Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety score 99?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned the car for 3 months, no problems at all. A few weeks ago, my Safety score was stuck at 96. I couldn’t figure out how to get it higher. Then I paid off my car loan, I never intended to keep it for long anyway. I drove the car a couple miles, then I noticed my safety score jumped to 99! The only difference is the car was paid off only a few hours earlier, but my driving hasn’t changed. Common sense tells me this is pure coincidence and we know that Tesla is always making changes. Now I can't get any score lower than 99, even if I "let loose" once in a while. A part of me wonders....

Last edited:
Yes, but the loan was from my bank, not Tesla. I think with the volume of transactions occurring at Tesla , it’s not reasonable to think they could react this fast to a single customer.…..it took a while for my bank to send me the title to my car. There is something else going on not related to my loan.

I've owned the car for 3 months, no problems at all. A few weeks ago, my Safety score was stuck at 96. I couldn’t figure out how to get it higher. Then I paid off my car loan, I never intended to keep it for long anyway. I drove the car a couple miles, then I noticed my safety score jumped to 99! The only difference is the car was paid off only a few hours earlier, but my driving hasn’t changed. Common sense tells me this is pure coincidence and we know that Tesla is always making changes. Now I can't get any score lower than 99, even if I "let loose" once in a while. A part of me wonders....
what state are you from? CA? Your score does not affect your insurance rate right?

what state are you from? CA? Your score does not affect your insurance rate right?
yes CA. I thought score was used to some extent to determine premium, as long as it’s above a certain number. But after seeing my score jump from 96 to 99, and being within stated miles per year, my premium is the same. So there’s been no consequence of being a near perfect driver. Aside, I don’t like the after 10pm penalty, I did it once early on, and I was docked 20 points!

Reactions: zoomer0056
yes CA. I thought score was used to some extent to determine premium, as long as it’s above a certain number. But after seeing my score jump from 96 to 99, and being within stated miles per year, my premium is the same. So there’s been no consequence of being a near perfect driver. Aside, I don’t like the after 10pm penalty, I did it once early on, and I was docked 20 points!
Premium is for sure affected by safety score. But Tesla decides, not the driver. I just read the Tesla Insurance info on the website. Everyone starts at 90 safety score. Seems if you went to 99 you should get a reduction. But how would they make $ that way.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Tesla is being sued over their arbitrary collision warnings and use of telematics in the safety score in ways that do not promote safe driving. I got them from parked cars as I road by. It has been filed in California. I am still looking over the lawsuit, but it is a Class Action.