those "cash phone booths", where you have to get inside and catch money as it blows around you. No, might not have the blowing power for the size of plan A stubs in envelopes. So, build a larger one, with bigger blowers. Be fun to watch a kid trying to catch a winner in it.

Or, rent a ball pit with 2000 balls and a couple of kids for sufficient mixing.

Or, near Lowell, there's a place with a large wind tube where you can experience skydiving free fall. That would have the power for plan A. Rent the whole place for the next party. Put a kid in there to catch a ticket stub!

- - - Updated - - -

Yoram is not just anybody on their team. That's Yoram Bauman, the economist who put together their effort. Obviously, we know him. He's a good guy. And he's one of the few (only?!) economists who is a practicing comedian, touring the country doing an economics comedy act. Really! Must be seen to be believed. And funny, too! Helps to have an Econ 101 or similar course under your belt, but still 95% accessible to non-econ-aware people. You should see him do this thing!

Ran this by them for comment. Got this back:

"We’re turning in our signatures tomorrow so I don’t have time to reply in depth right now except to say that the constitutional questions are almost certainly wrong. The single subject is “taxes”, and that includes the Working Families Tax Exemption. Also note that manufacturers will pay more not just for electricity (which your commenter is right is largely hydro) but also direct consumption of fossil fuels (mostly natural gas).

Regards,
yoram"

If we can pass it in both states, will be interesting to compare the results.