Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The profile in my car has the wrong email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did very thing I could think of to have him removed from the account. i changed his email address to be mine on the Tesla app. He is not listed anywhere on the documents I signed. Yet his email persists in the profile of the car, even though it is my phone that is tied to the car.

If you actually bought the car with another person, then you will need to contact tesla to remove them from ownership of the vehicle, taking their name off the app isnt removing actual vehicle ownership.

The thread title makes it sound like its some random strangers email in your car, but what it sounds like, is its the email of the person you purchased the car with.

Yes it is his email. He backed out of the purchase and I still wanted it. When I picked up the car and purchased it, I had his name removed from the whole process, or so I thought.

Is my only option driving all the way back to a Tesla service center? I’m amazed there is no other option.

Yes it is his email. He backed out of the purchase and I still wanted it. When I picked up the car and purchased it, I had his name removed from the whole process, or so I thought.

Is my only option driving all the way back to a Tesla service center? I’m amazed there is no other option.
I am thinking I just need to create a brand new account, since that one is all F-ed up

I am thinking I just need to create a brand new account, since that one is all F-ed up
Before you do that (and mess yourself up further), you need to verify, with Tesla, what email address is in their system as the owner of the vehicle. if you are the owner of record on the vehicle, and all the documents show that, you should be able to get this sorted out with them.

Randomly creating another email account, on a sunday, then trying to sort it all out, is not what I would do if I was in your situation.

Before you do that (and mess yourself up further), you need to verify, with Tesla, what email address is in their system as the owner of the vehicle. if you are the owner of record on the vehicle, and all the documents show that, you should be able to get this sorted out with them.

Randomly creating another email account, on a sunday, then trying to sort it all out, is not what I would do if I was in your situation.
Does that require me waiting until tomorrow and driving to their service center?

I dont think driving to the service center is going to help you, but I dont work for Tesla.If it were me, I would go to the delivery center where I picked up the car, if I just picked it up in the past few days. Other than that, I would contact Tesla via whatever public facing phone number you can find for them.

I can still open and start the car with my phone, but the profile email shown on the screen doesn’t match the one on my Tesla phone app.

confused and concerned
It is a good thing that the account the car belongs to cannot be changed from within the app. There are many circumstances where you want to have someone install the app and link it to your car but you don't want to cede ownership of the car to them.

As others have said, you need to get in touch with Tesla. I would start by trying to put in a service request in the app. I doubt you will need to drive to the service center to have them change the account assigned to the car. You might need to prove you are the owner.

Linking/unlinking accounts to your car is easy. Changing ownership is more work as it should be.

The app now has a transfer ownership feature. If the car shows up in the tesla app for your almost co purchaser, he should be able to do a private party transfer to you using this feature. It takes just minutes.

No proof of transfer is required. Just look under ...account->add remove products....

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BitJam
I have exactly the same issue on a week old MY.
Incorrect email address on my driver profile (an email address that I haven’t used for 3 years, have no access to it, and was not used at any point when purchasing the car). The incorrect email address doesn’t exist anywhere with Tesla (as I’ve been in contact with Tesla via email and phone), it’s nowhere on my phone, the only place it exists is on the Driver profile on the GUI.
A factory reset has been suggested but they are nervous because they suggest I could be locked out of the car and essentially have no access to the car afterwards. I am waiting for escalation of the issue and reply back of a resolution on what to do next.