Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2 per mile, Tesla safety score insurance hike 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow...are there other factors that are making your rates so high? Accidents...speeding tickets, etc>or maybe I missed that. We pay around $900 a year with Liberty Mutual.
Wow...are there other factors that are making your rates so high? Accidents...speeding tickets, etc>or maybe I missed that. We pay around $900 a year with Liberty Mutual.
That's what I'm saying!

I've never been in an accident I've never had a ticket hell I've never even been pulled over before
I'm almost 40 years old I've been driving for like 20 years this bs makes no sense to me

Last edited:
Long story short it's still the cheapest option which is pissing me off it's a pill I have to swallow.

I am upset about the variable rate that can be screwed up by bad sensors
Which you have zero way to fight or have rectified
call the insurance and tell em you have a bad sensor, and they say
lol that sucks get it fixed and it'll fix itself as your premium adjusts next cycle

"What you paid before" is not relevant, because insurance is based on many factors. The fact that Tesla is still the cheapest means it ISNT the safety score, even though you want to position it as such. If it was, all the other companies would be cheaper.
I never said I was concerned about what I was paying before
Someone asked.

As we drive down this road I'm sure in the future hellscape you'll get charged for driving when it's raining
Because statistically a lot more accidents happen when the weather is poor

Reactions: afadeev
I never said I was concerned about what I was paying before
Someone asked.

As we drive down this road I'm sure in the future hellscape you'll get charged for driving when it's raining
Because statistically a lot more accidents happen when the weather is poor
Thats probably already figured into rates where it rains a lot, actually. And yes, you did say you were concerned about what you were paying before. "im livid, I used to pay X and now I pay Y" is in your first post, and if thats not concerned, this thread wouldnt exist.

Thats probably already figured into rates where it rains a lot, actually. And yes, you did say you were concerned about what you were paying before. "im livid, I used to pay X and now I pay Y" is in your first post, and if thats not concerned, this thread wouldnt exist.
You want to quote that one?

The line you're referring to says I was quoted $150 but now because of the safety score I'm paying $210

I don't care what I used to pay half a country away

I care about what I was quoted and what is rapidly ballooning

How is Tesla the cheapest? What am I not seeing when you say that> we pay $900 a year...

They covered that in post #5, and just like what they paid in CA is not relevant to what they are being quoted in their new location, what anyone else pays isnt really relevant to them either. People try to compare insurance rates with others online all the time, and its pretty pointless because of how rate quotes work (using location as well as a number of other things that are pretty specific to a single person, that have nothing to do with safety scores).

I signed up in California
and I called in, to transfer in Texas
I was never made aware of a variable rate because it didn't exist in California
You got a new declaration when you switched states that included all disclosures needed. If you did not, I'd file a complaint with the TX Insurance Commissioner.

Again, your real issue here is that there is no competition to Tesla's rates because all rates in TX are crazy for you. You should be complaining about TX insurance in general, not on the small detail that Tesla wasn't able to save you quite as much money as you had hoped vs the competition, while still being the cheapest by far.

All insurance is getting crazy. Some companies are switching completely to 6 month polices so that they can adjust more quickly for inflation, repair costs, and other risks. You're just on the front end of that with a company that adjusts monthly.

I mean yeah fair enough
There's just excessive salt
There should definitely be a process in place to adjust the automatic insurance rate thing when it's obviously sensor problems and bad reporting from the car itself
There's no way in hell I'm getting a forward collision warning every 8 seconds and the system should know that that's erroneous data and at the very least someone from the insurance department should be able to call and adjust for that

There's no way in hell I'm getting a forward collision warning every 8 seconds
You're correct, but Tesla isn't saying you are getting one every 8 seconds either.
Per your screenshot, they said you got 14.3 FCW's PER THOUSAND MILES. Notice that the units of this are not PER DRIVE but normalized to 1000 miles.

Per your own data, you drive about 100 miles a month.
So you got 1.43 FCW's over the whole month. Which would be one every 2 hours on average at 35 MPH.
I mean, for the data they have, and how little you drive, it appears literally one FCW could cause this number for you. This is the downside to such low usage, single events can have a big impact.

You're correct, but Tesla isn't saying you are getting one every 8 seconds either.
Per your screenshot, they said you got 14.3 FCW's PER THOUSAND MILES. Notice that the units of this are not PER DRIVE but normalized to 1000 miles.

Per your own data, you drive about 100 miles a month.
So you got 1.43 FCW's over the whole month. Which would be one every 2 hours on average at 35 MPH.
I mean, for the data they have, and how little you drive, it appears literally one FCW could cause this number for you. This is the downside to such low usage, single events can have a big impact.
Yeah but look at the screenshot of the breakdown of the days of the month and one day has 130 one day has 121 day has blah blah

And since everything is averaged
I averaged a safety score of 0 for those days
A safety score of 0 seven days
out of 30 days drags me down on average

And it's 14 point whatever normalized over a thousand miles Yes but that's just because 14 point whatever is the maximum scale

Like hard turning or driving at night has a maximum scale of 15.2

Screenshot_20231130_153758_Tesla.jpg

So if I pull open the readout for the trip data on 11:20 or whatever date that was reading 131 it shows that I had a single trip of 19 minutes
And that's how I arrived at every 8 seconds or so

although we don't know if that's an equal distribution over 19 minutes or just a complete spam of 130 events all at once

Last edited:
We switched from Tesla to Nationwide a couple of months ago. The policy was a fixed amount for twelve months which was less than we were paying Tesla with a 98 safety score. We have a policy that gives a rebate for using their phone based tracking app. The app measures hard braking, fast acceleration, driving between midnight and 5 am and miles driven. We're on track to a 30% rebate. If you don't mind being monitored, check with a Nationwide agent.

Reactions: KuramaKitsune
We switched from Tesla to Nationwide a couple of months ago. The policy was a fixed amount for twelve months which was less than we were paying Tesla with a 98 safety score. We have a policy that gives a rebate for using their phone based tracking app. The app measures hard braking, fast acceleration, driving between midnight and 5 am and miles driven. We're on track to a 30% rebate. If you don't mind being monitored, check with a Nationwide agent.
Sounds like Nationwide IS on my side
I'LL GET A QUOTE AND THEN POST IT HERE AGAIN SHOWING A BILLION DOLLARS
(I was not aware talk to text could be capitalized That's interesting)

With SS 2.0 where they ding you after 10pm, it sucks. In general I use FSDb 100% of the time on highway, and I have a curfew after 10. I used to use FSDb on city most of time also but the past few releases making it impossible to use. Since they don't count braking at yellow light now, it is way better then before, otherwise I will get lots of hard braking dings. I also changed FCW to late and slow way down before a turn. The lowest SS in past two years was 97. It used to I can use FSD miles to cancel out a bad day but now they don't count it, so if you were dinged, then you have to drive manually keeping 100 SS for few hundreds miles to bring it back - the time and charge spent just doesn't worth it and there is no guarantee it will be 100 when driving manually.

Last edited:
You can also check out Costco connect, for me I paid 82/month for 500k/1m/1k deductible for 100 score, I have checked other companies, they are 2-4 times easily with less coverage. All other cars including premium brands have lower insurance cost than Tesla.

Last edited: