Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Real Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8,500 for pads, rotors and calipers

I’ve never had to replace a caliper on a car before. But still, Teslas are expensive to repair and maintain because only Tesla is making parts for the cars. 195 an hour for their labor rate is on the high end too.

this article says don’t own a Tesla out of warranty, but I use the same statement for the European cars too.

interesting on the Consumer Report ratings. They give low ratings for overall reliability and cite the paint and trim! Hahaha

Reactions: BlindPass
That’s why I posted it. I’d think for the most part this would cover all Tesla’s. I buy a vehicle to drive and use for the long term but sure don’t want to pay those prices. I remember people paying lots of money for replacement screens in their Prius but after a few years the price went down.

Yeah, I prefer to keep cars for long term as well so this makes me nervous about buying one.

I question almost all those numbers ... I recently had front rotors and pads replaced, it was $1030 - but was under warranty. Who replaces calipers? Never in my life have I replaced calipers.

Current MCU upgrades for X/S are quoted at $2300 for both screens, $4k each? Come on.

I question almost all those numbers ... I recently had front rotors and pads replaced, it was $1030 - but was under warranty. Who replaces calipers? Never in my life have I replaced calipers.

Current MCU upgrades for X/S are quoted at $2300 for both screens, $4k each? Come on.

So your out of pocket was $0? I thought rotors and pads are considered consumables and not warrantied.

One of the reason for the high costs of totally replacing all the brake components is that they are pretty high quality BREMBO systems to begin with.

Sandy Monro noted this when he did his tear down of the 3 and Y.

Tesla uses higher end components than some of the other small sedans/suv do. They should be more robust, last longer and provide better performance throughout their life...but be more expensive to replace when they finally wear out.

Perhaps all part of their "Million Mile Car" strategy.

• Informative
Reactions: LicenseToDrive
Agreeing with those numbers being absurd.
Replacing calipers can be a profitable sideline for certain repair shops, but actually needing to replace a caliper is rare. I've replaced a single caliper, on a BMW that had seen lots of HPDE track time. The brakes were dragging slightly. But I only swapped the caliper because a rebuilt one was under $50, letting me avoid risk and potential delay. I cleaned up the original caliper and installed a under-$10 seal kit. That could have been done in under 10 minutes if I hadn't done the (excessive) cleaning.
Brake pads are another area where the price spread can be absurd. You can spend thousands on exotic pads, hundreds on trendy track-worthy pads, or $4 for RockAuto closeouts that work fine for daily use.

Regardless if numbers are 100% correct or not - you will be at the mercy of Tesla and nobody else can do any work on the car. I think we will see soon (when many M3 will be out of warranty) what is the real cost of owning the car. This will be very interesting :)

Regardless if numbers are 100% correct or not - you will be at the mercy of Tesla and nobody else can do any work on the car. I think we will see soon (when many M3 will be out of warranty) what is the real cost of owning the car. This will be very interesting :)

This is incorrect.
Yes, there are some things that need to be done through Tesla. There are many others that any qualified mechanic can work on.

Second, the X and the Y are very dissimilar and the repair costs on one don’t translate to the other.

Reactions: Reborn
This is incorrect.
Yes, there are some things that need to be done through Tesla. There are many others that any qualified mechanic can work on.

Second, the X and the Y are very dissimilar and the repair costs on one don’t translate to the other.

Not quite precise - MOST of the work must be done by Tesla. an only a SMALL portion can be done by someone else.

As for the cost MX and MY - I agree, it may be different. However, the point is that as most of the cars are under warranty, it is extremely difficult to calculate the total cost of ownership for now. My bet - it will not be cheaper than the regular ICE car. My believe that people like us who buy EV's do this DESPITE it is more expensive by the end of the day. It is just more fun to own as well.

Not quite precise - MOST of the work must be done by Tesla. an only a SMALL portion can be done by someone else.

As for the cost MX and MY - I agree, it may be different. However, the point is that as most of the cars are under warranty, it is extremely difficult to calculate the total cost of ownership for now. My bet - it will not be cheaper than the regular ICE car. My believe that people like us who buy EV's do this DESPITE it is more expensive by the end of the day. It is just more fun to own as well.

Perhaps, however my response was to the statement that Tesla is the only one that can do "any" of the work.
Most of the typical work can be done elsewhere. (Tire rotations, brakes, cleaning the AC condenser coils, etc).
While the repair bills are higher than your typical ICE vehicle, I would suggest they are on par with other premium vehicles (Jag, BMW, etc).

I really dont know. Even if there was labor, it would still be under $3k.

not to start a senseless debate about something I have no firsthand knowledge of, but I can see where after tax on 2300 plus Tesla claiming 3 hours of labor can get the author to 3k+ on an MCU replacement.

but that's assuming 3 hours of labor, which when it comes to auto repairs is not that uncommon for what would seem to take less than the "book time." Car repairs are infamous for booking more time than the repairs actually take. This is how auto shops and body repair shops make money off our insurance companies. haha

Perhaps, however my response was to the statement that Tesla is the only one that can do "any" of the work.
Most of the typical work can be done elsewhere. (Tire rotations, brakes, cleaning the AC condenser coils, etc).
While the repair bills are higher than your typical ICE vehicle, I would suggest they are on par with other premium vehicles (Jag, BMW, etc).

Well, IMHO Tesla is not a premium car. Neither interior nor exterior wise.

My MX was out of warranty and I never ever had a brake problem. Or changed rotors in four years. I had A/C issues that was $263 for a sensor for the battery and that’s it. Just tires and the two services that were with the car. Oh and a HEPA filter replacement right before I sold it to CARMAX (dammit!). So the carrying cost for the Y is ridiculous compared to the Y. So I’m super happy about that.

Brake system is just about the same in all cars. Even in a Tesla because it is one of few components that still remain mechanical. I just swapped out rotors and pads on my P car. Dealer wanted $1500 per axle incl labor. Bought all the genuine parts needed, did the work myself and saved $2000 doing all 4 corners. I plan to do the same with my Y when the time comes.